Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keith Law (Athletic) Top 100 2022 MLB Draft Rankings (SEC Players & Commits)

vCash

Keith Law (Athletic) Top 100 2022 MLB Draft Rankings (SEC Players & Commits)

Stolen from The Rant. The article is apparently behind a paywall, so I'm not linking it.

79. Bradley Loftin, LHP, DeSoto Central High (MISSISSIPPI STATE COMMIT)

Loftin is a 6-foot-3 southpaw who?s been up to 94 mph with a plus changeup and a good delivery he repeats well. He just started throwing a breaking ball for the first time this year ? the same thing Madison Bumgarner did, which worked out OK for him, I guess. Loftin is expected to be a tough sign with his commitment to Mississippi State.

A lefthander that throws 94? And he's expected to make it here? Yes, please.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    Stolen from The Rant. The article is apparently behind a paywall, so I'm not linking it.

79. Bradley Loftin, LHP, DeSoto Central High (MISSISSIPPI STATE COMMIT)

Loftin is a 6-foot-3 southpaw who?s been up to 94 mph with a plus changeup and a good delivery he repeats well. He just started throwing a breaking ball for the first time this year ? the same thing Madison Bumgarner did, which worked out OK for him, I guess. Loftin is expected to be a tough sign with his commitment to Mississippi State.

A lefthander that throws 94? And he's expected to make it here? Yes, please.
    If this year has taught us anything, it's that velocity doesn't matter if you can't find the strike zone. Hopefully he throws strikes.

vCash
    Looks like a project for his Freshman year.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    He will make it here. 100% no doubt. Spoken with people in and around that program and there is no question he will be wearing Maroon and White next spring. He has the chance to be our next lefty ace in this program.

vCash
    The portal is where it's at

vCash
    We get Loftin and Holcombe here they will both help, pretty quick.

vCash
    I bet this kid is going to be awesome, we are a bit fragile right now. MSU is good at scouting and utilizing local guys like this.

I am worried when the kid is from Toronto Canada or Guyman Oklahoma or someplace like that.

I'm super pumped about what StarkVegasSteve said
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 05-05-2022 at 08:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Looks like a project for his Freshman year.
    He's better than Elliot at ole miss at the same time in their career and it's not close. And I liked Elliot a lot as a hs sr.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    He's better than Elliot at ole miss at the same time in their career and it's not close. And I liked Elliot a lot as a hs sr.
    You are a baseball guy I trust- you know that.

My fear is this kid doesnt adjust well as a Freshman and spends 2023 working on getting his breaking ball over the plate because he just started throwing it. He becomes the talented freshman that is spotty with control.

True Freshman can be good.
    True Freshman can be solid
    True Freshman usually struggle in the SEC on the mound

Thats SEC life

vCash
    You are a baseball guy I trust- you know that.

My fear is this kid doesnt adjust well as a Freshman and spends 2023 working on getting his breaking ball over the plate because he just started throwing it. He becomes the talented freshman that is spotty with control.

True Freshman can be good.
    True Freshman can be solid
    True Freshman usually struggle in the SEC on the mound

Thats SEC life
    All that is true. And they become sophomores. Thank goodness last year was a pretty special pitching class in Ms. tygart, maddux, Elliott, and Montgomery. We didn't get any. Which sucks.
    Last edited by Homedawg; 05-05-2022 at 10:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I'll tell you another guy that could come in and contribute right away is Will Gibbs. And then there is the Coast guy no one is talking about- Max Miller.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'll tell you another guy that could come in and contribute right away is Will Gibbs. And then there is the Coast guy no one is talking about- Max Miller.
    I like Gibbs. He's got a chance. Haven't seen Miller

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Yeah Gibbs has a chance to be a good one. I've seen Miller and I think he has some strong upside, great movement and good command.

