Thread: Not a basketball guru

vCash

Not a basketball guru

But I know enough to be fairly dangerous and may be qualified enough to coach Upward basketball.

Anyway...I know that MSU runs a style of offense that is not up tempo.

How difficult would it be for MSU to install that type of offense with the players we have? Would it be a massive 2-3 year rebuild?

I think that style would be more enjoyable to watch but I also am not sure that I would necessarily want to blow up everything that we have either.

Would we score more points at the expense of worse defense?

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Yes we run our offense at a slower pace. No offense is not an issue for this team.

We're 5th in the SEC in PPG
    We're 2nd in the SEC in FG %
    We're 4th in the SEC in 3PT %
    We're 4th in the SEC in FT %
    We avg the 3rd fewest turnovers in the SEC
    We have the 4th best Assist:Turnover ratio in the SEC
    We have the 18th most efficient offense in the country. 2nd in the SEC only to Kentucky.

In other words our offense isn't fast paced but it's highly effective & efficient. Anybody who think our offense has been an issue hasn't watched us this year. We struggle when we can't get stops.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Yes we run our offense at a slower pace. No offense is not an issue for this team.

We're 5th in the SEC in PPG
    We're 2nd in the SEC in FG %
    We're 4th in the SEC in 3PT %
    We're 4th in the SEC in FT %
    We avg the 3rd fewest turnovers in the SEC
    We have the 4th best Assist:Turnover ratio in the SEC
    We have the 18th most efficient offense in the country. 2nd in the SEC only to Kentucky.

In other words our offense isn't fast paced but it's highly effective & efficient. Anybody who think our offense has been an issue hasn't watched us this year. We struggle when we can't get stops.
    I hear you. I guess I'm saying fast paced would be more fun to watch. Not necessarily that offense is an issue.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I hear you. I guess I'm saying fast paced would be more fun to watch. Not necessarily that offense is an issue.
    It's only more fun to watch if you're winning. Scoring & losing feels the same as scoring 70 & losing.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    It's only more fun to watch if you're winning. Scoring & losing feels the same as scoring 70 & losing.
    Disagree. 00s NBA was a boring brand of basketball. I hated watching the Spurs. I loved the :07 seconds or less Suns. The '14 Spurs and Boris Diaw made that finals some of the most beautiful basketball that I have ever seen. '15 Warriors followed it up with an even better masterclass. It's fun to watch fluid movement, high tempo scoring.

It's the same kind of core concept that you see with Leach and football this year. You don't feel out of it with an up tempo style offense. One barrage of shooting in a minute could have you flip the game 10+ points. Our old style of football, you feel like once we were down 10+ we didn't have the ability to mount a comeback. Same applies for this offense in basketball.

I enjoy watching the Pelicans play way more this year than I enjoy our men's team. Playing fun basketball even without Zion.

vCash
    The D is not near as good with Tolu injured. Howland doesn't have anyone comparable to guard the 5 on this squad. Brooks sort of looks the part but he no want to.

Banned
    vCash
    Never understood all the "this team's hard to watch" & "this team's no fun to watch" quotes as they only seem to surface when we lose or scrape by a podunk we should be smashing. When we beat quality opponents, I could care less what it looks like.