Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: Here is why we aren?t landing any bball transfers yet

  1. #1
    Senior Member Coach34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    26,067
    vCash
    2610

    Here is why we aren?t landing any bball transfers yet

    https://twitter.com/draftexpress/sta...881723392?s=21

    ?Miami Hurricanes guard Isaiah Wong will enter the transfer portal on Friday if his name, image and likeness (NIL) compensation isn't increased, his NIL agent, Adam Papas of NEXT Sports Agency, told ESPN on Thursday.?
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

  2. #2
    Senior Member Cooterpoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    10,009
    vCash
    52714
    Screw these guys! What a 17ing mess that's been created. 17 college athletics if it's getting to this. I won't waste my time on it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member BrunswickDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Home of Slay, GA
    Posts
    11,001
    vCash
    1267545
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    https://twitter.com/draftexpress/sta...881723392?s=21

    ?Miami Hurricanes guard Isaiah Wong will enter the transfer portal on Friday if his name, image and likeness (NIL) compensation isn't increased, his NIL agent, Adam Papas of NEXT Sports Agency, told ESPN on Thursday.?
    The cesspool that is college basketball is just getting deeper.

    The point of NIL was to be able to make money off of your own rep and ability. Kids should be able to get $20 for an autograph, or branded t-shirts or endorse products. But none of that should be a guarantee and none of it should be tied to a school or the ability of the school to organize a bunch of boosters just to give cash to kids.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

  4. #4
    Senior Member Commercecomet24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    19,444
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Screw these guys! What a 17ing mess that's been created. 17 college athletics if it's getting to this. I won't waste my time on it.
    Yeah it's getting real hard to be interested in it anymore. What a mess they've created. There's no control in place for any of this. Kid just goes to the highest bidder and if he's not happy after that he just bids his services out again. Insanity.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    132
    vCash
    3200
    Free market for me not for thee I guess.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Cooterpoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    10,009
    vCash
    52714
    The NIL should be the place where a salary cap is put in place to level things out some. These guys don't need huge money. They deserve some, but not crazy ass money. The refusal and inability of the NCAA to handle this will destroy it completely.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3,892
    vCash
    55927
    Quote Originally Posted by YazooDawg23 View Post
    Free market for me not for thee I guess.
    The thing about a free market is that it will correct itself. And it will and when it does it will be a rude awakening for some of these kids

  8. #8
    Senior Member Cooterpoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    10,009
    vCash
    52714
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    The thing about a free market is that it will correct itself. And it will and when it does it will be a rude awakening for some of these kids
    Exactly! College athletics got too big. We're seeing it correct itself with fewer asses in the seats and less give a damn. I've been involved in the recruiting side and I hate this. The kids deserve to be paid, but it can't be out of control.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Commercecomet24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    19,444
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Exactly! College athletics got too big. We're seeing it correct itself with fewer asses in the seats and less give a damn. I've been involved in the recruiting side and I hate this. The kids deserve to be paid, but it can't be out of control.
    This. I'm all for the free market, but there has to be some sort of oversight, guidelines, something to keep it under control. It's just the wild west right now. There's a bubble being created and as past history shows, financial bubbles at some point burst.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10,714
    vCash
    3700
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    The thing about a free market is that it will correct itself. And it will and when it does it will be a rude awakening for some of these kids
    I repeat what I've stated before, most people have no clue how much money these guys get PRE NIL. Free room and board. Pell grant. Stipend. Academic money. Now this. Most will never ever live this well in their lives.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Commercecomet24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    19,444
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I repeat what I've stated before, most people have no clue how much money these guys get PRE NIL. Free room and board. Pell grant. Stipend. Academic money. Now this. Most will never ever live this well in their lives.
    Amen!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE MS
    Posts
    805
    vCash
    398615
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    The NIL should be the place where a salary cap is put in place to level things out some. These guys don't need huge money. They deserve some, but not crazy ass money. The refusal and inability of the NCAA to handle this will destroy it completely.
    Is it just ball players you don't want making more than you or is it everyone? Let's limit Elon Musk's earning power, doesn't he have enough already?

    They will get what the market will pay them. Either you believe in a free market or you don't. I prefer free market unless it actually hurts someone, causes a monopoly or in for public works. These socialist programs that fund fireman, police officers, public schools, public roads, bridges or healthcare like Medicare and Medicaid are all all fine but socialism for entertainment like sports? Not so much.

    Now, what we do need is some sort of control over the movement between teams. I feel as if the monies will work itself out the same way it's always been. The big money teams will continue to buy players, just legally now.

    I do expect some sort of contract language that limits all this crap of guys moving because they had a good year or possibly the NCAA finding some way to set some guidelines. It's like the NCAA just said **** it, I don't care let them do whatever they want, once they lost the supreme court case.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    14,221
    vCash
    2510
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I repeat what I've stated before, most people have no clue how much money these guys get PRE NIL. Free room and board. Pell grant. Stipend. Academic money. Now this. Most will never ever live this well in their lives.
    Guys in the media like Jay Bilas wouldn't shut up about it. The Presidents and the NCAA buried their heads in the sand and hoped to win in the courts. Now Pandora's box is open and we have chaos.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    14,221
    vCash
    2510
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    Is it just ball players you don't want making more than you or is it everyone? Let's limit Elon Musk's earning power, doesn't he have enough already?

