Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Listening to Leach and Saban.. PIs accross the nation is messed up

vCash

Listening to Leach and Saban.. PIs accross the nation is messed up

I don't think either is saying something we all don't know, but like saban stated.. in the NFL it's clear. But there is zero consistency by the refs on these calls. So how do coaches know what to teach or how correct technique. Young took 3 shots to the head vs UT. As many here noted, had that been us we would have seen our player ejected.

It's a crap shot not from just game to game, but from play to play one if it's going to be called consistently.

vCash
    That's the problem I have with officiating is there is absolute zero consistency in interpreting the rules. One play it is a penalty, one play it isn't. It's completely arbitrary. Some of the defensive holding calls we had were just awful and the call on Austin Williams on the kick return was brutal. We should all be used to it by now.

vCash
    Exactly. And I think that Saban nailed it. Just be clear on what it is because that's the way teams are teaching the technique and they are doing what they are coached to do and somehow today, it's a penalty.

vCash
    I’m not sure it’s consistency as much as it’s a tool for controlling the outcome of a game, just like holding. These calls can easily be selectively called for favored teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    Exactly. And I think that Saban nailed it. Just be clear on what it is because that's the way teams are teaching the technique and they are doing what they are coached to do and somehow today, it's a penalty.
    Yep, that's the reason for all the anger at calls is there is no clarity and there's really no accountability for these guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    That's the problem I have with officiating is there is absolute zero consistency in interpreting the rules. One play it is a penalty, one play it isn't. It's completely arbitrary. Some of the defensive holding calls we had were just awful and the call on Austin Williams on the kick return was brutal. We should all be used to it by now.
    I've heard rumors that some SEC officials are mad at MSU because of the stir we caused with the Memphis game last year. We got some people fired and Marc Curles demoted. And rightfully so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    I’m not sure it’s consistency as much as it’s a tool for controlling the outcome of a game, just like holding. These calls can easily be selectively called for favored teams.
    You do have to wonder with as popular as gambling is out there. The end of the Texas A&M game where they basically gave them a TD made me raise my eyebrows some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yep, that's the reason for all the anger at calls is there is no clarity and there's really no accountability for these guys.
    Exactly. And if the coach complains about it the coach and school is fined even if he is correct! Make it make sense!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I've heard rumors that some SEC officials are mad at MSU because of the stir we caused with the Memphis game last year. We got some people fired and Marc Curles demoted. And rightfully so.
    That wouldn't shock me in the least.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Decam should be benched for his inability to cover UK WRs without holding/PI.

I think they said he had 5 holding and 2 PI (or something ridiculous like that) I usually watch the replay to confirm things like that, but I refuse to watch that shit-show again.

Who is Decam's backup? HailState site no longer has depth charts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post

I think they said he had 5 holding and 2 PI (or something ridiculous like that) I usually watch the replay to confirm things like that, but I refuse to watch that shit-show again.

Both those calls were very ticky-tak, and are actually very good examples of what is being talked about by Saban. One of those PI's, Decam literally touched the WR - no grab - while they were in stride. Didn't bump, didn't impede progress. The announcers even questioned it and said it didn't look like PI.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Saban mentioned the play last year where there guy went up to block a pass, both arms up and came down and landed on the QB. Was called targeting. And the guy ejected. He stated the rules say you can not hit the QB in the head. Well they sent video to the SEC of 3 very easy to see shots to Byrce Youngs head. One was the target we all talked about, another was the forearm to his head. ETC...

He used those as another example of consistency. In the era of replay, some of that should never be missed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post

Yeah, those calls are the ones that Leach and Saban are talking about. Both were looking for the ball and are allowed to make a play on the ball. The WR was locked up to our guy as much as ours to his. It's down to what they want to call and when, and it should never be that way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    Yeah, those calls are the ones that Leach and Saban are talking about. Both were looking for the ball and are allowed to make a play on the ball. The WR was locked up to our guy as much as ours to his. It's down to what they want to call and when, and it should never be that way.
    This, it's way to arbitray and there is zero consistency!

vCash
    Curles should have been fired. He's one of the worst officials out there.

