Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Reason number 387 why we will never be Top 5 in football again

  1. #1
    Senior Member Coach34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    26,066
    vCash
    2610

    Reason number 387 why we will never be Top 5 in football again

    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

  2. #2
    Senior Member starkvegasdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Eye of the Storm
    Posts
    21,836
    vCash
    3275
    Bracky will suspend three players half a season each just to be safe.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    3,750
    vCash
    3828
    This sport is just ruined. No team anymore. Just hopping around to who will pay the most. And somehow this wasn't supposed to affect recruiting players!! Ha yeah right!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member smootness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    14,593
    vCash
    3000
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    This sport is just ruined. No team anymore. Just hopping around to who will pay the most. And somehow this wasn't supposed to affect recruiting players!! Ha yeah right!!
    This is yet another lesson to be careful what you wish for. Everyone wanted the NCAA out, well they are essentially now out.

    I'm very curious to see how fan interest plays out over the next 5-10 years. I won't be surprised if the interest in the sport craters and there's very little NIL opportunity left for anybody.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Covington, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,653
    vCash
    700722589
    Remember there will always be the sidewalk fans that live and die by what happens to the team they pull for because that team wins most if not all their games. Most of these individuals never set foot in a college classroom, let alone graduated. We all know many of these people and their self-worth is based on winning football games. They will be happy that their chosen favorite team will keep that advantage.

  6. #6
    Senior Member msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    65,072
    vCash
    10439
    Haha, we are gonna get destroyed year-in, year-out

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    954
    vCash
    3100
    {This}

  8. #8
    Senior Member IMissJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,917
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This is yet another lesson to be careful what you wish for. Everyone wanted the NCAA out, well they are essentially now out.

    I'm very curious to see how fan interest plays out over the next 5-10 years. I won't be surprised if the interest in the sport craters and there's very little NIL opportunity left for anybody.

    In my opinion it is going to die at most schools. A kid gets into school legitimately through academics and pays $25-$30K at most State schools. Football player at same school has no tuition, free food, tutor, and special everything, plus now $25-$50K in salary (NIL). Unless you are at an elite football power with a legit shot at any run at a natty, why is the first student going to emotionally support the second. I’m not saying that players at these schools have not been given benefits in the past anyway, but I am saying it was ambiguous and somewhat secret. Ignorance was bliss for the masses.

  9. #9
    Senior Member DownwardDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Covington County Mississippi
    Posts
    7,740
    vCash
    998845
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    Remember there will always be the sidewalk fans that live and die by what happens to the team they pull for because that team wins most if not all their games. Most of these individuals never set foot in a college classroom, let alone graduated. We all know many of these people and their self-worth is based on winning football games. They will be happy that their chosen favorite team will keep that advantage.
    It's over. Just a matter of time. And it won't be long.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,502
    vCash
    3100
    I could be wrong but I seem to recall on this board people saying (in different words I'm sure) that free tuition to top schools wasn't enough.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10,713
    vCash
    3700
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This is yet another lesson to be careful what you wish for. Everyone wanted the NCAA out, well they are essentially now out.

    I'm very curious to see how fan interest plays out over the next 5-10 years. I won't be surprised if the interest in the sport craters and there's very little NIL opportunity left for anybody.
    Great post.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Saltydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,884
    vCash
    3706
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This is yet another lesson to be careful what you wish for. Everyone wanted the NCAA out, well they are essentially now out.

    I'm very curious to see how fan interest plays out over the next 5-10 years. I won't be surprised if the interest in the sport craters and there's very little NIL opportunity left for anybody.
    Between the NIL and the transfer portal my interest is beginning to wain in football and basketball. We're essentially done. Our baseball team should have some great NIL deals with our culture and fan base but we don't need to wait too long and let others get too far ahead of us.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

  13. #13
    Senior Member maroonmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    18,108
    vCash
    3700
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This is yet another lesson to be careful what you wish for. Everyone wanted the NCAA out, well they are essentially now out.

    I'm very curious to see how fan interest plays out over the next 5-10 years. I won't be surprised if the interest in the sport craters and there's very little NIL opportunity left for anybody.
    I thought most wanted the NCAA reorganized or overhauled because they rarely enforced their own rules and when they did it was total selective enforcement to make sure they didn't hurt any of the sacred cow programs. Not sure anyone wanted all the amateur rules tossed out with the bath water which is essentially what has happened now. Most of us here wanted scholarship reductions to make the sport more competitive. Free transfers and NIL is going to have the exact opposite effect makimg the sport even less competitive than it is right now. And the end result as several have mentioned is that the elite program fans will just get that much more invested while fans of all other schools will just grow more apathetic and season ticket sales will decline. It will be the haves and the have nots at a level we have never seen before.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,309
    vCash
    32000
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Our baseball team should have some great NIL deals with our culture and fan base but we don't need to wait too long and let others get too far ahead of us.
    Looks like the Vols may already have a jump but on the flip side NIL should greatly help in negating Vandy's huge advantage. You are right though, we need to get on it relentlessly.

