Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Look At The Numbers

vCash

A Look At The Numbers

So the last few weekends have started deep diving into our numbers and they really do tell the story of our team. A LOT of Ks and A LOT of runners LOB. However the past two weekends we seem to be turning the corner. We hit .282 as a team on the weekend against Auburn and hit .280 this past weekend. Here's a little further dive into the numbers from the past two weekends:

Auburn

.282 team avg.
    6 HR
    17 RBI
    15 BB
    27 K
    27 LOB

Cumbest: .538
    Hines: .400
    James: .363
    Tanner: .250

Ole Miss

.280 team avg.
    8 HR
    19 RBI
    11 BB
    38 K
    29 LOB

Cumbest: .538
    Tanner: .500
    Hancock: .307
    Forsythe: .272
    Hines: .266

Been good to see Cumbest start to really turn the corner. Hines also appears to be breaking out of his slump. K numbers were a bit high this weekend, but made up for it with the 2 HRs and 5 RBIs.

Overall we're starting to show improvement at the plate, but still a long way to go. The K numbers and LOB numbers are FAR too high.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 04-25-2022 at 10:03 AM.

vCash
    The LOB numbers really stick out to me. If we can cut those by 1/3, we will be sitting good on selection day for the tournament.

vCash
    Agree the LOB are the killer. We have enough stuff to get runs but we gotta start cashing in. If we had done that all year, we all would feel a lot different about how season has went regardless of pitching issues.

vCash
    Wonder how many of those LOB were from bases loaded situation. Those have been a curse for us

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    The LOB numbers would be lower and RBIs higher if Cumbest had been moved to the 3 or 4 spot as I?ve been screaming for weeks. Even at the 5 these two stats would look dramatically different. Have to put him within 3 spots of Yeager to maximize the offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    The LOB numbers would be lower and RBIs higher if Cumbest had been moved to the 3 or 4 spot as I?ve been screaming for weeks. Even at the 5 these two stats would look dramatically different. Have to put him within 3 spots of Yeager to maximize the offense.
    TAnner has the highest obp of any player we have in league games. He's two spots behind him to drive him in. ok move him to 5. Whatever is fine, the last two weeks he, Cumbest, has been hot. The previous 2 he didn't do anything in those series. Cumbest had a big big weekend but he also left a ton of guys on as well.... js.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    TAnner has the highest obp of any player we have in league games. He's two spots behind him to drive him in. ok move him to 5. Whatever is fine, the last two weeks he, Cumbest, has been hot. The previous 2 he didn't do anything in those series. Cumbest had a big big weekend but he also left a ton of guys on as well.... js.
    The numbers do make you think about moving a few pieces around, how can they not?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    The numbers do make you think about moving a few pieces around, how can they not?
    Sure. But leaving Hines where he was this weekend worked out fine. James had a rough weekend. But he's been pretty consistent for the most part. Certainly not elite. But nobody has been. We haven't stayed status quo. There has been a moving piece or more just about every weekend..
    I wish I could find all the sec player stats. Unfortunately, I can only find the leaders.
    Last edited by Homedawg; 04-25-2022 at 07:57 PM.

vCash
    It is strange b/c hitting with runners on base usually makes the hitters job easier. Hopefully, starting really soon, we can get a few hits with runners on base and maybe the guys loosen up a little bit when we have runners on and start knocking them in. Like everything else in baseball, two or three big hits with runners on can get the rest of the lineup going.
    Last edited by AlSwearengen; 04-25-2022 at 08:26 PM.

vCash
    I would really love to see each players and teams average with risp but I can't find that stat anywhere. If someone knows where to find it please share. That's one of the most critical stats I look at.

vCash
    The numbers tell me Auburn and Mississippi's bullpens suck. And they do.

We dont hit Friday night guys well. We swing and miss too much. We are much better on Sat/Sun when we get into bullpens.

We are 2-4 on Friday
    We are 6-6 on Sat/Sun
    We are the Baltimore Orioles of the 1980's this year without the top flight SP's due to injuries. We go out and hope for the 3 run homer.

