Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My top three disappointing teams

vCash

My top three disappointing teams

Here you go:

3) 1989, we were #1 most of the year, we were loaded with depth and talent only to lose on Sunday in the regional at the Dudy to North Carolina. I think we had 6 total losses for the year!

2) 1985, 4 major league all-stars, a wicked shot off the bat into Gene Morgan's leg pretty much cost us Natty.

1) 2022, season isn't officially over but it seems to be over. After winning a Natty, celebrating like it was going out of style, injuries to our pitching staff plus the high expectations with "most of the line-up back except pitchers, we have been so inconsistent and total flop thinking we would make another run to Omaha!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Here you go:

3) 1989, we were #1 most of the year, we were loaded with depth and talent only to lose on Sunday in the regional at the Dudy to North Carolina. I think we had 6 total losses for the year!

2) 1985, 4 major league all-stars, a wicked shot off the bat into Gene Morgan's leg pretty much cost us Natty.

1) 2022, season isn't officially over but it seems to be over. After winning a Natty, celebrating like it was going out of style, injuries to our pitching staff plus the high expectations with "most of the line-up back except pitchers, we have been so inconsistent and total flop thinking we would make another run to Omaha!
    89 was 54-14 but the point remains that one stung.

vCash
    This is baseball, but 2018 football is easily the most disappointing of all state teams. I love mullen, but I'm really disappointed he left such a great team

vCash
    Let's add 2006 baseball, which was ranked #1 early in the season, but missed Hoover. We did actually make the NCAA Tournament anyway though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    89 was 54-14 but the point remains that one stung.
    Man I still have nightmares about that. I was at every game of that regional and still can't believe we lost.

vCash
    I still say the '89 team is the best team in school history. Yeah, I know they didn't make the cws yada, yada but they were nasty. Tommy Raffo, Pete Young, Jody Hurst, Winford bros, Richie Grayum, Brad Hildreth, Cohen, Burke Masters, Tracy Echols, Jon Shave, Bobby Reed, Tracy Jobes, Chris George, Chuck Daniel, Rob Norman, Chuck Holley. Turn around and made the CWS the following year but that team was not as good as the '89.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    I still say the '89 team is the best team in school history. Yeah, I know they didn't make the cws yada, yada but they were nasty. Tommy Raffo, Pete Young, Jody Hurst, Winford bros, Richie Grayum, Brad Hildreth, Cohen, Burke Masters, Tracy Echols, Jon Shave, Bobby Reed, Tracy Jobes, Chris George, Chuck Daniel, Rob Norman, Chuck Holley. Turn around and made the CWS the following year but that team was not as good as the '89.
    I think so as well, the lineup could swing the bat, seems like 1-9 all hit .300 or better. Bobby Reed was a true ace and Chris George was very good as well. Depth was the best ever probably.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    This is baseball, but 2018 football is easily the most disappointing of all state teams. I love mullen, but I'm really disappointed he left such a great team
    God only knows what a coach with half a brain coulda done. Mullen & STATE Fans will regret his hasty departure fo a while.
    Last edited by OLJWales; 05-07-2022 at 05:44 PM.

vCash
    Best lineup and it's not even close. Pitching wasnt deep. That was Achilles heel.

Banned
    vCash
    Somebody remind me. Wasn't this the team that beat the Huskies and Jody Hurst Scaled the Left Field Foul Pole? I was there.

vCash
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    If we had just hired an average coach we win 10 that year and get to a NY6 bowl. A good coach probably playoff

vCash
    2018 JoMo

vCash
    2018 JoMo was loaded with talent. 2022 baseball has very little talent.

vCash
    He'll always be an asshole to me for that. But hey, karma is a bitch because the decision ended up ending his career.

vCash

Nobody ever talks about this team that coulda won it all but got beat at home in the finals in a regional when Clark & Palmeiro were sophomores and had a damn good shortstop I think his name was Bob Parker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Best lineup and it's not even close. Pitching wasnt deep. That was Achilles heel.
    This is why I say Lemonis isn’t given enough credit. He won a National Championship last year with an an average lineup but with some incredible pitching performances.

He did get it done when he had the players to do it when no one else has.

ETA Kellum Clark, Tanner Allen & others got timely hits where this years team just hasn’t.
    Last edited by Schultzy; 05-07-2022 at 11:48 PM.

vCash
    Here's my thing about baseball in general:

It's really hard to win at a high level. There are so many things that can go wrong on any given day.

1984, 1989, and 2016- all probably should have been in Omaha. Those 1980's teams ended up essentially finishing the equivalent of a Super Regional today.

Our 2021 team IMO wasn't as good as our 2019 team. 1985 was probably the best team in that field that year.

It's like that in MLB too.

So as far as MSU baseball if we make a Super Regional I consider it a good year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    2018 JoMo was loaded with talent. 2022 baseball has very little talent.
    We have at least one maybe two first round picks on our team in Landon Sims and Logan Tanner. Besides them, most of our team is going to get drafted in the first 10 rounds.

More than anything injuries have killed us with baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Let's add 2006 baseball, which was ranked #1 early in the season, but missed Hoover. We did actually make the NCAA Tournament anyway though.
    That team was always fools gold early on.