Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My top three disappointing teams

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Danko View Post
    2006-Made the drive all night to Baton Rouge for the Saturday game after we won on Friday night. Number 1 team in the country and we blew it after having the lead. Still remember being heckled by their fans as we left a few minutes early since my buddy was giving them fits the entire time. Long ride home Sunday with a hangover

2016-Never in a million years did I think we?d lose to Arizona. Dalbec?s name will haunt my dreams for years to come. From national seed to losing at home in two. Brutal finish to that season

Honorable mention-2015 msu baseball. I know it was just a regional in 2014 baseball, but we had also come off making the finals in 2013, we had the great season in football, had a good football year in 2015 and Dak on campus. Just felt like everything was starting to go MSU?s way in athletics and man did we suck. Granted we came back with a brilliant 2016 campaign (highlighted above unfortunately) but 2015 was the only year I can recall just not watching us play anymore, my blood pressure just could not handle it any longer that year
    2015 was a weird kind of year. Cohen built that team around the dead ball so when the NCAA changed the ball, it screwed our team. Ross Mitchell went from damn near unhittable to throwing BP. It was similar to if starting in August, Leach wasn't allowed to throw a forward pass and he only has a couple of months to work it out.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Appreciate you asking. He got completely shutdown about a month ago(he's been Gulf Coasts Landon Sims, coaching first base since then). The shoulder had progressed pretty well but then the elbow started having problems. Thought he had a torn ucl but turned out to be a bad flexor tendon strain. The Shuckers team orthopedist has been taking care of him. He's had more MRI this spring than I've had in my entire life lol. Gulf Coast season came to an end in the playoffs last friday on a walk off 2 run homer in the bottom of the 9th, and he started rehab yesterday at a great training facility here in Jones county. Got some great trainers and he's looking to get fully healthy this summer. As rough of a spring as he's had, we've been truly blessed that it wasn't much worse. I really appreicate you asking, thank you!

On another note. Riley Self is the pitching coach at Gulf Coast and my son got really close with him. It was really cool to see that CWS Championship Ring up close! Riley's a good guy.
    Awesome stuff Man. How much college eligibility does he have left and what kinda bat does he have?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    This is baseball, but 2018 football is easily the most disappointing of all state teams. I love mullen, but I'm really disappointed he left such a great team
    This by far followed closely by Mullen choking in T Town in 14 and then om in oxford........that will be sickening for many many years......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lastmajordog View Post
    This by far followed closely by Mullen choking in T Town in 14 and then om in oxford........that will be sickening for many many years......
    Mullen's playcalling in the 2014 Bama was absolute garbage. One of his worst at State. People want to blame Dakota and his 3 picks- but Mullen did him no favors.

I mean it happens...I've been there. But he picked a bad to stop sniffing glue.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Mullen's playcalling in the 2014 Bama was absolute garbage. One of his worst at State. People want to blame Dakota and his 3 picks- but Mullen did him no favors.

Still think it'd have been near blasphemy to keep a 1 loss team with the year we had out of the playoffs that year had we just handled business in Oxford but no of course we lose to them then get trounced by Georgia Tech.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BHildreth3 View Post
    ....and...how can you forget Jon Harden coming out of the bullpen to throw that 50 mph curveball that made guys fall down....then the FIRE with ol Pete Young closing it out the 9th with 3rd baseman dirt all over his uniform Man, i miss that team and YES it was the best team in the history of our program.
    Damn, no way I should've left him off. I'll blame it on age. Yeah, JH was one of my favorite all time players. He made Albert "don't call me Joey" Belle look like Bugs Bunny swinging at those super slow pitches and wrapping himself up in knots. His FB may have been 80 on a good day but it looked like it was 100 MPH after the junk he threw up there.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Here you go:

3) 1989, we were #1 most of the year, we were loaded with depth and talent only to lose on Sunday in the regional at the Dudy to North Carolina. I think we had 6 total losses for the year!

2) 1985, 4 major league all-stars, a wicked shot off the bat into Gene Morgan's leg pretty much cost us Natty.

1) 2022, season isn't officially over but it seems to be over. After winning a Natty, celebrating like it was going out of style, injuries to our pitching staff plus the high expectations with "most of the line-up back except pitchers, we have been so inconsistent and total flop thinking we would make another run to Omaha!

That and Greg Ellena. Stuff nightmares are made of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    Thigpen hit a grand slam in like the 6th or 7th inning and then Ellena walked us off with the dinger to beat us 6-5. Absolutely gut wrenching.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Oh hell, I can't believe you just brought up that guy's name! Horror story.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    Oh hell, I can't believe you just brought up that guy's name! Horror story.
    Has to be the worst back-to-back days in our sports history.

vCash
    Has to be the worst back-to-back days in our sports history.
    It's bad when you can recall those instances from 37 years ago like it happened last season. Gut punch. Living and dying with MSU sports. Geez.

vCash

And he was so damn nervous looking that day the players had to lead HIM. Hell, Dan at least fake confidence if you?re scared as shit.

That said the no call DPI just before half still pisses me off, and One more stop in the fourth and I think we come back.

ALSO, they fumbled the ****ing ball on their opening TD drive in the 1st quarter at the 50 and we recovered but jackass refused to ask for a replay which was protocol back then. That was a big frigging deal in that game. It was a hell of a strip by somebody too.

vCash
    I?ve heard this crap from others over the years but back then it was enough. We could hit like a mofo and Polk would've been forced to throw a Gene Morgan that he under valued.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    It's bad when you can recall those instances from 37 years ago like it happened last season. Gut punch. Living and dying with MSU sports. Geez.
    I can still see Gene getting hit like it was YESTERDAY. Fortunately the Ellena HR is not as vivid. But the gut wrenching part, well, some things never die.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    Still think it'd have been near blasphemy to keep a 1 loss team with the year we had out of the playoffs that year had we just handled business in Oxford but no of course we lose to them then get trounced by Georgia Tech.
    Most of my circle says no, but if Mullen & & Geoff don’t mail in the egg we make the playoffs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    God only knows what a coach with half a brain coulda done. Mullen & STATE Fans will regret his hasty departure fo a while.
    10-2 at worst. 11-1 most likely

vCash

My memory may fail me , but what I remember is Mullen trying to run on Bama when he shouldn’t have and passing when he shouldn’t, especially the first half. Seems Bama defense was way ahead of the play calling, but again maybe I was just so upset my memory has failed.....