Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here is why we aren?t landing any bball transfers yet

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    That is true, but once coaches started getting multi-million buyouts and the universities started making millions of dollars selling Tebow jerseys to every Floridian that could afford to buy one, all the student athlete didn't get a cut, at some point they did this to themselves.

If they had been smart, they would have turned the faucet on years ago and started sharing revenue with the college athlete. That would have avoided all of this. Instead they handed out multi-million dollar contracts to every coach they could find, and then fire them within 3 years.

When Matt Luke and JoMo can have generational wealth after coaching for basically two seasons, that is not the fault of the athlete.
    Great post!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    I agree with that...but its always been like this to some degree.... always....it can't be an excuse because every team is dealing with it... not just us. But other teams are making moves. We have to do the same.
    I'm looking at the top transfer portal rankings and teams like Providence, Arkansas, Georgia, Arizona State, Texas Tech etc lead the rankings.... there's no way you can't tell me we can't bring in 6 good/solid players just because of NIL.
    I'm saying those schools are outspending us. The cost of putting teams together has gone up and that new price is making it harder on us.

It's little things like LSU making us spend alot of money just to keep a player we already had in Tolu. Things like this havent happened before and it's getting expensive.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I'm saying those schools are outspending us. The cost of putting teams together has gone up and that new price is making it harder on us.

It's little things like LSU making us spend alot of money just to keep a player we already had in Tolu. Things like this havent happened before and it's getting expensive.
    This. The player has the hammer because there's no contracts, no rules, no nothing to control this.

vCash
    College sports is ovvvvaa

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    College sports is ovvvvaa
    Welcome to the minor leagues!

vCash

I think alot of you guys are putting way too much stock in this NIL stough. Not much is going to change and we can't have this 'poor little Mississippi State' attitude towards it. If this is the way its going to be, right or wrong, we have to adjust like all other 300 plus D1 schools will. I keep hearing ppl say the blue blood schools are going to win everything now, well heck they won everything before NIL.. here are your last 10 National Champions in Football and Basketball:

Football: Georgia, Bama, LSU, Clemson, Bama, Clemson, Bama, Ohio State, Florida State, Bama

Basketball: Kansas, Baylor, Virginia, Villanova, North Carolina, Villanova, Duke, UCONN, Louisville, Kentucky

All powerhouse blue blood schools accept for maybe Baylor in basketball..... so what is going to change now that NIL is here? Absolutely nothing, these same schools will still be blue bloods and still dominate college sports. It happened before NIL and will continue to happen. If anything the NIL can hopefully level the playing field some. I don't like that there's no rules to it and obviously that needs to change, but money has always been around college sports, the common fan just knows about it now.
    Last edited by NCMSTFAN; 04-29-2022 at 12:33 PM.

vCash
    I think alot of you guys are putting way too much stock in this NIL stough. Not much is going to change and we can't have this 'poor little Mississippi State' attitude towards it. If this is the way its going to be, right or wrong, we have to adjust like all other 300 plus D1 schools will. I keep hearing ppl say the blue blood schools are going to win everything now, well heck they won everything before NIL.. here are your last 10 National Champions in Football and Basketball:

Football: Georgia, Bama, LSU, Clemson, Bama, Clemson, Bama, Ohio State, Florida State, Bama

Basketball: Kansas, Baylor, Virginia, Villanova, North Carolina, Villanova, Duke, UCONN, Louisville, Kentucky

All powerhouse blue blood schools accept for maybe Baylor in basketball..... so what is going to change now that NIL is here? Absolutely nothing, these same schools will still be blue bloods and still dominate college sports. It happened before NIL and will continue to happen. If anything the NIL can hopefully level the playing field some. I don't like that there's no rules to it and obviously that needs to change, but money has always been around college sports, the common fan just knows about it now.
    Nobody is saying that spreading money around hasnt been happening before. What's happening now is that it is legal and out in the open which has allowed schools to bring more people and businesses into the fray. The cost is jumping way up and we arent able to keep up.

It's like gas prices. Higher gas prices arent hurting the Elites (blue bloods)- but it's rough on us poor people. SEC money has allowed us to upgrade facilities and things the last 30 years- but cash-wise we struggle. NIL is going to force us down the ladder farther than we have been. Tulane, La Tech, Houston, and other schools can put together funds to get basketball players just as easy as we can now.

NIL is going to choke us out down the road. It's just getting started and already having an impact.

vCash
    NIL would have been manageable.
    But adding immediate eligibility for transfers makes it a huge issue. That was 100% in the ncaa control (unlike NIL where courts stepped in) and they botched it. Stupid.

Remove immediate eligibility for transfers.

vCash

I unfortunately agee with you Coach

NIL is a stake in the heart of MSU sports. Football and basketball for sure. Baseball i am not sure of...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by West Houston Dog View Post
    NIL is a stake in the heart of MSU sports. Football and basketball for sure. Baseball i am not sure of...
    Doubtful it effects baseball. Just not enough interest in the rest of the country to invest huge sums in it. That and we'll more than likely make sure resources are funnelled to the baseball program to keep it intact.

vCash
    Nobody is saying that spreading money around hasnt been happening before. What's happening now is that it is legal and out in the open which has allowed schools to bring more people and businesses into the fray. The cost is jumping way up and we arent able to keep up.

