Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
we have incredibly similar stories ... I remember my grandad listening on the radio and when they finally got cable and he could watch every ballgame it was like Heaven for him ... he passed a couple years before Bream lumbered around those bases ... Hell, I even missed it as I went to bed with 2 outs in the 9th that night (I was on Eastern time) ... that was in Jones County - we weren't that far apart I see
My grandad was one of those too. We could always watch the Braves since we lived in Marietta, but when he got cable he could watch the Cubs in the afternoon. He loved Harry Caray from having listened to Cardinals games in the 40s and 50s on the radio - and he'd been a huge Musial fan. My grandad had a nice garden, and in the summer he would work all morning in the garden, break for lunch, then work until the Cubs game started. He'd come in from outside, drink a Bud in about 2 gulps, and lay back in his Lazy-Boy to watch the game. He'd nap from about the 5th inning until Harry started in with Take Me out to the Ball Game

My Dad got to take him to a World Series game in '92 - last pro game he ever went to before he passed in '97.