Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why aren't we getting MBK transfers?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Percho View Post
    Methinks in a few years most colleges will shut down all sports. There will still be some for maybe 20/30 teams the guys playing will be rich and a lot, thousands of kids will not even be going to college.
    There will definitely be schools that shut down certain programs and just focus on one or two sports…. I don’t think as a whole though SEC teams or major P5 teams will be drastically changed program wise… I think it will be interesting to watch schools like JSU and other schools start prioritizing certain sports with what NIL they can offer, will certainly be interesting to watch. But if you are looking for parity in basketball or football what you see now is what you will get moving forward.

D2 sports are about to be more competitive due to d1 athletes going that route due to lack opportunities because of some schools closing down certain sports

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Middle of the pack nationally is what he meant, I think.
    We aren't that. Hell, we've been to one tourney in almost 15 years. Only made round of 32 six times ever. That's pathetic! Middle of the pack to me is making the tourney every couple years and actually winning a game or games every couple of those. Our program is bad!
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 04-25-2022 at 03:28 AM.

vCash
    Wonder if we could start getting 1st rounders In baseball if we put the adidas logo on the stadium and started shelling out the recruits MLB asking price… Just a thought…

vCash
    Is it really all about NIL deals though? If you go look at the transfer portal, teams like Arkansas, Texas Tech, Providence, UAB, South Carolina, St. Johns, SMU etc. Have brought in really good 4 star players from the portal. Those aren't "Blue Blood" schools. Jans can coach, he has proven that, but will he be able to recruit those type of guys that Howland was able to get?

This is an honest question to those of you who follow the NIL process because I really don't, but Providence is leading the nation so far in the transfer portal rankings. What do they offer that a team like Mississippi State can't? They had some success in the past when Ryan Gomes played there but they aren't a power house program. Also, Arkansas is #2 and Arizona State is #3

vCash
    but will he be able to recruit those type of guys that Howland was able to get?

This is a real question. Personally, I don't think so. And, our style of play and record will probably be very close to Howland's.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    but will he be able to recruit those type of guys that Howland was able to get?

This is a real question. Personally, I don't think so. And, our style of play and record will probably be very close to Howland's.
    Whoever Jans gets will play harder and better than what we are used to seeing, therefore our record will be better than what we've been used to.

vCash
    Whoever Jans gets will play harder and better than what we are used to seeing, therefore our record will be better than what we've been used to.
    I've never got the impression that we didn't play hard under howland. Now his coaching of the offensive game needed an upgrade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    Is it really all about NIL deals though? If you go look at the transfer portal, teams like Arkansas, Texas Tech, Providence, UAB, South Carolina, St. Johns, SMU etc. Have brought in really good 4 star players from the portal. Those aren't "Blue Blood" schools. Jans can coach, he has proven that, but will he be able to recruit those type of guys that Howland was able to get?

This is an honest question to those of you who follow the NIL process because I really don't, but Providence is leading the nation so far in the transfer portal rankings. What do they offer that a team like Mississippi State can't? They had some success in the past when Ryan Gomes played there but they aren't a power house program. Also, Arkansas is #2 and Arizona State is #3
    Providence may not be a Power 5 school but we don't know there alums' commitment to the basketball program and it takes just one or a few to commit the funds for a collective and the desire along with coaches' desire to move aggressively in that direction to change a team very quickly when combined with the transfer portal. This new NCAA world, especially basketball, is changing so greatly and so rapidly.

I am afraid the days of building and developing your team along with good coaching may be about gone! You develop a kid and he produces and you have minimal NIL opps, he/she is gone to one who does...Pure Free Agency!

Either we have an administration not interested enough in NIL or we don't have the boosters interested enough in such because we seem well behind!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Maybe bc of this...

Nijel Pack transfers to Miami: Former Kansas State star to earn $800,000 in NIL deal with LifeWallet

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ev96Qp78q80rmg

I don't think college sports are gonna be good for us in the future
    Won't be good for anybody because they're no longer "college sports". Do the players still have to register and attend class?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltadawg63 View Post
    Providence may not be a Power 5 school but we don't know there alums' commitment to the basketball program and it takes just one or a few to commit the funds for a collective and the desire along with coaches' desire to move aggressively in that direction to change a team very quickly when combined with the transfer portal. This new NCAA world, especially basketball, is changing so greatly and so rapidly.

I am afraid the days of building and developing your team along with good coaching may be about gone! You develop a kid and he produces and you have minimal NIL opps, he/she is gone to one who does...Pure Free Agency!

Either we have an administration not interested enough in NIL or we don't have the boosters interested enough in such because we seem well behind!
    Correct me if I'm wrong but getting NIL money isn't directly related to Aumns and boosters right? If your good enough aren't business signing these players to deals?

I've seen alot of post saying the big schools like Georgia, Florida, UK, UNC Bama etc will just buy their players but that's not what the numbers have shown in basketball just yet.
    Last edited by NCMSTFAN; 04-25-2022 at 05:24 PM.

vCash
    Maybe bc of this...

Nijel Pack transfers to Miami: Former Kansas State star to earn $800,000 in NIL deal with LifeWallet

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ev96Qp78q80rmg

I don't think college sports are gonna be good for us in the future
    It is all about money now. Baseball is our only chance to be elite anymore and it is going to take a huge concentrated effort between administration, boosters and fans pulling collectively. We have no chance in football or basketball anymore. It is what it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but getting NIL money isn't directly related to Aumns and boosters right? If your good enough aren't business signing these players to deals?

I've seen alot of post saying the big schools like Georgia, Florida, UK, UNC Bama etc will just buy their players but that's not what the numbers have shown in basketball just yet.
    We can say it isn?t but it really is. $$$

vCash
    Did Jans have any affiliation with Adidas?

vCash
    I've never got the impression that we didn't play hard under howland. Now his non-existant coaching of the offensive game needed an upgrade.
    My wife liked to regularly remind me that Howland basically had no inbounds plays or actual offensive game plan. I had nothing to point to for arguments sake.

vCash
    All will be fine. The same 6-8 teams will continue to dominate football and basketball. Let's not pretend that we or 120 other D1 teams are losing our chance to win championships, especially in football. The battles for a 8 five-star class won't involve us.

vCash
    I've never got the impression that we didn't play hard under howland. Now his coaching of the offensive game needed an upgrade.
    At times we didn't play hard, and rarely played smart. Howland is as knowledgeable about basketball as anyone in the business, but that obviously didnt translate to wins.

vCash
    At times we didn't play hard, and rarely played smart. Howland is as knowledgeable about basketball as anyone in the business, but that obviously didnt translate to wins.
    I think the game changed and he lost his ability to communicate with todays players. He never adapted or changed with the times I dont think