Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My top three disappointing teams

vCash

I always considered 84 better than 85

Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Here's my thing about baseball in general:

It's really hard to win at a high level. There are so many things that can go wrong on any given day.

1984, 1989, and 2016- all probably should have been in Omaha. Those 1980's teams ended up essentially finishing the equivalent of a Super Regional today.

Our 2021 team IMO wasn't as good as our 2019 team. 1985 was probably the best team in that field that year.

It's like that in MLB too.

So as far as MSU baseball if we make a Super Regional I consider it a good year.
    In 84, we had Bobby Parker at SS. In 84 Palmeiro hit 29 homers, Clark 28

vCash
    In my lifetime it is probably:

1. 2016- I still believe this team was the best State team I have ever seen(was not around for 85 or 89). We were loaded with power and XBH potential top to bottom in our lineup and had an amazing staff that was almost lights out at the backend. I truly thought we were going to win the whole thing. Yes I still hate Bobby Dalbec and no his homer he hit in Game 2 still has not landed.

2. 2003- I doubt I will ever forgive Polk for starting Maholm against MTSU in that regional. We could have beaten them with a bullpen game. I can still vividly remember the 9th inning of that Sunday regional. Just a gut wrenching feeling.

3. 2019- Although it was not a disappointment, I mean we ended up in Omaha after all, I just felt like we were the team of destiny. We were an amazing lineup top to bottom, we had a shutdown ace in Small, great arms in the bullpen, and we had Jake who you just felt like was not going to let us lose. On top of all that, we had some black magic going on in those black jerseys. When we beat Auburn I thought it was our time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post

Nobody ever talks about this team that coulda won it all but got beat at home in the finals in a regional when Clark & Palmeiro were sophomores and had a damn good shortstop I think his name was Bob Parker.
    yes, we lost to New Orleans in the regional finals......
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    '84 was Raffy's triple crown year. He hit over .400 with 29 hr's and 94 rbis. Clark hit in the high .300's I believe and one less homer (28) and one less RBI (93) than Raffy. Just think about that. Unreal. Glad I got to watch them.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    https://thebaseballcube.com/content/...55384f0a925c3d

We didnt have the pitching in 1984
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    2006-Made the drive all night to Baton Rouge for the Saturday game after we won on Friday night. Number 1 team in the country and we blew it after having the lead. Still remember being heckled by their fans as we left a few minutes early since my buddy was giving them fits the entire time. Long ride home Sunday with a hangover

2016-Never in a million years did I think we?d lose to Arizona. Dalbec?s name will haunt my dreams for years to come. From national seed to losing at home in two. Brutal finish to that season

Honorable mention-2015 msu baseball. I know it was just a regional in 2014 baseball, but we had also come off making the finals in 2013, we had the great season in football, had a good football year in 2015 and Dak on campus. Just felt like everything was starting to go MSU?s way in athletics and man did we suck. Granted we came back with a brilliant 2016 campaign (highlighted above unfortunately) but 2015 was the only year I can recall just not watching us play anymore, my blood pressure just could not handle it any longer that year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    This is baseball, but 2018 football is easily the most disappointing of all state teams. I love mullen, but I'm really disappointed he left such a great team
    While the talent on the 2018 team was high I think we had a legitimate shot at winning it all in 2014 but Mullen choked vs Bama again and then we still had a shot at going until he lost vs OM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    While the talent on the 2018 team was high I think we had a legitimate shot at winning it all in 2014 but Mullen choked vs Bama again and then we still had a shot at going until he lost vs OM.
    That was a tough pill to swallow bc bama was down. That was one of the worst saban teams at bama, and we choked. Mullen panicked early, but he had a strong assist from our best qb ever in that game... man, those Ints were brutal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    God only knows what a coach with half a brain coulda done. Mullen & STATE Fans will regret his hasty departure fo a while.
    You mean, FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    We pissed in some mighty fine whiskey those final 2 games.

vCash
    We pissed in some mighty fine whiskey those final 2 games.
    You always have a way with words, my friend! Have some rep!

