Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitching Lane Forsythe

vCash

Pitching Lane Forsythe

Was one of the dumbest decisions I have ever seen at MSU.

But....but.... we have injuries. Yeah well we could have pitched Tullar, Talley, Pico, Fristoe, and KC. Could have also pitched Walker and Cheatham.

So no we didn't "have to" pitch him. In fact I've never seen a position player that wasn't a true dual position guy come in that situation ever.

Our coaches overthought things and we got burned.
    Period. That look even dumber with how Tullar and Talley performed.

But....but....we want to save our arms for games that matter. We routinely and have always pitched some of our weekend relief guys midweek for every coach going back to Polk including Lemonis. Even this year. We pitched two guys that we used this past weekend tonight.

Our fans like to pat our coaches on the back for saving arms. And yet we have what? Three out for the year and one literally MIA with some unknown injury that Ian Tommy John but requires surgery per rumor? Maybe pithing once a week isn't the answer after all.

And no one is talking about what might have happened if Lane hurts his arm. Then our shortstop is down who has been hot and it would hurt us defensively too.

But....but.... we only scored 2 runs tonight. Yeah and our shortstop allowed three in a game we lost by three. And now because we overthought things we didn't get an opportunity to win the game in extra innings.

I like Lemonis. But he overthought this one. Sometimes the best move is the normal move.

vCash
    It was 17ing stupid. He obviously took the pitching advice of Genes Page.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 04-26-2022 at 11:24 PM.

vCash
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Especially when it comes to baseball. The problem with it in this particular case is that we will never know if those hitters in that inning would have scored at least one run no matter who the pitcher was.

vCash
    This is one of several bad decisions we can look back to if we don?t make a Regional. But on the other hand only scoring 2 runs against bad midweek pitching is inexcusable as well.

vCash
    I agree but we had 4 hits and two unearned runs, so it isn't just one thing that cost us last night. The problem with this team is inconsistency, maybe be one of the worse teams I have ever seen at Msu. This team doesn't seem have the mentality you need to be successful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I agree but we had 4 hits and two unearned runs, so it isn't just one thing that cost us last night. The problem with this team is inconsistency, maybe be one of the worse teams I have ever seen at Msu. This team doesn't seem have the mentality you need to be successful.
    Wait til next year. Next year sets up to be reallllllly bad. Our recruiting and some coaching need to improve. We've got to recruit better fast. I hate going transfer heavy, but we have no choice.

vCash
    The difference is who we put on the mound is a lot more in our control than where/how hard we hit the ball.

I would like to have seen what would have happened in extra innings and we didn't give ourselves the opportunity to do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State
    In fact I've never seen a position player that wasn't a true dual position guy come in that situation ever.
    Did you miss those games the "Mayor" threw some innings?
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    Did you miss those games the "Mayor" threw some innings?
    No. But the difference is Mangum came to MSU with the possibility of being a pitcher or an outfielder. He had worked with our staff early in his career before they settled on him being an outfielder. Forsythe did not.

And quite frankly he wasn't very good as a pitcher against them either.

When Mangum pitched our situation was worse than our current situation is now. Pitching Forsythe in general just doesn't make a lot of sense. It's an unnecessary move.

vCash
    We crushed some balls last night. But our hitting philosophy is now HR or bust. We've turned into what sucks about baseball. Low averages, lots of Ks, & HRs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We crushed some balls last night. But our hitting philosophy is now HR or bust. We've turned into what sucks about baseball. Low averages, lots of Ks, & HRs.
    Yeah. I don't like spreadsheet baseball.

vCash
    Our approach at the plate as has been all season in seeking HRs cost us alot last night. 6 warning track fly balls and minimal ability to drive the ball on the ground and in gaps. Our plate approach does not match a professional ballpark with 375 gaps. It showed well last night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The difference is who we put on the mound is a lot more in our control than where/how hard we hit the ball.

I would like to have seen what would have happened in extra innings and we didn't give ourselves the opportunity to do that.
    A few weeks ago many on ED where questioning why Forsythe has pitched, now many are saying what a dumb move. Yes it was a bad move only because it didn't work, better to have given him a try now than in Sec play.

vCash
    A few weeks ago many on ED where questioning why Forsythe has pitched, now many are saying what a dumb move. Yes it was a bad move only because it didn't work, better to have given him a try now than in Sec play.
    Do you mean questioning why he hasn't pitched?

It was a dumb move in OOC play too. It's even more dumb in SEC play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Wait til next year. Next year sets up to be reallllllly bad. Our recruiting and some coaching need to improve. We've got to recruit better fast. I hate going transfer heavy, but we have no choice.
    It's kinda like Forrest Gulp stated about a box of chocolate, "you never know what you are getting". Too early to predict or complain about next year, second guessing is easy right now. I predicted before the season we would have issues, but never did I imagine it would be injuries to our staff, lack of on base hitting.

Players are given the chance to produce, some do some don't, and yes we have some that may have been over rated. I'm as disappointed as you and every one else. Not questioning your opinion as it is a message board but in baseball things can get fixed in a year, or more so than football. See Hunter Hines for example.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Do you mean questioning why he hasn't pitched?

It was a dumb move in OOC play too. It's even more dumb in SEC play.
    Like I said better to have tried him in non-conference play. Yes, he failed miserably, yes, it looks really bad now, but "That's Baseball".

Btw, the other relivers did there job, I was pleasantly surprise to say the least for what I have seen in the past few weeks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcl View Post
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Especially when it comes to baseball. The problem with it in this particular case is that we will never know if those hitters in that inning would have scored at least one run no matter who the pitcher was.
    It wasn't hindsight for anyone with a baseball IQ above 20.

vCash
    It's kinda like Forrest Gulp stated about a box of chocolate, "you never know what you are getting". Too early to predict or complain about next year, second guessing is easy right now. I predicted before the season we would have issues, but never did I imagine it would be injuries to our staff, lack of on base hitting.

Players are given the chance to produce, some do some don't, and yes we have some that may have been over rated. I'm as disappointed as you and every one else. Not questioning your opinion as it is a message board but in baseball things can get fixed in a year, or more so than football. See Hunter Hines for example.
    Hines is hitting below .200 in league play. Only transfer we really hit on was Yeager. Nothing we can do about the injuries. Pen is just depleted. But we've got to find some players for next year. Juco IS NOT the answer position wise. Going to need to hit on transfers or we're going to see some FR getting a lot of time and they won't be ready.

vCash
    I'm more upset with taking until late April to figure out Davis should be in CF when it was obvious in mid March.

And keeping running stinnet back out there instead of Brandon smith. If that change happens before sec play we easily win game 2 at Georgia and vs LSU, which puts us at 10-8.

Still like lemonis though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I'm more upset with taking until late April to figure out Davis should be in CF when it was obvious in mid March.

And keeping running stinnet back out there instead of Brandon smith. If that change happens before sec play we easily win game 2 at Georgia and vs LSU, which puts us at 10-8.

Still like lemonis though.
    Yep. Agree with this post. Lemonis cost us the saturday Tulane game as well with his pitching decisions. And I'm not talking about Stone Simmons.