Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Braves 2022 regular season - going for a repeat

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    I don't get this deal. The savings for the team are minimal, even if Strider stays healthy and is a beast. One FA year at $20M+, and he gets a $5M buyout of it if he's not healthy or a bust? Great deal for Strider.
    Takes him out of the arbitration guessing game. I think that the Braves are taking a strategy of if they earn it, pay them early, and hope they keep that in mind in 6 years, and maybe give a home town discount to keep winning on a solidly built team.
    Baring injury, this core group they've locked up is going to be contending every year.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Takes him out of the arbitration guessing game. I think that the Braves are taking a strategy of if they earn it, pay them early, and hope they keep that in mind in 6 years, and maybe give a home town discount to keep winning on a solidly built team.
    Baring injury, this core group they've locked up is going to be contending every year.
    This.

vCash
    Yeah, but they're taking him out of that guessing game by just paying him the max he could earn. I don't see the upside.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    Yeah, but they're taking him out of that guessing game by just paying him the max he could earn. I don't see the upside.
    Looking at this a little deeper, cause I still don't get it. They will pay $1M per for his 2 remaining pre-arb years. Ok, standard. $4M for his 1st arbitration year. Ok, again standard. Then, $20M for 2nd arbitration year, $22M for 3rd, and $22M for 1 FA year. (For comparison, Fried is projected to get $12M for his 3rd arb year. )
    $22M option for 2nd FA year, with $5M buyout. So, if he's a bust or just average, that's $69M or $23M a year for the last 3 years, when you could have had it for probably $15M total. All to "get" one FA year and 1 option year at $22M each. I guess there's upside there, as that's basically what Morton is costing these days. But very little, as even pitching to Fried level you're overpaying him by $10-15M for his arbitration years. If he's the equivalent of a $30M per year pitcher (Bauer, DeGrom), you're just breaking even.

I know he's been a stud this year, but I don't think any pitcher is worth guaranteeing stud money to 6-7 years down the road.

vCash
    Terrible strike call against Contreras cost us a couple runs in the first. At least we fought back at the end. Put some fear back in em. Go get em tomorrow.

vCash
    Snit did some questionable moves today...

Used Chavez in the crucial spot vs their best guys instead of mchugh who he used once the Phillies were up comfortably.

Then with runners on 1st and 2nd, he pH Grissom for grossman. Grossman is on the postseason roster bc he hits lhp, but got ph for a lhp. Bc snit ph Grissom, he had to immediately burn our only lh ph (Rosario) to play lf for Grissom. If grossman was hurt, you ph ozuna.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Snit did some questionable moves today...

Used Chavez in the crucial spot vs their best guys instead of mchugh who he used once the Phillies were up comfortably.

Then with runners on 1st and 2nd, he pH Grissom for grossman. Grossman is on the postseason roster bc he hits lhp, but got ph for a lhp. Bc snit ph Grissom, he had to immediately burn our only lh ph (Rosario) to play lf for Grissom. If grossman was hurt, you ph ozuna.
    Definitely some head scratchers but Braves literally gave that one away. Error by max, left a village on base, etc. he managed about like played. Just a bad day.

vCash
    Braves came through against the Phillies' best pitcher. Now all the pressure shifts to the Phillies in game 3 with their 2nd best (Nola) on the mound. Bowman thinks it'll be Morton for braves. If it is Morton, that tells me strider is most likely pen this series

vCash
    Braves came through against the Phillies' best pitcher. Now all the pressure shifts to the Phillies in game 3 with their 2nd best (Nola) on the mound. Bowman thinks it'll be Morton for braves. If it is Morton, that tells me strider is most likely pen this series
    Stellar defense by our Honorary Dog and by my fellow MHS Blue Devil last night. We need to lock up Dansby.

I think they are holding Strider just to make sure. Last thing you want is to sign him to a big deal and then blow him out. Personally, I'd hold him to a potential Game 5, and if they don't have one let him start in the NLCS.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Stellar defense by our Honorary Dog and by my fellow MHS Blue Devil last night. We need to lock up Dansby.

I think they are holding Strider just to make sure. Last thing you want is to sign him to a big deal and then blow him out. Personally, I'd hold him to a potential Game 5, and if they don't have one let him start in the NLCS.
    I want dansby back too. With the shift being banned, Swanson's value is gonna go up. I'd settle for trea turner too though haha

vCash
    I want dansby back too. With the shift being banned, Swanson's value is gonna go up. I'd settle for trea turner too though haha
    Yeah there really is no losing between Swanson, Correa, and Turner. Just get one of them

vCash
    Don't keep up with baseball anymore but curious ... do you mean the shift used sometimes when straight pull hitters come to plate?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Don't keep up with baseball anymore but curious ... do you mean the shift used sometimes when straight pull hitters come to plate?
    Yes. You will have to have 2 infielders on each side of 2nd base next season. Pretty sure you can put them in short rf either

vCash
    Yes. You will have to have 2 infielders on each side of 2nd base next season. Pretty sure you can put them in short rf either
    Did you mean "can't put them in short rf either"?

This is a stupid rule. That's like saying 4 or 5 guys on defense have to be on LOS in a football game. Just totally stupid rule IMO. You should be allowed to line up however you want when playing defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Did you mean "can't put them in short rf either"?

This is a stupid rule. That's like saying 4 or 5 guys on defense have to be on LOS in a football game. Just totally stupid rule IMO. You should be allowed to line up however you want when playing defense.
    Yes, i meant to say what you wrote.

I'm not sure what to think of the rule yet. Waiting to see how it affects the game first

vCash
    Yeah we need to keep Dansby.

vCash
    I was hoping we'd pitch Strider tomorrow. Morton has been bad against Philly this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    I was hoping we'd pitch Strider tomorrow. Morton has been bad against Philly this year.
    Me too. Morton gives up to many home runs and pitching in that small ballpark is not a good matchup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    Bowman is just guessing. Nothing is decided yet... well publicly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Me too. Morton gives up to many home runs and pitching in that small ballpark is not a good matchup.
    He will have to pitch one of them in Philly unless you want odorizzi.

All we realistically need from Morton is 4 innings...

Morton for 4
    Lee for 1
    Mchugh for 1
    Iglesias/minter for 1
    Iglesias/minter for 1
    Jansen for 1

Morton has been really good against rhh and a playoff boss. Hopefully he can do it again