vCash
    I'm still all in as this year being my most disappointed year, doesn't seem real having 6 starters back and not making the SEC tourney (it's still kinda in play). Maybe we get hot the next two weekends......cough cough, I'm hot right now cutting up some trees for firewood. And I gotta go the distance as I don't have a reliver! LMBO! I'm old but tough!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    I still say the '89 team is the best team in school history. Yeah, I know they didn't make the cws yada, yada but they were nasty. Tommy Raffo, Pete Young, Jody Hurst, Winford bros, Richie Grayum, Brad Hildreth, Cohen, Burke Masters, Tracy Echols, Jon Shave, Bobby Reed, Tracy Jobes, Chris George, Chuck Daniel, Rob Norman, Chuck Holley. Turn around and made the CWS the following year but that team was not as good as the '89.
    ....and...how can you forget Jon Harden coming out of the bullpen to throw that 50 mph curveball that made guys fall down....then the FIRE with ol Pete Young closing it out the 9th with 3rd baseman dirt all over his uniform Man, i miss that team and YES it was the best team in the history of our program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Danko View Post
    2016-Never in a million years did I think we?d lose to Arizona. Dalbec?s name will haunt my dreams for years to come. From national seed to losing at home in two. Brutal finish to that season
    That was excruciating. Remember it like it was last week, for several reasons.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    You always have a way with words, my friend! Have some rep!
    How's your boy's arm doing these days CC?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Here you go:

3) 1989, we were #1 most of the year, we were loaded with depth and talent only to lose on Sunday in the regional at the Dudy to North Carolina. I think we had 6 total losses for the year!

2) 1985, 4 major league all-stars, a wicked shot off the bat into Gene Morgan's leg pretty much cost us Natty.

1) 2022, season isn't officially over but it seems to be over. After winning a Natty, celebrating like it was going out of style, injuries to our pitching staff plus the high expectations with "most of the line-up back except pitchers, we have been so inconsistent and total flop thinking we would make another run to Omaha!
    Good list, and I agree.

In 1989 I believe we were #1 in the country going into the regionals. That year I was Up North with little-to-no college baseball news, so it didn't hurt as much as if I had been in Mississippi, like in 1985 and 2022.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    This is baseball, but 2018 football is easily the most disappointing of all state teams. I love mullen, but I'm really disappointed he left such a great team
    True about 2018, but 2001 broke my heart. Broke my spirit. I was up there believing with Rosebowl and I might have even made hotel reservations in Pasadena for New Year's Day. I have never been ALL IN for football since.

Narrator: He didn't need the reservations.

vCash
    How's your boy's arm doing these days CC?
    Appreciate you asking. He got completely shutdown about a month ago(he's been Gulf Coasts Landon Sims, coaching first base since then). The shoulder had progressed pretty well but then the elbow started having problems. Thought he had a torn ucl but turned out to be a bad flexor tendon strain. The Shuckers team orthopedist has been taking care of him. He's had more MRI this spring than I've had in my entire life lol. Gulf Coast season came to an end in the playoffs last friday on a walk off 2 run homer in the bottom of the 9th, and he started rehab yesterday at a great training facility here in Jones county. Got some great trainers and he's looking to get fully healthy this summer. As rough of a spring as he's had, we've been truly blessed that it wasn't much worse. I really appreicate you asking, thank you!

On another note. Riley Self is the pitching coach at Gulf Coast and my son got really close with him. It was really cool to see that CWS Championship Ring up close! Riley's a good guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Appreciate you asking. He got completely shutdown about a month ago(he's been Gulf Coasts Landon Sims, coaching first base since then). The shoulder had progressed pretty well but then the elbow started having problems. Thought he had a torn ucl but turned out to be a bad flexor tendon strain. The Shuckers team orthopedist has been taking care of him. He's had more MRI this spring than I've had in my entire life lol. Gulf Coast season came to an end in the playoffs last friday on a walk off 2 run homer in the bottom of the 9th, and he started rehab yesterday at a great training facility here in Jones county. Got some great trainers and he's looking to get fully healthy this summer. As rough of a spring as he's had, we've been truly blessed that it wasn't much worse. I really appreicate you asking, thank you!

On another note. Riley Self is the pitching coach at Gulf Coast and my son got really close with him. It was really cool to see that CWS Championship Ring up close! Riley's a good guy.
    As you know shutting things down and doing the right thing in Rehab is the key. I wish your son all the best, I hope to hear good things about him next spring!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    As you know shutting things down and doing the right thing in Rehab is the key. I wish your son all the best, I hope to hear good things about him next spring!
    Hindsight we probably should've just shut it down at the beginning, he just wanted to get on the field so bad. Everytime the shoulder would get better, he'd get in and it would flare again. Up and down all season and then when the shoulder was seemingly better the elbow went down(ortho said from favoring the shoulder). Just a mess all season(kinda like State season), but glad the injuries weren't worse. Appreciate all the well wishes and thoughts, thank you!