Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the defending National Champion Baseball Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I think Tanner, James, and Hancock are obvious. Beyond that, we'll see who performs. I think Clark is a decent bet and then maybe Yeager if he can put up a good OBP.

I'd be good with:
    Hancock
    Yeager
    Tanner
    James
    Clark
    Don't know much about Yeager, is he a speedy guy? If not, that isn't much speed at the top, outside of maybe Kam.

I love seeing us with repeated depth at the plate, where guys like Cumbest aren't mentioned in the Top 5 in the lineup. That's a great thing, and starting to become the norm under Lemo. I'm excited to see these newcomers, bc we always have a few step up immediately, yet the incoming classes are becoming more and more talented, so it makes it tough to know who will be making up the starting 9

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I think he wants to be a starter at the next level, or at least show scouts he's capable, and Lemonis is going to give him that opportunity. That being said, I wonder what happens if he starts running out of gas in the 4th-5th, and we are having trouble closing out games....would they consider a mid-year move back to closer if some of the young arms are stepping up in the starter roles? Hopefully we won't need it, but it's probably a good thing to have that option if needed.
    Its fair to give him an opportunity if he wants it. He's earned that.

That being said, I don't see Landon being a successful starter. Part of Landons development will be how he handles that. Hopefully he can swallow pride and go back to being the #1 reliever/ closer in cbb. We'll see.

vCash
    Don't know much about Yeager, is he a speedy guy? If not, that isn't much speed at the top, outside of maybe Kam.
    He has some speed. But more than speed, I care about guys hitting and getting on at the top of the lineup.

I don't want Skinner OBPing at .300 leading off because he's fast.

vCash
    He has some speed. But more than speed, I care about guys hitting and getting on at the top of the lineup.

I don't want Skinner OBPing at .300 leading off because he's fast.
    Yeah I agree about Skinner. If we can get someone to give us hits and speed it'd be ideal. I just don't know enough about our new guys at 2B and CF to know if they can get into the top of the lineup. I guess we could potentially put an on base machine like Hancock at lead off, and Kam behind him, with LoTan and Clark behind him. Would be one of the most powerful 1-4's we've potentially ever had

vCash
    We absolutely need Hancock hitting in front of guys like Tanner and James. He just gets on base. The 47 BB and 17 K he put up last year is just absurd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calidawg View Post
    Why does landon have to be a starter? why can't he just develop into the best reliever/closer he could possibly be?
    Because the pros are not going to draft a guy in the 1st round if all he has ever done is close. Hell Kopps was the downright shut down all year and was a 3rd rounder. And Holder was without a doubt one of the best closers in college baseball for two years and he was 6th rounder. Our coaches are doing what is best for Landon.

vCash
    Sims needs to start for draft purposes. College relievers don’t usually go in the first round. I’ve said before that if we end up having a fourth capable starter and our closing situation is shaky, we might let Sims start during the regular season and then move him back to closer for the post season. A lot of things would have to shake out the right way but that might be an option. Maybe we get lucky and find someone who can do the job but I don’t see us finding anyone better than Sims.

Lemonis did say that we don’t really have a lead off type of hitter this year.

vCash
    I too am on the Hancock at leadoff train..

1. Hancock - 1B
    2. Kam James - 3B
    3. Kellum Clark - RF
    4. LoTan - C
    5. Yeager - 2B
    6. Hines - DH
    7. Cumbest - LF
    8. Forsythe - SS
    9. Davis - CF

I agree with Todd that the starting rotation is probably Sims, Fristoe, and Cade Smith, at least to start out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post

1. Hancock - 1B
    2. Kam James - 3B
    3. Kellum Clark - RF
    4. LoTan - C
    5. Yeager - 2B
    6. Hines - DH
    7. Cumbest - LF
    8. Forsythe - SS
    9. Davis - CF

I agree with Todd that the starting rotation is probably Sims, Fristoe, and Cade Smith, at least to start out.
    Not a bad lineup.

vCash
    We absolutely need Hancock hitting in front of guys like Tanner and James. He just gets on base. The 47 BB and 17 K he put up last year is just absurd.
    Boy agree on Hancock he just is so hard to get out. I'm not sure he shouldn't be leading off. Get in the pitchers head right off the bat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Sims needs to start for draft purposes. College relievers don’t usually go in the first round. I’ve said before that if we end up having a fourth capable starter and our closing situation is shaky, we might let Sims start during the regular season and then move him back to closer for the post season. A lot of things would have to shake out the right way but that might be an option. Maybe we get lucky and find someone who can do the job but I don’t see us finding anyone better than Sims.