Pitching has to keep battling- wish the hitting would stop taking so many 3rd strike FB's and think more gap to gap with 2 strikes as I teach.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    The numbers tell me Auburn and Mississippi's bullpens suck. And they do.

We dont hit Friday night guys well. We swing and miss too much. We are much better on Sat/Sun when we get into bullpens.

We are 2-4 on Friday
    We are 6-6 on Sat/Sun
    We are the Baltimore Orioles of the 1980's this year without the top flight SP's due to injuries. We go out and hope for the 3 run homer.

Pitching has to keep battling- wish the hitting would stop taking so many 3rd strike FB's and think more gap to gap with 2 strikes as I teach.
    Getting guys home from third w less than 2 outs is bad. We get plenty of opportunities. Conversion rate is poor. I'm cool w guessing early in the count based on the situation. But w two outs w have several guys that are guessing or using will James theory of look breaking ball and adjust..... that cost you a sombrero like kellum got sat while watching a cock shot fb.

vCash
    Getting guys home from third w less than 2 outs is bad. We get plenty of opportunities. Conversion rate is poor. I'm cool w guessing early in the count based on the situation. But w two outs w have several guys that are guessing or using will James theory of look breaking ball and adjust..... that cost you a sombrero like kellum got sat while watching a cock shot fb.
    Dante Bichette feels the same way. Look curve with 2 and adjust.

vCash
    Agreed on all this. One at bat Sunday by Kellum is the perfect example of this . First pitch fb he takes strike one, second pitch breaking ball in the dirt swing and miss, strike 2, third pitch fb inner third and belt high he takes for strike 3. Just an awful ab.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Dante Bichette feels the same way. Look curve with 2 and adjust.
    Look I've never played in the bigs. But I did play in college... and I assure you that if you look curve w two strikes you( meaning 90% of people on the bigs ) will k on a fastball w the velo today. It's just not possible. The other way you can adjust. Been there done that...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Agreed on all this. One at bat Sunday by Kellum is the perfect example of this . First pitch fb he takes strike one, second pitch breaking ball in the dirt swing and miss, strike 2, third pitch fb inner third and belt high he takes for strike 3. Just an awfuly ab.
    He took multiple fb for strike three this weekend. Maybe he needs to stop using Dante bichette theory

vCash
    Sure. But leaving Hines where he was this weekend worked out fine. James had a rough weekend. But he's been pretty consistent for the most part. Certainly not elite. But nobody has been. We haven't stayed status quo. There has been a moving piece or more just about every weekend..
    I wish I could find all the sec player stats. Unfortunately, I can only find the leaders.
    If you move cumbest to 5 and hines to 6, then you're going to have hines, Clark, Davis at 6-7-8. Don't want three lefties stacked like that for a lefty to come in and go through them late in games.

Also, not directed at you, but auburns bullpen doesn't suck. Burkhalter is a real guy for sure. We got to him better than anybody has.

vCash
    The bottom line is our hitters try to do too much with runners on base and or think too much at times.

vCash
    Homedawg is correct- if you are looking breaking ball with two you arent going to touch 90-plus if you get it.

It's why my father (who won a state title with a team that hit 63 HR's in 27 games) and then myself taught a gap-to-gap approach with 2 strikes. Stay back and dont try to jerk the ball with 2 strikes. Look FB and drive it up the middle and if you get the breaking/off speed slap it oppo gap. That approach may cut back on 2 strike HR's but it will also cut back on strikeouts at the plate. Obviously you can adjust that if a pitcher is not as overpowering with velo as others. Watching a FB down the middle with 2 strikes is just unacceptable.

Now then- in this day and age with all the scouting and video available to SEC hitters you should be able to guess a little more with a higher percentage of certainty. But at the end of the day- got to stop taking cock FB's
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    He took multiple fb for strike three this weekend. Maybe he needs to stop using Dante bichette theory
    Yep!