Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landon Simms bullpen video

vCash

Landon Simms bullpen video

Full Count Baseball, @FullCountGA has an overlay of Landon?s 3 pitches on twitter. I?m not sure when the bullpen took place but they put it on twitter 2 hrs ago, so I would imagine that it is a recent bullpen. The video was setup to overlay his pitches and give the viewer an idea of how well he tunnels his pitches. I was mostly interested in seeing his change, which looked to have pretty decent movement, but the nature and angle of the video made it a little hard to know for sure.

I will say this, the way that he is able to tunnel his 3 pitches is impressive and if he has an average change, he should be fine. He should be able to sit at 92/93 with his fastball and get a lot of weak contact b/c of deception if he can command all 3 pitches.

Banned
    vCash
    Sorry we only care about bad news here.

But nah. That overlay was nasty. If that change is consistent then we'll get a steady 6 innings a friday night out of him. I'm with it.

vCash
    So glad he's added the change to his arsenal. It was a must, imo.

vCash
    If his change is just decent- he'll win at least 12 this Spring/Summer
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I think he is going to be pretty dominant as a starter. We kind of got a glimpse in the postseason when he closed out multiple innings some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    If his change is just decent- he'll win at least 12 this Spring/Summer
    One thing in our favor as far as that is there are not a ton of high draft prospects at pitcher in the SEC. One of the top ones was Pallette at Arkansas and he is out with Tommy John. Two of the others- Blade Tidwell and Hunter Barco we get in Starkville. And there are rumors of Derek Diamond not being 100% for Ole Miss as their ace.

This is where we have an advantage- we have a deep pitching staff with a lot of pieces. It's not the best staff ever- but it's probably the best in the SEC right now. So, while someone like LSU or Arkansas or even Ole Miss may have the best lineup we should win our share because we have a good offense AND pitching.

vCash
    I would ease him into it this spring. No more than 3-4 while it’s cold and gradually ease him up when we get into SEC play. I know Foxhall and Lemonis can manage pitching so I expect something to this nature.

I saw Walling on D1 baseball when they talked about juco transfers. Dude looked good!

vCash
    He showed a straight change late last year. It was ok and he could locate it. My guess is it's gotten better. Looks like it has some arm side run with downward movement.

vCash
    Like C34 said, his change doesn't even have to be that good. Just needs to flash it every now and keep LH hitters honest with it.

vCash
    He is so good in relief. Will we be able to build his stamina enough to be a starter that is near the caliber or value that he is coming out of the pen to close down games?

vCash
    The mind set and having to pace yourself To get 21 -24 outs instead of 6-9 outs
    To me that’s going to be the biggest hurdle early for LS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    He is so good in relief. Will we be able to build his stamina enough to be a starter that is near the caliber or value that he is coming out of the pen to close down games?
    He's always been a SP until last year. He will be fine.

As Ari says- he just has to adjust his mindset to get 21 outs instead of 6-9. Fristoe needs to get his head straight as well because there were times he seemed too amped up out there. Closers can be intense and mad on the mound for short outings- but SP's need that quiet intensity that lasts an hour and a half to two hours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    He's slimmed up quite a bit since last season so I'm guessing they're working hard to build up his stamina........
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Needs to work on some sink with the change. LSU's PC does a great job with developing that with his pitchers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    I would ease him into it this spring. No more than 3-4 while it’s cold and gradually ease him up when we get into SEC play. I know Foxhall and Lemonis can manage pitching so I expect something to this nature.

I saw Walling on D1 baseball when they talked about juco transfers. Dude looked good!
    You think Lemonis might have this figured out !!

vCash
    Sims will be fine.

vCash
    Landon will succeed as a starter because he's "That Dude". You can see it him, he's got the "IT" factor. Landon is gonna succeed no matter where you put him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post

If he can command the zone he'll be fine, walling that is, but until then....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    If he can command the zone he'll be fine, walling that is, but until then....
    Huge question mark for me too. He has success at Oregon State as a reliever so if starting doesn't work out he may help us in the pen.