And anybody that thinks there isn't any bias with officiating is delusional. One of my coworkers husband is best friends with an ex-SEC official that officiated in the '90s and early 2000s. She said he told them he HATED State and would look for any little ticky tack bullshit he could throw a flag on. Some of those stupid, asinine calls in the late 90's? That's probably him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Both those calls were very ticky-tak, and are actually very good examples of what is being talked about by Saban. One of those PI's, Decam literally touched the WR - no grab - while they were in stride. Didn't bump, didn't impede progress. The announcers even questioned it and said it didn't look like PI.
    Read the rules from the NCAA:

Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward pass. When in question, a legal forward pass is catchable. Defensive pass interference occurs only after a legal forward pass is thrown

That's pretty clear right***** rulebook also explains several examples of when it’s not defensive pass interference. Those examples include:

1. When, after the snap, opposing players immediately charge and establish contact with opponents at a point that is within one yard beyond the neutral zone.

2. When two or more eligible players are making a simultaneous and bona fide attempt to reach, catch or bat the pass. Eligible players of either team have equal rights to the ball. (This happened with DeCam. Should have never been called)

3. When a Team B player legally contacts an opponent before the pass is thrown. (What does that even mean... LEGALLY CONTACT... That's what DeCam did. He legally toughed him with out impeding his route to a possible pass)

The “catchable” pass part is key because that adds another level of subjectivity to a rule that some would argue is too subjectively enforced.

NOW let's look at the opposite... Offensive:

Offensive pass interference is contact by a Team A player beyond the neutral zone that interferes with a Team B player during a legal forward pass play in which the forward pass crosses the neutral zone. It is the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid the opponents.

How many times do we see a WR put hands on the DB? Every game... all game.

Similarly, the rules also break down what does not constitute offensive pass interference. It’s not offensive pass interference if:

1. When, after the snap, a Team A ineligible player immediately charges and contacts an opponent at a point not more than one yard beyond the neutral zone and maintains the contact for no more than three yards beyond the neutral zone.

2. When two or more eligible players are making a simultaneous and bona fide attempt to reach, catch or bat the pass. Eligible players of either team have equal rights to the ball.

3. When the pass is in flight and two or more eligible players are in the area where they might receive or intercept the pass and an offensive player in that area impedes an opponent, and the pass is not catchable.

#2 is where they are hammering defenses over the offense.

Now... What about the NFL:

Article 2:

(a) Contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the opponent’s opportunity to make the catch;
    (b) Playing through the back of an opponent in an attempt to make a play on the ball;
    (c) Grabbing an opponent’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass;
    (d) Extending an arm across the body of an opponent, thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, and regardless of whether the
    player committing such act is playing the ball;
    (e) Cutting off the path of an opponent by making contact with him, without playing the ball;
    (f) Hooking an opponent in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the opponent’s body to turn prior to the
    ball arriving; or
    (g) Initiating contact with an opponent by shoving or pushing off, thus creating separation.

What is allowed:

(a) Incidental contact by an opponent’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is
    looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.
    (b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.
    (c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players,
    except as specified in 8-3-2 and 8-5-4 pertaining to blocking downfield by the offense.
    (d) Laying a hand on an opponent that does not restrict him in an attempt to make a play on the ball.
    (e) Contact by a player who has gained position on an opponent in an attempt to catch the ball.

More clear.

vCash
    First thing they need to do is take the control of Refs from the conferences and put them under NCAA and possible make them full time employees. Keep their asses training year round. Have rewards and consequences for bad calls and keep the fans informed on action the NCAA take with Refs who make game changing bad calls. Hell half the problem is the SEC is so secret with what they do to Refs who make bad calls. Keep us informed. That would go along way.

vCash
    We need more undercover State grads/fans officiating our games....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    First thing they need to do is take the control of Refs from the conferences and put them under NCAA and possible make them full time employees. Keep their asses training year round. Have rewards and consequences for bad calls and keep the fans informed on action the NCAA take with Refs who make game changing bad calls. Hell half the problem is the SEC is so secret with what they do to Refs who make bad calls. Keep us informed. That would go along way.
    This.

I don't want a bunch of LSU and Bama alums officiating SEC games. It needs to be NCAA oversight w/ a pool of refs from all over officiating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    This! A multi billion dollar business and they can't afford full time officials? Gimme a break and yes they need accountability big time! Gost post, Jack!