Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Genealogy? Any of you traced your family history?

vCash
    I've done mine some in the past. I stumbled upon familysearch.org recently and was amazed. I was able to trace a lot of my tree back to the early 300s and one side even before Jesus.

vCash
    Went back to the 1100's on both sets of grandparents to Scotland & Wells. Have coat of arms for both sides of family which made it easier.

vCash
    Wondering if anyone had this issue.... Found on Ancestry DNA that I have a good percentage of Norwegian, but nothing on maternal side was found in that direction so far, from talking to those on that side researching genealogy. My dads side seems to dead end with indentured servants a couple hundred years ago. So the assumption I make is that is the Norwegian Lineage. But yet to connect it.
    Anyone else using the DNA and discovering a nationality you did not know about?

vCash
    Been using family search for years. I've traced both sides back to before the third century. Norse ancestry(some of those Viking names I can't pronounce,lol). that migrated to France and England on dads side. Scott and Irish on moms side and also found out descended from Robert De Bruce. Stuff is fascinating

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    Have traced back on my Mom's side all the way back to the 1600's. Two of my great grandfathers signed The Declaration of Independence. On my Dad's side, it's been more difficult to track due to all of the Native American ancestors.
    Are you related to Elizabeth Warren?

vCash
    Related - any opinions on which is the best DNA site to use?

vCash
    Lol I hope not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I've been working one side and I'm down to the 1400s and have hit a dead end. Been pretty cool.
    Wow that is a pretty good trace. That is something I might get into when I retire and have a little more time.

I will say this, my mom has a close relative that did it and she says my mom's side of family is related to founder Patrick Henry. My grandmother was a Henry.

vCash
    Look, some of you guys shouldn't give your DNA to any of those services. Don't you know that's how they've managed to track down numerous criminals? There's some shady characters here so just sayin'.......
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Look, some of you guys shouldn't give your DNA to any of those services. Don't you know that's how they've managed to track down numerous criminals? There's some shady characters here so just sayin'.......
    Yep , never did that but have family books that I can look at

vCash
    I did a little family tree from what my family knew but never paid for a service. Then came familysearch.org. Once I entered my existing tree the site began to guide me through information that already existed.

(We already knew) my maternal grandmother is a direct descendent of Daniel Boone. So that takes us back to the 1400s or so, with a lot of sheriffs and Lords.

My maternal grandfather is Russian. His father worked for Czar Nicholas but was stationed in Japan at the Embassy. He sent his wife and young children to California. My grandfather is STRAIGHT OUT OF COMPTON high school, where a lot of immigrant fathers lived. We know some names of Russian descendants but not much information. The great grandfather never came to the States and we don't know if he died under suspicious circumstances or not, only that it was an accident.

My paternal grandmother is a Lamb descendant and there's quite a bit of English, German roots there.

My surname, Gault, has the least information about our descendants. A father and son brought their wives over in 1852 or so. They were in New York State awhile. The older wife died at some point. They came to Lamar County Alabama (where Adam and Eve themselves farmed) and bought land. Father remarried. Both fought in the Civil War for the South. There's a Civil War sword somewhere in the family but the wrong cousin got ahold of it. They also owned slaves on their farm. I don't know how I feel about that because they certainly weren't wealthy. I think just about all farmers had slaves working for them because I can find no trace of a giant mansion with acres of property that they managed. ANYHOO, when I try to go into Ireland to find more information it's a dead end. The older wife was English so maybe i need to go deeper there.

If you're a north Mississippi Gault we're not related. There's only a few of us Lamar County/Lowndes County Gaults around as far as I know.

vCash
    Yep. On my mom's side. Discovered my grand uncle (5x) was the one and only U.S. Grant. I tried to claim the Book of Secrets at the Grant Library on campus by birthright but was denied.

vCash
    Mississippi has a lot of Scot/Irish and native American ancestry

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Mississippi has a lot of Scot/Irish and native American ancestry
    Yep. Loved my trip to Longford County Ireland where my ancestry on my dads side come from. Visited the grave site of A Bishop buried in 1420's that shared my rare last name. Didn't realize my family name was just concentrated in one county and not spread throughout Ireland.

vCash
    If you ever get the chance, go to the Family Seach site in Salt Lake City. It's incredible and the folks there are super nice and very helpful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat91 View Post
    If you ever get the chance, go to the Family Seach site in Salt Lake City. It's incredible and the folks there are super nice and very helpful.
    A huge chunk of my info came from an affiliated group in Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat91 View Post
    This.

vCash
    It was done before I was born since the oldest male in each generation on my fathers side inherits a family coat of arms... my wife's side it much more interesting... she's a cousin to Reese Witherspoon and Ray Walker of the Jordanaires.... James K Polk signed our property deed when her family originally purchased... and her family was run out of Scotland when her ancestor Red Cummins fought and lost to Robert the Bruce... we have seen the old family castle (Uquart Castle) on the shore of Loch Ness ... and recently sold some of the property to Tennessee for Cummins Falls State Park.... not sure why she decided to slum it with me
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    You not kin to the Sullivan's too are you? Pappy Tom's youngest was my great-great grandpa. His fourth oldest is also my great-great-great grandpa.
    Looks like I've got a couple of uncles or cousins or both on here. My paternal grandmother was a Sullivan twice over: her mother was a Sullivan who also married a Sullivan. Thus, I'm afraid my family tree doesn't fork as often as it should.

I've been to a few funerals at Sardis Church near Mize. At the last one I went to about five years ago, the preacher (not a Sullivan) was about 30 years old. He told a story about his mother warning him as a child not to be caught in the Hollow after dark.

Went to a family reunion a few years ago and enjoyed seeing the long sheets of butcher paper listing the descendants from each of Pappy Tom's wives.

For those unfamiliar with the lore of Sullivan's Hollow, the family patriarch had 11 children with his wife. He had another 11 or so with his common law wife at the opposite end of the Hollow.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/miss...ans-hollow-ms/

vCash
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17