vCash

breaking ball ... he just started throwing it.
    You are starting to see this more and more often. I think it's smart. When I played, back in the day, you started seeing breaking balls in 11/12, and a lot of kids were throwing a ton of them by 13/14. You also saw a lot of super talented guys with dead arms by the time they reached high school. Coaches would throw these guys twice a week (or twice a weekend in all stars) and they would throw around 100 pitches every time they pitched. Anyway, I think there are a lot of people with a lot better approaches out there now. I don't mind seeing guys wait until later to start throwing new pitches. Landon Sims, Jonathan Holder, and a hundred other pitchers we could all name have been able to dominate by using a FB the vast majority of the time. Yes, the breaking ball is usually the wipe out pitch, but I just don't think it's that hard for a super athletic person to get to a point where it's a weapon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    You are starting to see this more and more often. I think it's smart. When I played, back in the day, you started seeing breaking balls in 11/12, and a lot of kids were throwing a ton of them by 13/14. You also saw a lot of super talented guys with dead arms by the time they reached high school. Coaches would throw these guys twice a week (or twice a weekend in all stars) and they would throw around 100 pitches every time they pitched. Anyway, I think there are a lot of people with a lot better approaches out there now. I don't mind seeing guys wait until later to start throwing new pitches. Landon Sims, Jonathan Holder, and a hundred other pitchers we could all name have been able to dominate by using a FB the vast majority of the time. Yes, the breaking ball is usually the wipe out pitch, but I just don't think it's that hard for a super athletic person to get to a point where it's a weapon.
    It's still prevalent in younger groups as my son's good friend pitches in travel ball and they have him throwing a CB at 12 years old (which I dont agree with by the way). I''m all about waiting until about 15 or so but I think Sr year is a little late. Learning the nuances of locating inside and out consistently, when to bounce it, changing speeds with it....all that takes more than a year or so.

The problem we are seeing other than overpitching younger arms is teaching them a correctly thrown CB. A correctly thrown 12/6 CB doesnt put any undue pressure on the elbow. Young pitchers need to be taught correctly and coaches need to constantly monitor their arm positioning.

The Slider however puts alot more torque on the elbow and is rougher on the body. At NO time should a young arm be throwing this pitch
    Last edited by Coach34; 05-06-2022 at 11:20 AM.

vCash
    It's still prevalent in younger groups as my son's good friend pitches in travel ball and they have him throwing a CB at 12 years old (which I dont agree with by the way). I''m all about waiting until about 15 or so but I think Sr year is a little late. Learning the nuances of locating inside and out consistently, when to bounce it, changing speeds with it....all that takes more than a year or so.

The problem we are seeing other than overpitching younger arms is teaching them a correctly thrown CB. A correctly thrown 12/6 CB doesnt put any undue pressure on the elbow. Young pitchers need to be taught correctly and coaches need to constantly monitor their arm positioning.

The Slider however puts alot more torque on the elbow and is rougher on the body. At time should a young arm be throwing this pitch
    Amen to this. I see horrible mechanics and arm positioning constantly, it's an epidemic! It's like coaches aren't teaching or paying attention. The majority of kids coming up are getting very little instruction and by the time they get to college there's a lot of bad that has to be undone. I watched a hs kid throw last weekend in the playoffs. Pretty good arm but horrible mechanics. He hooks his wrist on every pitch, doesn't matter if it's fastball or curvball and his elbow is in one of the worst positions I've ever seen. Made me hurt just watching this kid throw. His elbow is gonna be shredded by the time he's a senior.

vCash

The Slider however puts alot more torque on the elbow and is rougher on the body. At NO time should a young arm be throwing this pitch
    I won't disagree with any of that.

vCash
    What is the report on Holcombe? I have seen some video of him and know a couple guys on the team with him at NEMCC. Any idea of what role he will be capable of playing next year on the pitch staff?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    What is the report on Holcombe? I have seen some video of him and know a couple guys on the team with him at NEMCC. Any idea of what role he will be capable of playing next year on the pitch staff?
    I've seen him pitch a couple of times against us this year. Huge kid 6'7" about 235. Fastball mid 90s. Saw him hit upper 90s a few times. Wipeout slider. Doesn't walk a ton either. He's started all year so I imagine
    we want him in the rotation and he's got the stuff to do it. I love his demeanor on the mound too.

vCash
    I've seen him pitch a couple of times against us this year. Huge kid 6'7" about 235. Fastball mid 90s. Saw him hit upper 90s a few times. Wipeout slider. Doesn't walk a ton either. He's started all year so I imagine
    we want him in the rotation and he's got the stuff to do it. I love his demeanor on the mound too.
    My concern based on the video I watched was he couldn't throw his breaking ball for strikes.