Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SEC football opening day lines...

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Thats going to be one to watch. Their QB came back and they have recruited the trenches well. We havent won there since 2014.
    Yep. We have to turn that back into more of an auto win than a 50/50 game if we are going to get back to end of Mullen tenure type success. I'm not scared of their quarterback but we have completely shit the bed the last few trips over there. We need that to be an 11 am game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Yep. We have to turn that back into more of an auto win than a 50/50 game if we are going to get back to end of Mullen tenure type success. I'm not scared of their quarterback but we have completely shit the bed the last few trips over there. We need that to be an 11 am game.
    Honestly, we are not in complete control of that. Kentucky gave Stoops time to build a program, he has done a good job recruiting Ohio and creating a culture that works there.

If I was drafting teams from the East for MSU to play over the next five years, id have Kentucky as one of the last to play, with only Georgia and Florida behind them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Honestly, we are not in complete control of that. Kentucky gave Stoops time to build a program, he has done a good job recruiting Ohio and creating a culture that works there.

If I was drafting teams from the East for MSU to play over the next five years, id have Kentucky as one of the last to play, with only Georgia and Florida behind them.
    This.

Stoops changed the complete nature of that program when he went big into Ohio. Add that the university gave him time to build a program. UK ain't the auto-win it used to be. Sucks, but good for Stoops.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    This.

Stoops changed the complete nature of that program when he went big into Ohio. Add that the university gave him time to build a program. UK ain't the auto-win it used to be. Sucks, but good for Stoops.
    Honestly, they were a poor man's version of what Mullen was doing at MSU.

If Mullen had decided to stay and stop shopping he would have most likely had a job for a very long time, the same way Stoops does. For all his faults, Mullen did have an identity here and could have done what Stoops was doing, just a little better. Our ceiling is significantly higher than Kentucky, but our road to Atlanta was and is harder.

Stoops could only do what he has done at Kentucky, a basketball school that doesn't ask him to do to much, and doesn't care if he has a bad season. I hope he is smart and stays there, but my guess he will do something dumb and take the AU job once they fire Harsin in about six months.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash

I don't disagree that Stoops has raised their floor and I would rather play someone other than Kentucky in the East every year, but we should still beat them more than every other year. The last 3 losses to them up there have all been extremely frustrating because it was mostly self inflicted. Going position by position, I would take more State guys than Kentucky guys if I were picking an all star team out of the 2 this year (and most every year). We need to beat them this year. I would predict them to be a small favorite based on them playing us at home, but that's a game Leach has to put in the W column most every year if he wants to stay in Starkville long term.
    Last edited by Jarius; 05-04-2022 at 03:05 PM.

vCash
    Honestly, they were a poor man's version of what Mullen was doing at MSU.

If Mullen had decided to stay and stop shopping he would have most likely had a job for a very long time, the same way Stoops does. For all his faults, Mullen did have an identity here and could have done what Stoops was doing, just a little better. Our ceiling is significantly higher than Kentucky, but our road to Atlanta was and is harder.

Stoops could only do what he has done at Kentucky, a basketball school that doesn't ask him to do to much, and doesn't care if he has a bad season. I hope he is smart and stays there, but my guess he will do something dumb and take the AU job once they fire Harsin in about six months.
    I really truly believe if Mullen had given the same strain to the football program he insisted the fans and the players gave we would have had two Natties. One with Cam at QB (yes, we would have paid Daddy) and the other with Dak. Then Dan probably would have moved on to the NFL in 2016 as a head coach while we were making bronze statues of him, Dak and Cam.

vCash
    I really truly believe if Mullen had given the same strain to the football program he insisted the fans and the players gave we would have had two Natties. One with Cam at QB (yes, we would have paid Daddy) and the other with Dak. Then Dan probably would have moved on to the NFL in 2016 as a head coach while we were making bronze statues of him, Dak and Cam.
    It's hard to argue with this. Dan gave a half assed effort.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    It's hard to argue with this. Dan gave a half assed effort.
    I don't think he was half assed any until we lost to bama in 2014. I think he thought/knew he had peaked with us at that point and it would only be downhill from there. After that I think his effort was more inconsistent.

vCash
    One thing about Kentucky and MSU is I expect our defense to be pretty good against the run this year because we basically return our entire DL/LB minus Brule. I'm assuming that Kentucky is going to be run heavy again this year.

vCash
    Thats going to be one to watch. Their QB came back and they have recruited the trenches well. We havent won there since 2014.
    and I think we barely won that one .... If I remember correctly Kendrick Market made a game saving shoestring tackle late in the game to prevent the winning touchdown ... this game will indeed be interesting
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    I don't think he was half assed any until we lost to bama in 2014. I think he thought/knew he had peaked with us at that point and it would only be downhill from there. After that I think his effort was more inconsistent.
    Dan was always looking for the next job but his arrogant attitude turned a lot of folks off. He would have left us in 2010 for Miami in a heartbeat. Fortunately for us Miami's AD thought he was a pompous dick.

vCash
    It's hilarious how Miami turned him down once, then the next time he thought he had it locked down and Richt snaked him at the last minute. Then he gets an even better job and refuses to recruit enough to keep it.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Mullen needs to go to the NFL and be an assistant so he doesn?t have to worry about recruiting. No school is going to just simply recruit itself without putting in effort. As a college coach, you still need to be able to recruit players and relate to their families. He was really good at evaluating under developed talent, I just think his attitude got in the way of him being a great coach because he was too stubborn and too busy looking for his next job

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Mullen needs to go to the NFL and be an assistant so he doesn?t have to worry about recruiting. No school is going to just simply recruit itself without putting in effort. As a college coach, you still need to be able to recruit players and relate to their families. He was really good at evaluating under developed talent, I just think his attitude got in the way of him being a great coach because he was too stubborn and too busy looking for his next job
    He hates the selling part of coaching- kissing ass during recruiting. Thats why they worked so hard breaking down film and grabbing potential projects. Didnt have to work hard to sign them. As Mullen said himself- he outrecruited Middle Tennessee State for Fitz and he loved that.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    It's hilarious how Miami turned him down once, then the next time he thought he had it locked down and Richt snaked him at the last minute. Then he gets an even better job and refuses to recruit enough to keep it.
    And most of us with any sense said he wouldn't last 5 years at uf, and he didn't, lol.

vCash
    Mullen needs to go to the NFL and be an assistant
    do NFL assistants make $6 million a year ? I have no idea
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Dan Mullen is Dan Mullen's worst enemy.

vCash
    I think Mullen pops up as an analyst on CBS or Fox. He loves to hear himself talk. After a couple of years of that he's going to get back into coaching at some small university where he can push around the AD like he did Strick at State.

vCash
    Dan Mullen is Dan Mullen's worst enemy.
    Absolutely no question about this!