Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Let's talk about the defending National Champion Baseball Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I do think Yeager is going to hit higher than 7th. But, your lineup is solid. Either way, having a guy that's going to hit double digit hr 7th is strong.
    and maybe he does. Like I said- I start there and see how he adjusts to SEC pitching. Last year we saw Debrule start out ok- then struggle early on in the SEC- then once he got adjusted hit pretty well in May and June. Yeager may follow the same path. Just have to see how it shakes out
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    We've been on an unreal run over the past 11 seasons - going back to 2011.
    '11 - 9 outs from Omaha when UF rallied
    '12 - 9 outs from a Super when Samford rallied
    '13 - CWS runner-up
    '14 - lose Regional Final at ULL
    '15 - bottom fell out with ball and bay change
    '16 - SEC Champs - lose Super to CW runner-up
    '17 - lose Super to CWS runner-up
    '18 - CWS #3 - lost to CWS winner
    '19 - CWS #5
    '20 - COVID
    '21 - CWS Winner

In 11 years that's 7 Regionals won, 4 Supers Won, 2 CWS Finals, 1 Natty. Gotta love it!
    We also won the SEC Tournament in 2012. We burned out our pitching and that may be why partially we didn't go to a SR that year though.

vCash
    Some things in general:

Landon will be fine as a starting pitcher I think. He is working on a third pitch- I think a changeup- but his stuff is so good I think he could mostly get by with what he has. IF he doesn't work out as a starter we'll simply move him back to closer. Either way is going to work out for us.

I like hitting Luke Hancock leadoff. Kind of off that he didn't hit over .300. He was probably unlucky more than anything if I had to guess and it just went unnoticed because he still got on base a lot and hit 10 home runs.

I'm not sure that Lemonis is going to just hit Davis leadoff to start although it's not out of the realm of possibility either. I do think there is a lot of risk there based on his track record as a hitter suggesting it probably won't work out. That said, if there is one thing in his favor offensively it's that he will be hitting in a much better lineup than he was in at UAB which in theory should help him out some no matter where he hits. Also, I believe he had some injuries at UAB and I'm not sure how much that affected him either. If I were in Lemonis's shoes I would hit Davis 9th like many others are suggesting and if he looks good then maybe you move him to leadoff and then Hancock to second.

Yeager is just a completely different player than Dubrule. Dubrule is more of a stereotypical college second baseman. Contact guy who can hit some doubles and plays good defense but range wise is limited to where he couldn't really play SS. Yeager is a poor man's version of Justin Foscue. He has more power than Dubrule but with less contact and I think defensively I think we're going to get similar or better production as we got from Dubrule based on the fact that Yeager was able to play SS at a mid major.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Some things in general:

Landon will be fine as a starting pitcher I think. He is working on a third pitch- I think a changeup- but his stuff is so good I think he could mostly get by with what he has. IF he doesn't work out as a starter we'll simply move him back to closer. Either way is going to work out for us.

I like hitting Luke Hancock leadoff. Kind of off that he didn't hit over .300. He was probably unlucky more than anything if I had to guess and it just went unnoticed because he still got on base a lot and hit 10 home runs.

I'm not sure that Lemonis is going to just hit Davis leadoff to start although it's not out of the realm of possibility either. I do think there is a lot of risk there based on his track record as a hitter suggesting it probably won't work out. That said, if there is one thing in his favor offensively it's that he will be hitting in a much better lineup than he was in at UAB which in theory should help him out some no matter where he hits. Also, I believe he had some injuries at UAB and I'm not sure how much that affected him either. If I were in Lemonis's shoes I would hit Davis 9th like many others are suggesting and if he looks good then maybe you move him to leadoff and then Hancock to second.

Yeager is just a completely different player than Dubrule. Dubrule is more of a stereotypical college second baseman. Contact guy who can hit some doubles and plays good defense but range wise is limited to where he couldn't really play SS. Yeager is a poor man's version of Justin Foscue. He has more power than Dubrule but with less contact and I think defensively I think we're going to get similar or better production as we got from Dubrule based on the fact that Yeager was able to play SS at a mid major.
    Hancock was great at getting on base and probably should have had a higher average based on his hitting, but still seems weird to have somebody at leadoff that can't put pressure on the defense once he gets on base. Guess his running doesn't matter that much if we're following him up with good hitters; having people on base period with good hitters puts pressure on I guess. But it'd be nice to have a guy with a good OBP that can run also at leadoff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Hancock was great at getting on base and probably should have had a higher average based on his hitting, but still seems weird to have somebody at leadoff that can't put pressure on the defense once he gets on base. Guess his running doesn't matter that much if we're following him up with good hitters; having people on base period with good hitters puts pressure on I guess. But it'd be nice to have a guy with a good OBP that can run also at leadoff.
    I agree, speed kills with the ability of stealing a base.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    It's not prototypical but Davis at 9 would give us a "second leadoff hitter" who can run. I do prefer to have someone that can run leading off like a Mangum, Robson, or a Rowdey but I also believe that you base what you do on what your players can do and we're better off with Hancock getting on, working the count and then going from there. From that standpoint Hancock is a protoypical leadoff hitter without the speed.