Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Cohen's Hires

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Cohen is much more qualified to hire a coach than the cheerleader was. He will get input from the money guys and Keenum on the hire as well. It's not like he acts alone. The Cheerleader was told to hire Howland- he didnt lead a search and make the hire. It was set up for him.

Cann was a good hire. He was successful in his 1 year. Him going nuts over a co-worker couldnt have been predicted. Ask Petrino, Wimp Sanderson, and many other coaches across this great nation. Hell, Mullen was lucky his antics got cover.

JoMo seemed like a decent hire but the guy wasnt ready for the South. Some of that should have been picked during interviews up in my opinion. Jury still out on Leach but it was an outside the box hire. We will at least compete for bowls under Leach without the drama and lack of discipline of JoMo

If we dont make the Tourney- might want to watch for a retirement by Howland.
    To me, I don't think any of the Big 4 hires have been questionable. All have been hires who had all the credentials and credibility you look for -it's not like they were Rick Ray. I know from my own experience hiring can be the ultimate crap shoot - you really just don't know how someone is going to perform until they do or don't. Just look at how many big name college and pro coaches look all world at one place and like the second coming of Croom at the next. And don't give me the "good AD's know" speech. Mal Moore was one of the best and he hired Mike Price and Mike Shula. Mitch Barnhardt is considered one of the best - and he hired Joker Phillips. The key is knowing when things aren't working and taking measures to correct them.

From that perspective, I think Cohen has been very strong. He nipped the Cann thing in the bud when a lot of AD's would have waited until either the season was lost or wait the entire season. He fired the guy 3 games in, saving the season, named a great caretaker and then made the right hire for the long-term (instead of taking the easy route of just naming Hendo HC). He understood the negative impact Mullen's job hunts and the Country club recruiting was having and told him to shit or get off the pot - that's ballsy and was the right call for the health of the program. Firing JoMo was right for the health of the program. If rumors are accurate, he handled the Vic situation correctly, and made a hire that definitely checked all the boxes.

I'm not stating this as a "pro-Cohen" post - I think there are some legit criticisms on marketing, personnel levels, and some gameday operations issues that need to be addressed.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 01-20-2022 at 01:52 PM.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Seems like we have some "company men" on here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    You are missing a ton in the sports no one pays attention to:
    Dusty Smith - Men's Golf - 3 NCAA Appearances in 6 years - B
    Chris Woods - T&F - B - has kept us making NCAA appearances
    Charlie Ewing - Women' Golf - A - Made SEC Tourney Finals in first year
    James Armstrong - Soccer - A - got us in the SEC Tourney for the first time in 15 years
    Julie Darty - Volleyball - A++ - took us from the worst program on campus and in the SEC to #2 in the SEC last season and an NCAA appearance

Outside of Football and WBB - his hires have been pretty successful to date.
    But you can?t bring this up because it?s hurts the Fire Cohen mob.

vCash
    So are y'all ready to spill the beans in the Vic situation yet

vCash
    And the assistant with a player thing doesn't get him fired (or pushed out, or etc-however you want to play it)

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    I don't trust Cohen at all to hire a new men's basketball coach. If that time comes I'm hoping the big money guys can line a guy up like they did with Howland.

***whispers*** Matt McMahon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post

Am I missing any? Are my grades off? Is this a guy we want hiring any more coaches outside of baseball? This does not look like a good track record to me. How long is his leash?

think he also hired ...

Softball - A Made the tournament
    Volleyball - A Vast improvement
    Soccer - A- Vast improvement
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    And the assistant with a player thing doesn't get him fired (or pushed out, or etc-however you want to play it)
    If a coach is given the option of a) address it; or b) move on; and said coach moves on, then it's on the coach not the AD. The AD can't allow that type of situation in todays world. Period.

vCash
    So are y'all ready to spill the beans in the Vic situation yet
    Yea, one of his assistants that was related to him had a relationship with a certain player from a foreign country that rhymes with Fallstralia.

Also, had a parents mother who would yell at him throughout the game for not playing her enough.

vCash
    Sure it does when he refuses to fire the assistant when told to by the Administration.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Sure it does when he refuses to fire the assistant when told to by the Administration.
    This and I think most folks know why he didn't want to fire said asst.

vCash
    But I thought said assistant was an unpaid Grad Assistant that chose to stay at State to get a Masters rather then transfer to A&M as previously planned.

As far as ?alleged? behavior, mark these words, archive it and bring it back up in 3-5 years. At some point, an administration placing restrictions on same sex unpaid grad assistants and student athletes having relationships is going to face discrimination law suits from one or both parties if they lose a scholarship or get summarily dismissed due to a technicality that states said unpaid assistant is NOT a true Authority Figure. Not sure how much Authority Vic gave said ?grad assistant?.

I personally will always fall on the side of the right of the Administration to legally discriminate against such behavior as the line blurring can cause irreparable harm to an Institution.

Not sure where The Rabbi stands on this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    But I thought said assistant was an unpaid Grad Assistant that chose to stay at State to get a Masters rather then transfer to A&M as previously planned.

As far as ?alleged? behavior, mark these words, archive it and bring it back up in 3-5 years. At some point, an administration placing restrictions on same sex unpaid grad assistants and student athletes having relationships is going to face discrimination law suits from one or both parties if they lose a scholarship or get summarily dismissed due to a technicality that states said unpaid assistant is NOT a true Authority Figure. Not sure how much Authority Vic gave said ?grad assistant?.

I personally will always fall on the side of the right of the Administration to legally discriminate against such behavior as the line blurring can cause irreparable harm to an Institution.

