Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What will next years starting 9 look like opening day?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    It's not OK to call a dude Foreskin in any circles. I hope you grow up some day but I don't see it happening. You are not a complete idiot all the time and bring some good points at times but that kind of crap is just childish and stupid.
    I totally agree with this ... nicknames are a part of sports but this is just absolutely degrading ... and he's a Bulldog
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    We need to go to every Friday night G5 pitcher that doesn't get drafted or graduate, and get them to transfer here. We need arms.

I'm confident we'll get some good hitters out of the portal, but like football, you just never know. We struck gold with Yeager. They might not all be like that.

It's a weird situation to be in for sure. Makes you scratch your head at our recruiting because if we're the national power we claim to be, we shouldn't have this many holes to fill. Gotta do a better job at evaluating players and we have to cool off on the Jucos. Don't mean to call the kids out like this, but Brayland Skinner, Tanner Leggett, Von Seibert, Cam Tullar, Matt Corder are not SEC caliber players. The occasional Juco player (like Preston Johnson) is fine, but you can't rely on them like we have. Get kids to school and fill in the rest with the portal. That needs to be our MO.
    I don't have the link anymore, but one of the players on your list claimed that MSU never saw him play very much. He heard from Gautreau after a game, MSU was recruiting Stinnett, then saw him play a bit. "You will replace Rowdey Jordan" is the gist.

Talking pitchers and straight nonsense here - as usual - but why not pay some former SEC/PAC12 Umpires to watch the games, have cats in all regions to watch and scout games for us. Make sure the strike zones have verisimilitude to the SEC and that pitches are hitting locations. It really stinks to collect kids that throw 95 but flat and without control. This would have detected two or three wasted roster spots in 2022. Our pitching recruiting needs a heuristic. Only two spots for Canadian Syndrome players and they must be HS players with a potential multi-year payoff. Transfers must be polished in the JP France or Zach Neff mold.

By the way, we will have company in the Portal Heist. LSU and OM need players. UGA needs a full pitching staff (+7 ERA), without Cannon they are dog meat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    How tf are we the defending champs, with a coach we hired as a "recruiter", and can't fill out at least a serviceable lineup card for next year? This feels like an issue. Yes we need to hit the portal, but we ought to let guys like Alford, Meche, Downs, etc play A LOT the rest of the way. Those guys should be starting bc the season is over.
    Yeah, if we don't reload with some major talent, we have an issue. We should be able to reload and just rock and roll. Yeager, Hines were good gets last year and maybe a couple of others pan out.

As much as we've struggled this year in various areas, we need to top 3 class this next year that pans out.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    We don't have time for raw guys who need to be developed. We need IMPACT players NOW. The time to do that was 2019-2021 and it became increasingly difficult when coaches couldn't evaluate for over a year. I said it last year and it was biggest fear this year, Rowdey Jordan and Tanner Allen covered up multiple issues. Not only were they the table setters at the top of the lineup, but they also took up two outfield spots that we have gotten no consistent production out of since they left. On top of both of those things, they were the links to Cannizarro and the swagger he had as well as the toughness of the 2018 team. Swagger and Toughness combined is what we are missing. We have plenty of one and none of the other. I'll let everyone figure out which one that is.
    I?m not saying go all in on these types of players. But there is room for a few of these a year to created a different locker room mindset. There are plenty of overlooked true players in Mississippi who did not get the coaching in high school or have an opportunity to ply travel ball. Thus the recruiting services over look them. Think the Jonathan Banks types of Mississippi baseball. It?s hard to find these guys but USM seems to do it and develop them.

And whoever said they will get smoked in a regional is not paying attention. They can hit and should have knocked the KlanSharts out last year. They seem to always hit and are scrappy. Something we had up until this year. We lost the scrap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    I don't have the link anymore, but one of the players on your list claimed that MSU never saw him play very much. He heard from Gautreau after a game, MSU was recruiting Stinnett, then saw him play a bit. "You will replace Rowdey Jordan" is the gist.

Talking pitchers and straight nonsense here - as usual - but why not pay some former SEC/PAC12 Umpires to watch the games, have cats in all regions to watch and scout games for us. Make sure the strike zones have verisimilitude to the SEC and that pitches are hitting locations. It really stinks to collect kids that throw 95 but flat and without control. This would have detected two or three wasted roster spots in 2022. Our pitching recruiting needs a heuristic. Only two spots for Canadian Syndrome players and they must be HS players with a potential multi-year payoff. Transfers must be polished in the JP France or Zach Neff mold.

By the way, we will have company in the Portal Heist. LSU and OM need players. UGA needs a full pitching staff (+7 ERA), without Cannon they are dog meat.
    We probably just need to recruit the Cape. There are a few mid major players playing there that we can accurately evaluate along with our current players. Including a couple from USM and La Tech. If there are coaching changes we may even be able to get some players with SEC experience. Especially with Florida and South Carolina being possibly in the mix for a new coach. Ole Miss too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    I?m not saying go all in on these types of players. But there is room for a few of these a year to created a different locker room mindset. There are plenty of overlooked true players in Mississippi who did not get the coaching in high school or have an opportunity to ply travel ball. Thus the recruiting services over look them. Think the Jonathan Banks types of Mississippi baseball. It?s hard to find these guys but USM seems to do it and develop them.

And whoever said they will get smoked in a regional is not paying attention. They can hit and should have knocked the KlanSharts out last year. They seem to always hit and are scrappy. Something we had up until this year. We lost the scrap.
    Our strategy is to usually see who pans out in JUCO. Like Preston Johnson, Peyton Plumlee, Spencer Price, and Tanner Leggett.

Part of the issue with the USM guys is because of the recruiting cycle a lot of them commit early like our guys do. But then there is that gentleman's agreement about flipping recruits. And yes, I realize we did that with Ross Highfill this year.

That said I would say that we probably have more Mississippians in our lineup than they do. They have guys from all over. Including two from Guatemala. Their top two guys in their rotation are out of state guys. The other they got from Delta State. I think they're really only starting three Mississippians regularly in the lineup but they are three of their best players too. But we start way more Mississippians than they do. I wonder how much of that was because of the coaching changes we were going through as far as our misses?