Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we just offer a legit dual threat QB?

vCash

Did we just offer a legit dual threat QB?

Kamron Sandlin - 4.6 40 - 6'4" - 220 lbs

If so, what is going on LOL. There may be hope for this offense after all....

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    He's not being recruited by MSU as a QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Well shit. Couldn't you let us all dream for at least a day before popping that bubble.

vCash
    Dangit IYOK, you're pissing in my cheerios this morning... oh man what a dual threat QB could do in this offense.

vCash
    At this point I’ll just take some “minimal mobility”.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Well shit. Couldn't you let us all dream for at least a day before popping that bubble.
    Just the idea of recruiting a dual threat would tell me that our offense is looking to add some variation

vCash
    Gardner Minshew is listed as a duel threat on Rivals

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...-minshew-25830

Was he an exception to Leach's rule?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Just the idea of recruiting a dual threat would tell me that our offense is looking to add some variation
    Some of y'all will have to let the dream of a running QB go. That is not what CML runs. It is what it is. To be fair, we have our QB for at least the next two years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Some of y'all will have to let the dream of a running QB go. That is not what CML runs. It is what it is. To be fair, we have our QB for at least the next two years.
    It's not the thought of a dual threat quarterback. It's the hope for some innovation. Which is absolutely what we need to go to the next level

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DesotoDog1967 View Post

Beating a dead horse here on multiple counts, but,

1) The designation of "dual threat" by recruiting sites has always been broad and nebulous. Their criteria can be as little as having enough mobility to escape the pocket depending on where, when, and by whom the prospect was first rated. If I remember right, one of the sites called Tyler Russell a dual threat. On top of that, Rivals barely rates higher than ESPN in terms of credibility at this point.

2) I guarantee you Leach has no rule against recruiting athletic, mobile QB's. But a player who's both a complete enough passer for Leach's bare minimum requirements and a good enough athlete to run the ball more than sparingly at the power 5 level is almost certainly one of the top 1-2 QB's and top 5-10 players period in that year's class, and Leach has never coached anywhere that can get in the game for that kind of prospect.

vCash
    The kid we just offered from Texas is mobile. Had almost 700 yards rushing this past year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post

1) The designation of "dual threat" by recruiting sites has always been broad and nebulous. Their criteria can be as little as having enough mobility to escape the pocket depending on where, when, and by whom the prospect was first rated. If I remember right, one of the sites called Tyler Russell a dual threat. On top of that, Rivals barely rates higher than ESPN in terms of credibility at this point.

2) I guarantee you Leach has no rule against recruiting athletic, mobile QB's. But a player who's both a complete enough passer for Leach's bare minimum requirements and a good enough athlete to run the ball more than sparingly at the power 5 level is almost certainly one of the top 1-2 QB's and top 5-10 players period in that year's class, and Leach has never coached anywhere that can get in the game for that kind of prospect.
    Good post

I think innovation right now is limited by q b arm strength ie) stretching the field and mobility at the position. Right now we are good at short passes but personnel limits what we are doing.

We don’t need Michael Vick but if you ever watched Minshew play he could throw the ball over the field and deep when necessary. He’s about a 4.7 guy but damn near impossible to sack because he head quick feet and can feel the pass rush.

Sawyer and Locke will give you more of that when they are ready.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DesotoDog1967 View Post

Minshew isn't really anymore athletic than Will. Minshew just was willing to take off more. I don't think Will's issue is mobility. I think Will has to improve on his pocket awareness & pocket manipulation. Also his anticipation needs to improve some. As he gets older & more comfortable you would hope/expect that to improve.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post

Good post. Leach gonna go get the best passer for his system and if he's got wheels too then that will be a bonus but not a prerequisite.

vCash
    Minshew isn't really anymore athletic than Will. Minshew just was willing to take off more. I don't think Will's issue is mobility. I think Will has to improve on his pocket awareness & pocket manipulation. Also his anticipation needs to improve some. As he gets older & more comfortable you would hope/expect that to improve.
    Could not agree more

vCash
    Exactly. And at some point, I hope he stops sliding 10 yards prior to contact (joking - it's only 5 yards).

vCash
    Lol

Go through Minshew scouting combine numbers and then tell me which one of those will can get within a mile of. This is not to mention throwing the ball downfield more than 40 yards in the air.

I’m guessing you’ve never seen Minshew play in college or the nfl.

Name a P5 q b will is more athletic than......just one

vCash
    I don't think it's fair to compare Will and Minshew. Minshew was a senior when Leach had him and Will was really a freshman. I've no doubt Will will have a much better pocket sense when he is a senior. Heck, he will be much more aware of his surroundings next year.

vCash
    X
    Last edited by WhiskeyPirate; 01-21-2022 at 08:29 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    I don't think it's fair to compare Will and Minshew. Minshew was a senior when Leach had him and Will was really a freshman. I've no doubt Will will have a much better pocket sense when he is a senior. Heck, he will be much more aware of his surroundings next year.
    They are very different players in that Minshew was 6-1 225 and physically strong, and Minshew ranked in the top five of all q bs in the vertical jump and broad jump at the nfl combine. Minshew was a matador at avoiding sacks, quick feet tough to sack. Minshew does not have a cannon but has an adequate arm to play in the nfl and can make all of the throws.

There are some good things Will does such as leadership, accuracy, and progressing through his reads. He and Minshew are not in the same ballpark as athletes.