Pretty sure wasnt a grad asst after 5 years in the program. Graduated in 2018 and was Honors student- this was 2020. Had a full fledged job it seems like
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post

Having a relationship with a player and a coach on the staff in any sport is a conflict of interest no matter the orientation of the two in the relationship.

No different than firing Cann for having a relationship with Lee Begley or whatever her name was/is.

vCash
    I think Cohen's hiring mistakes were mostly because of inexperience and listening to bad advice from previous MSU administrators that he confided in- LT and Stricklin.

He has gotten better with experience.

The truth is it was known that Cann had issues. Which is why his alma mater Tulane didn't hire him and went with an assistant from Vanderbilt. And I'm 99% sure he would have taken the Tulane job. Really should have been a red flag. Manieri knew of his issues as well and was basically using them completely to his advantage. Which is a big reason why he was so upset when Cann left. In hindsight given the timing we should have just let Henderson be the interim and then do a national search which is essentially what happened anyway. It wasted a year or maybe two and possibly delayed us getting a National Championship be a couple of years maybe.

We could have hired someone better than Moorhead had we put forth the effort. Unfortunately Cohen's heroes got in his ear about MSU only being able to hire sitting coordinators and that's what we got. Our history shows that's actually a risky way to go as we went one for three between Croom, Dan, and Joe. Our candidate pool was much better after we fired Moorhead. We got Leach. Judge may or may not have worked out in college- we may never know. And I'm about 99% sure we could have hired Chizik or Jeff Monken from Army who all had more head coaching experience than Joe had we gotten desperate.

vCash
    I'll add- Cohen's weakness isn't hiring and firing.

It's marketing and gameday experience. At least in sports that aren't baseball. Honestly if he improved those two areas he would be up there with Greg Byrne. Maybe even better since he is the only MSU AD ever to hire a coach that won a National Championship.

I do feel like we could and should be putting more into football and basketball than we are to be honest. Very little promotion for both. Heck- we even have a QB that's a potential Heisman contender. Have we heard a peep or even gotten a highlight video from MSU about Will? Unless I missed it- no.

vCash
    [QUOTE=BrunswickDawg;1405394]You are missing a ton in the sports no one pays attention to:
    James Armstrong - Soccer - A - got us in the SEC Tourney for the first time in 15 years
    Julie Darty - Volleyball - A++ - took us from the worst program on campus and in the SEC to #2 in the SEC last season and an NCAA appearance

Cohen's philosophy other than Leach has been to hire up and coming assistants from proven programs. That is especially true in the non revenue generating, or Olympic sports. Yeah, he screwed up the Moorhead hire and some could say that Lemonis fell in his lap after some proven head coaches told him "NO". But none the less he got the right guy in here. I think he can be criticized for his performance in lack of marketing and some lack of planning as it relates to Davis Wade game day more than anything. And some just don't like him due to his political bias which is their right.
    Last edited by speedy1972; 01-21-2022 at 12:07 PM.

vCash
    [QUOTE=speedy1972;1405570]
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    You are missing a ton in the sports no one pays attention to:

Cohen's philosophy other than Leach has been to hire up and coming assistants from proven programs. That is especially true in the non revenue generating, or Olympic sports. Yeah, he screwed up the Moorhead hire and some could say that Lemonis fell in his lap after some proven head coaches told him "NO". But none the less he got the right guy in here. I think he can be criticized for his performance in lack of marketing and some lack of planning as it relates to Davis Wade game day more than anything. And some just don't like him due to his political bias which is their right.
    I guess because I just hate both parties equally and the party system as a whole I don?t understand people being so upset over political issues when it comes to job performance. He just really turned me off with the Moorhead hire because I don?t care what the ?experts? say he did not have the background to be an SEC coach and I saw that disaster from day 1. On the other hand, I actually think he has made better choices outside Moorhead than Stricklin and like others said it seems his marketing strategies are lacking and out of date. Overall though he has won us our first NC as AD and he deserves that credit regardless of how the Lemonis hire went down. He ended up with an A+ hire. I never thought we would have a coach at state that I thought was as good as Vic but we do now with Lemonis. I am warming up to him but I do have strong concerns about what kind of hire he will make for basketball when the time comes.

vCash
    [QUOTE=PGHBulldogBG;1405576]
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy1972 View Post

I guess because I just hate both parties equally and the party system as a whole I don?t understand people being so upset over political issues when it comes to job performance. He just really turned me off with the Moorhead hire because I don?t care what the ?experts? say he did not have the background to be an SEC coach and I saw that disaster from day 1. On the other hand, I actually think he has made better choices outside Moorhead than Stricklin and like others said it seems his marketing strategies are lacking and out of date. Overall though he has won us our first NC as AD and he deserves that credit regardless of how the Lemonis hire went down. He ended up with an A+ hire. I never thought we would have a coach at state that I thought was as good as Vic but we do now with Lemonis. I am warming up to him but I do have strong concerns about what kind of hire he will make for basketball when the time comes.
    Yeah, I don't care about his political leanings one bit. Marketing, yeah, it's bad under him. Still, not necessarily what gets me ticking. The big 3, plus women's basketball (to a very minor extent) are what I pay attention to. I understand softball is pretty popular to other folks. But, for me, it's really the big 3. Baseball is in an awesome stretch, no doubt. But football and MBB just seem to be kind of wondering in the wilderness. Not terrible, but not that exciting. I have more hope for football than basketball at this point. I don't know, that's just me. WBB has really crashed back to earth, but Vic was lightning in a bottle.

I'll just enjoy baseball for the next 5 months, and let everything else sort itself out.