  15. #15
    Senior Member BeardoMSU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    16,626
    vCash
    53100
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This is yet another lesson to be careful what you wish for. Everyone wanted the NCAA out, well they are essentially now out.

    I'm very curious to see how fan interest plays out over the next 5-10 years. I won't be surprised if the interest in the sport craters and there's very little NIL opportunity left for anybody.
    Very possible.

  16. #16
    Senior Member BeardoMSU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    16,626
    vCash
    53100
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I thought most wanted the NCAA reorganized or overhauled because they rarely enforced their own rules and when they did it was total selective enforcement to make sure they didn't hurt any of the sacred cow programs. Not sure anyone wanted all the amateur rules tossed out with the bath water which is essentially what has happened now. Most of us here wanted scholarship reductions to make the sport more competitive. Free transfers and NIL is going to have the exact opposite effect makimg the sport even less competitive than it is right now. And the end result as several have mentioned is that the elite program fans will just get that much more invested while fans of all other schools will just grow more apathetic and season ticket sales will decline. It will be the haves and the have nots at a level we have never seen before.
    The importance of compromise is lost on many, in many aspects of life, sadly.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    105
    vCash
    3100
    To me it is truly a very sad day in college football and basketball. The days of showing up for college football games in the fall with a true desire to be a part of the greatest spectacle in all of sports is now lost for most schools. Gone are the players that really wanted to be at the university of their choice, to represent their university and go out give all they had. Now all we have are basically hired goons that don?t give a rats @#$ about us as fans, the university they play for or anything but how much they will get paid and if they can get drafted by the NFL.

    For me they can have it! I won?t support it. I won?t truly care what happens on Saturday.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8,646
    vCash
    3200
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I thought most wanted the NCAA reorganized or overhauled because they rarely enforced their own rules and when they did it was total selective enforcement to make sure they didn't hurt any of the sacred cow programs. Not sure anyone wanted all the amateur rules tossed out with the bath water which is essentially what has happened now. Most of us here wanted scholarship reductions to make the sport more competitive. Free transfers and NIL is going to have the exact opposite effect makimg the sport even less competitive than it is right now. And the end result as several have mentioned is that the elite program fans will just get that much more invested while fans of all other schools will just grow more apathetic and season ticket sales will decline. It will be the haves and the have nots at a level we have never seen before.
    This may be what they're shooting for in order to get the support for the super conference.

  19. #19
    Super Moderator CadaverDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    32,663
    vCash
    3002600
    Yeah unfortunately hoops and football for anyone outside of the blue bloods is already dying. Many just dont realize it yet bc the scores between the have and have nots havent gotten lopsided enough yet. In 5-10 years the college sports we love so much and grew up not missing a minute of, will be long gone. Baseball will follow. It's a shame. I've already gotten to where I don't care as much, and I'm sure there are many more like me. There's a reason that minor league sports have crappy attendance...it will just become more about who can buy the best team. No more playing for the pride of your university or for the passion of the game. Instead it's just a job. It's sad really.

  20. #20
    Senior Member IMissJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,917
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Yeah unfortunately hoops and football for anyone outside of the blue bloods is already dying. Many just dont realize it yet bc the scores between the have and have nots havent gotten lopsided enough yet. In 5-10 years the college sports we love so much and grew up not missing a minute of, will be long gone. Baseball will follow. It's a shame. I've already gotten to where I don't care as much, and I'm sure there are many more like me. There's a reason that minor league sports have crappy attendance...it will just become more about who can buy the best team. No more playing for the pride of your university or for the passion of the game. Instead it's just a job. It's sad really.
    IMO it will only get fixed when nontraditional football schools with more money than Bama, etc. start putting together super teams and start taking the blue bloods’ candy so to speak. For example, what if Harvard, Yale, Stanford types decided to organize some of those billionaires and top 25 in football started looking like it did back in the 1920’s? I think there would suddenly be a lot of discussion about doing something.

    FYI Texas A&M and Texas are going to be able to put together the best NIL packages in the SEC .
    Last edited by IMissJack; 04-24-2022 at 08:10 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.