    They will get what the market will pay them. Either you believe in a free market or you don't. I prefer free market unless it actually hurts someone, causes a monopoly or in for public works. These socialist programs that fund fireman, police officers, public schools, public roads, bridges or healthcare like Medicare and Medicaid are all all fine but socialism for entertainment like sports? Not so much.

    Now, what we do need is some sort of control over the movement between teams. I feel as if the monies will work itself out the same way it's always been. The big money teams will continue to buy players, just legally now.

    I do expect some sort of contract language that limits all this crap of guys moving because they had a good year or possibly the NCAA finding some way to set some guidelines. It's like the NCAA just said **** it, I don't care let them do whatever they want, once they lost the supreme court case.
    Pro sports leagues aren't free markets. There are salary caps, luxury taxes, drafts and most importantly contracts. There has to be some sort of competitive balance.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Cooterpoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    10,009
    vCash
    52714
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    Is it just ball players you don't want making more than you or is it everyone? Let's limit Elon Musk's earning power, doesn't he have enough already?

    They will get what the market will pay them. Either you believe in a free market or you don't. I prefer free market unless it actually hurts someone, causes a monopoly or in for public works. These socialist programs that fund fireman, police officers, public schools, public roads, bridges or healthcare like Medicare and Medicaid are all all fine but socialism for entertainment like sports? Not so much.

    Now, what we do need is some sort of control over the movement between teams. I feel as if the monies will work itself out the same way it's always been. The big money teams will continue to buy players, just legally now.

    I do expect some sort of contract language that limits all this crap of guys moving because they had a good year or possibly the NCAA finding some way to set some guidelines. It's like the NCAA just said **** it, I don't care let them do whatever they want, once they lost the supreme court case.
    I don't give a damn. I've got kids playing college ball myself. I don't believe they deserve crazy money either. Pay them like they're got a part time job, plus a nice stipend for beating their bodies up. Then, if the school or whoever is selling shit with their names on it etc, let them make some off that. This paying a kid crazy money to sign etc. is stupid as hell.
    Their education and housing etc. alone is approaching $100K. Some places it's well beyond that. Let's not pretend they're not well compensated to begin with.

  16. #16
    TheDynastyIsDead TUSK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In your head.
    Posts
    12,735
    vCash
    1176062
    MDL: "Is this what you want college football to be?"

    Masses: "yes!"

    MDL: "Eh KaY."

    (actually that was re: the HUNH but is applicable here, as well)
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

    No.


    Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    848
    vCash
    3000
    Im all for players getting paid off their image and likeness but the NIL needs better rules and some sort of cap.

    But I don't buy that this is why we can't get recruits because paying college athletes has been going on forever. I know this because I have family members who played D1 sports and could tell you plenty of stories of pay for play.. some schools used to get caught, but most didn't.

    The only difference now is that it is public knowledge and not being done under the table, so now we as fans have insight on it and pass judgment. But money has always been around so it can't be an excuse to not be able to bring in players at MSU.. we aren't that bottom of the barrel as some try to say we are.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Coach34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    26,067
    vCash
    2610
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    Im all for players getting paid off their image and likeness but the NIL needs better rules and some sort of cap.

    But I don't buy that this is why we can't get recruits because paying college athletes has been going on forever. I know this because I have family members who played D1 sports and could tell you plenty of stories of pay for play.. some schools used to get caught, but most didn't.

    The only difference now is that it is public knowledge and not being done under the table, so now we as fans have insight on it and pass judgment. But money has always been around so it can't be an excuse to not be able to bring in players at MSU.. we aren't that bottom of the barrel as some try to say we are.
    There is more competition in the marketplace now than its ever been.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,804
    vCash
    3200
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I repeat what I've stated before, most people have no clue how much money these guys get PRE NIL. Free room and board. Pell grant. Stipend. Academic money. Now this. Most will never ever live this well in their lives.
    That is true, but once coaches started getting multi-million buyouts and the universities started making millions of dollars selling Tebow jerseys to every Floridian that could afford to buy one, all the student athlete didn't get a cut, at some point they did this to themselves.

    If they had been smart, they would have turned the faucet on years ago and started sharing revenue with the college athlete. That would have avoided all of this. Instead they handed out multi-million dollar contracts to every coach they could find, and then fire them within 3 years.

    When Matt Luke and JoMo can have generational wealth after coaching for basically two seasons, that is not the fault of the athlete.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    848
    vCash
    3000
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    There is more competition in the marketplace now than its ever been.
    I agree with that...but its always been like this to some degree.... always....it can't be an excuse because every team is dealing with it... not just us. But other teams are making moves. We have to do the same.
    I'm looking at the top transfer portal rankings and teams like Providence, Arkansas, Georgia, Arizona State, Texas Tech etc lead the rankings.... there's no way you can't tell me we can't bring in 6 good/solid players just because of NIL.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.