Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kam James to CF?

vCash

Kam James to CF?

Apparently Paul Jones reported that he is taking reps in CF. I think we (ED posters) were kicking this idea around during the Fall.

Lemonis really likes Slate Alford. This is definitely something to keep an eye on.

vCash
    He is one of the faster players and has shown a very strong arm. Looks like a promising plan. We need to equalize his bat at 3rd though. You can have a .280 hitting CF with 12-15 HRs. You cannot have a .250 hitting 3B with 4-6 HRs.

In the UP the middle slots where you usually choose defense over hitting, we have had several years of hitting and pretty good defense. If those 4 positions can hit for average with decent power, you always have a chance at a great season.
    Last edited by CaptainObvious; 01-18-2022 at 09:47 PM.

vCash
    I been saying it awhile- it's where he needs to be
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Cam filled in great at 3rd last year but his future is in the OF. He is a stud. Slate is a natural corner infielder with a lot of size and pop.

vCash
    That's where he's gonna be when he gets to professional ball so may as well give him a look

vCash
    Could the highly touted Columbus kid get a chance at 3rd? Tho I know he's a True fresh.

vCash
    Steve said this on the BY two weeks ago

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by klong-dog View Post
    Could the highly touted Columbus kid get a chance at 3rd? Tho I know he's a True fresh.
    Alford is ahead of downs. But downs is going to be good too

vCash
    Well, as of right now, I would take Slate's bat over Davis. And that makes us better defensively at 3B. I guess the question is the drop off from Davis to James defensively in CF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Well, as of right now, I would take Slate's bat over Davis. And that makes us better defensively at 3B. I guess the question is the drop off from Davis to James defensively in CF.
    If it's not a big drop off, I'm all for it. Then you could use Davis as a defensive replacement in late innings.

vCash
    Maybe gets Hines in the lineup too.

Alford
    James
    Hines
    Hancock
    Forsythe
    Tanner
    Cumbest
    Clark
    Yeager

Heck of a lineup. Hopefully lane can hit .250 this year in the 9 spot. On paper, that is as deep of a lineup we've had since 2016.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Apparently Paul Jones reported that he is taking reps in CF. I think we (ED posters) were kicking this idea around during the Fall.

Lemonis really likes Slate Alford. This is definitely something to keep an eye on.
    Seems like a long, fluid, natural athlete that can make that move. He really saved his best defense for Omaha. His diving catch against UVA was a great moment that helped spark the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Alford is ahead of downs. But downs is going to be good too
    If putting James in CF allows us to invest 200 ABs in big upside athletes like Alford, Downs, and Hines. That's nurturing the Dynasty. You need to do that.

Last year, Kellum Clark's freshman development got MSU a key power bat that was huge in Omaha. Key HRs vs UVA and Vandy.

vCash
    Interesting. Slater is going to be a really good player for us and is our third baseman of the future.

That said- the outfield takes an adjustment if you are Kam James. Especially if we put him in CF where he would have to be the lead outfielder on fly balls and has to be a good communicator. It's not as easy as a lot of people think- ask Chipper Jones. And Jones went from third base to left field. It can be done- I'm not saying it's impossible. But we may have some communication issues and some missed cut off men early in the year.

Lemonis will find a way to get our best lineup on the field. I have no doubts about that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Impossible to know for sure right now as we're just starting spring practice. We really won't know until the season starts and we see how it works against live competition. Slater is a freshman and Davis is a transfer- both are going to have to make adjustments during the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by klong-dog View Post
    I think he ends up in the outfield- probably right field if I had to guess with left field a possibility. Slater has established himself as the third baseman of the future here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Interesting. Slater is going to be a really good player for us and is our third baseman of the future.

That said- the outfield takes an adjustment if you are Kam James. Especially if we put him in CF where he would have to be the lead outfielder on fly balls and has to be a good communicator. It's not as easy as a lot of people think- ask Chipper Jones. And Jones went from third base to left field. It can be done- I'm not saying it's impossible. But we may have some communication issues and some missed cut off men early in the year.

Lemonis will find a way to get our best lineup on the field. I have no doubts about that.
    Your SS is your key infield communicator - and Kam has played that enough to know how to communicate in the OF. And having played travel ball, I guarantee he he has some OF experience not that long ago. Making a position switch at the MLB level is usually difficult because most players are locked in in the low minors and it had been years - over a decade or more in Chipper's case - since they played anything else. Kam will be fine.

vCash
    If the Freshman are ready, will we see Hunter Hines @ 1st. Slade Alford @ 3rd, and Hancock DH?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    He is one of the faster players and has shown a very strong arm. Looks like a promising plan. We need to equalize his bat at 3rd though. You can have a .280 hitting CF with 12-15 HRs. You cannot have a .250 hitting 3B with 4-6 HRs.

In the UP the middle slots where you usually choose defense over hitting, we have had several years of hitting and pretty good defense. If those 4 positions can hit for average with decent power, you always have a chance at a great season.
    If Kam works out in CF I'll take a solid defensive 3B that hits .280 with 12 dingers all day versus leaving him at 3rd and having guys like Davis and Skinner in CF hitting .250 with zero home runs.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Your SS is your key infield communicator - and Kam has played that enough to know how to communicate in the OF. And having played travel ball, I guarantee he he has some OF experience not that long ago. Making a position switch at the MLB level is usually difficult because most players are locked in in the low minors and it had been years - over a decade or more in Chipper's case - since they played anything else. Kam will be fine.
    Completely different reads on the ball in the outfield vs shortstop. Shortstop has to be able to communicate with second baseman on potential throws to second, among other things. It's completely different. Kam is capable of making a change but I'm just pointing out there may be some growing pains. See Luke Hancock last year when we switched him to first base during the Ole Miss series because Hatcher was struggling. He made a couple of key errors and mistakes and we had to go back to Hatcher for a little bit until Hancock was ready.

Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    If the Freshman are ready, will we see Hunter Hines @ 1st. Slade Alford @ 3rd, and Hancock DH?
    A lot of options. Could see Hines DH and Hancock at first. Could see Hines and Alford platoon at DH depending on how they perform. Could see us bring in Davis or Skinner as a defensive replacement late for Kam.

It's all dependent on how they perform. What will tell the tale is how well Alford and Davis hit. Same with Hines really. Just never know with freshmen and transfers how long it will take them to adjust.