Lemonis did say that we don’t really have a lead off type of hitter this year.
    Sims probably needs to be a starter to utilize his talent. However, as good as he is as a closer, I don't think it hurts him much to pitch his innings late or early. I do like the shift with Sims as the season goes on and other young pitchers grow. He need to grow some for the following year after Sims and company are gone.

vCash

1. Hancock - 1B
    2. Kam James - 3B
    3. Kellum Clark - RF
    4. LoTan - C
    5. Yeager - 2B
    6. Hines - DH
    7. Cumbest - LF
    8. Forsythe - SS
    9. Davis - CF

Tell us what we are getting in Yeager, Hines, and Davis. I have no clue which side they hit from, if they're big guys, speedy guys, power hitters, on base machines, defensive strengths, etc. Im probably not the only one that would love some insight on these guys from those like you that know what kind of players they are.

vCash
    Tell us what we are getting in Yeager, Hines, and Davis. I have no clue which side they hit from, if they're big guys, speedy guys, power hitters, on base machines, defensive strengths, etc. Im probably not the only one that would love some insight on these guys from those like you that know what kind of players they are.
    Yeager bats from the right side. He's 6'3, 200 lbs. He hit 13 HRs and 50 RBIs last year for Mercer. A career .291 hitter. From what I've read, he's a pretty good defender who can play SS, but with Forsythe there and a hole at 2B, that's where he'll be. The question will be how long it takes him to adjust to SEC pitching.

Hines has more natural pop than anyone on the team. Big time left handed bat. He had a good fall. He's a freshman so it might take him awhile, but he's got 12-15+ HR potential.

Jess Davis is a speedy LH bat. Doesn't have the best numbers at UAB, but he's an elite CF. Won the national gold glove award. He and Skinner will battle for CF. I think Davis wins because of his glove and the fact that he's a better hitter. I've got him in the 9 hole because he could serve as a second lead off guy for Hancock so he can work with men on base (which is where he's at his best). Oh, Davis also stole 48 bases his freshman year.

vCash
    Yeager bats from the right side. He's 6'3, 200 lbs. He hit 13 HRs and 50 RBIs last year for Mercer. A career .291 hitter. From what I've read, he's a pretty good defender who can play SS, but with Forsythe there and a hole at 2B, that's where he'll be. The question will be how long it takes him to adjust to SEC pitching.

Hines has more natural pop than anyone on the team. Big time left handed bat. He had a good fall. He's a freshman so it might take him awhile, but he's got 12-15+ HR potential.

Jess Davis is a speedy LH bat. Doesn't have the best numbers at UAB, but he's an elite CF. Won the national gold glove award. He and Skinner will battle for CF. I think Davis wins because of his glove and the fact that he's a better hitter. I've got him in the 9 hole because he could serve as a second lead off guy for Hancock so he can work with men on base (which is where he's at his best). Oh, Davis also stole 48 bases his freshman year.
    Thanks for the breakdown. High praise for Hines, bc this lineup should not lack pop. Yeager sounds like he's built a little like Jordan Westburg as a middle infielder. I like having some size and pop in your middle infield. Davis sounds like the dirtbag type of guy that State fans typically fall in love with. Good stuff.

vCash
    You never fully know in college baseball, but I think this team has a chance to be very, very good. I think we should expect to host a regional and should have a decent shot at a top 8 seed.

Davis/Skinner will leave us wanting some offensively, but we really need a stud defensive CF with a little less range in RF and LF, and they will give us that. Our IF defense should be excellent, and obviously Tanner is a beast behind the plate. Yeager should be able to fill Dubrule's shoes well.

Hancock, James, and Tanner have a chance, if they take yet another step forward, to be monsters this year offensively. Clark has a chance to be very good, Cumbest should be good, so even with TA and Rowdey gone, our offense should have plenty of pop and put up runs.

I think Yeager can at least be solid offensively; he put up better numbers in a tougher league than Dubrule. And if Davis and Forsythe are our weakest links with the bat, we'll be fine. We've got some freshmen with potential, too - I think Alford will have a clear role by the end of the year himself.

Pitching is a question mark, but we have tons of talented arms, so I trust we'll be able to find enough guys to be very good.
    Last edited by smootness; 01-17-2022 at 10:53 AM.

vCash
    On paper IMO State seems to be the most balanced team in the West. LSU, Ole Miss and Arkansas should have lethal lineups but all have questions needing to be answered on the mound.

Interested to see how it all shakes out.

vCash
    just so you guys know, our opening day lineup is most likely going to be:

1. Davis
    2. Kam James
    3. Luke
    4. Logan Tanner
    5. Kellum clark
    6. Yeager
    7. Hines
    8. Cumbest
    9. Forsythe

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    in reality i dont expect a repeat but going to the CWS should be our standard.
    Still a lot of luck in baseball, so hard to make CWS the standard. But I do feel like at this point anything less than a Super is a disappointment, Super is solid and meeting expectations, and it takes a CWS appearance to count as a good year (short of winning the SEC regular season title).

vCash
    Great post. I hate to say it, but we?ve had so much success lately that it feels like the bottom is falling out if we not only make it to Omaha, but also a deep run. I hope we can appreciate how great MSU baseball has become without becoming the Bammers of baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    Great post. I hate to say it, but we?ve had so much success lately that it feels like the bottom is falling out if we not only make it to Omaha, but also a deep run. I hope we can appreciate how great MSU baseball has become without becoming the Bammers of baseball.
    That's way to high of an expectation. Even the best programs are lucky to make it multiple times in a decade - and we've made it 4 times in 10 years - and would likely have 5 if not for 2020 being cancelled. Arguably our best team over the last decade -2016 - got bounced in the Supers. Making the CWS is tough.