It's like gas prices. Higher gas prices arent hurting the Elites (blue bloods)- but it's rough on us poor people. SEC money has allowed us to upgrade facilities and things the last 30 years- but cash-wise we struggle. NIL is going to force us down the ladder farther than we have been. Tulane, La Tech, Houston, and other schools can put together funds to get basketball players just as easy as we can now.

NIL is going to choke us out down the road. It's just getting started and already having an impact.
    I think it is going to force us to get creative - which we aren't typically good at. But, this could be where us being frugal and not expanding our overall budget exponentially could help.
    Looking at our 2021 Athletic Dept. Income & Expenses available here: https://knightnewhousedata.org/fbs/s...itution_data-1, We had just shy of $113m in revenue against only $96m in expenses, and just shy of $9m in debt service. That is leaving about $8m on the table. We generate $7.4m in "Corporate Sponsorship, Advertising & Licensing." We should direct anyone in that "Corporate Sponsorship & Advertising" realm into an NIL fund that then generates their "ads" in stadiums, radio, gameday programs, etc, etc, via a $1 placement fee from the university. That way contractually they university is selling ad space, but it is locked in to 1 vendor to produce NIL deals in exchange for the great advertising placement rates. The University replaces that $7.4m with the $8m that is being banked, and works like hell to figure out how to funnel more to NIL when the new SEC contract add $20m a year to the bottom line.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash

Oh I'm following what you are saying, but as I said I don't think it will have the impact that alot of you do. And I also think some rules will get implemented. Yes it will have some impact, but we are still an SEC school.... we aren't Tulane, Houston, La Tech. Just have to find a way to make it happen, nobody is going to feel sorry for us.

vCash
    Oh I'm following what you are saying, but as I said I don't think it will have the impact that alot of you do. And I also think some rules will get implemented. Yes it will have some impact, but we are still an SEC school.... we aren't Tulane, Houston, La Tech. Just have to find a way to make it happen, nobody is going to feel sorry for us.
    1. Well go back to my 1st post. The article gives a clear example of NIL affecting a school that just made the Elite 8. Player says he will leave if NIL isnt bigger for him.
    2. LSU forcing us to committ 6-figure money to Tolu just so he will stay in maroon.
    3. Houston has made the FF and Elite 8 last 2 seasons. They have more money for NIL than we do.
    4. Until rules get implemented- we are at a disadvantage. I dont see it happening anytime soon. Emmert is leaving in 2023- so nothing will be done at least until a new President comes in.

vCash
    Ticket prices have gotten pretty steep, just imagine a few more years what the market will be. Inflation is about to get out of control.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Ticket prices have gotten pretty steep, just imagine a few more years what the market will be. Inflation is about to get out of control.
    Yep,and the bubble will burst at some point, it always does.

vCash
    1. Well go back to my 1st post. The article gives a clear example of NIL affecting a school that just made the Elite 8. Player says he will leave if NIL isnt bigger for him.
    2. LSU forcing us to committ 6-figure money to Tolu just so he will stay in maroon.
    3. Houston has made the FF and Elite 8 last 2 seasons. They have more money for NIL than we do.
    4. Until rules get implemented- we are at a disadvantage. I dont see it happening anytime soon. Emmert is leaving in 2023- so nothing will be done at least until a new President comes in.
    I'm not disagreeing with you completely and I'm sure there will be some losses because of this, tampering of players etc... my only point is its been going on, not at this level and this manner but it's been happening. We just have to find a way to adjust to it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    That is

When Matt Luke and JoMo can have generational wealth after coaching for basically two seasons, that is not the fault of the athlete.
    I think they should pay regular students a salary because the professor gets a salary. So does Keenum....***
    The tug driver at FedEx should make $500,000 a year because Fred Smith is a millionaire.***

This goes back to my point yesterday. Nobody wants to earn anything. Just give me, give me, give me.

Matt and Joe went to college, passed classes, went to practice, played games and proved themselves. Then left college and got more education. Took entry level jobs. Worked themselves up the ladder and earned every penny they got. People talk about the market. Well those two guys earned what they market paid them.

Also, the value is in the schools, the logos and the SEC brand. That's what TV pays for the rights to televise. These kids coming up haven't contributed any thing to the schools brand or conference brand, yet.

vCash
    I don't think anyone is surprised this is happening but the speed of which this thing is spiraling outta control unreal. What' next? When does the NCAA dissolve?
    Last edited by Saltydog; 04-29-2022 at 07:12 PM.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    The cesspool that is college basketball is just getting deeper.

The point of NIL was to be able to make money off of your own rep and ability. Kids should be able to get $20 for an autograph, or branded t-shirts or endorse products. But none of that should be a guarantee and none of it should be tied to a school or the ability of the school to organize a bunch of boosters just to give cash to kids.
    Intent doesn't matter when you open pandora's box. There is no governing body; its anything goes now. College sports is about to be over. And if you don't think this won't leak into high school then just wait and see.

We are setting our society up for catastrophic failure.

vCash
    https://twitter.com/adambreneman81/s...914129920?s=21

Just another example here. College sports won’t be worth watching in the very near future