Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Genealogy? Any of you traced your family history?

vCash

Genealogy? Any of you traced your family history?

I've been working one side and I'm down to the 1400s and have hit a dead end. Been pretty cool.

Banned
    vCash
    When I did mine, all it said was "Assorted Crackers".

vCash
    My folk came here from Germany in the 1850's and a few survived the yankee barn burning and livestock killing in the civil war and then produced the rest of us.

vCash
    Yes, and confirmed I come from a line of moonshiners, adulterers, tavern keepers and a murderer. You can learn some crazy stuff and it can be fun and enlightening - especially if you happen to able to find real info about the lives your ancestors led.

My 4x great grandfather was one of the first white settlers in what is now Union County, Georgia. He was there before Cherokee Removal and the 1830s land lotteries that gave away their land. His cabin is still standing in Blairsville. One of his sons moved to Missouri after serving in the Mexican War. Before serving under Quantrill and riding with the James and Younger brothers in the CW, he bought a farm. That farm was literally next door to property my wife's grandparents bought in the 1970s after they moved to Missouri from Kansas. I found this out after we were married (I'm from GA, my wife is from MO and went to the W, we met in MS).
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 01-15-2022 at 08:56 AM.

vCash
    Yes, on my dad's side, started back in 1743, Scottish.

vCash
    Have traced back on my Mom's side all the way back to the 1600's. Two of my great grandfathers signed The Declaration of Independence. On my Dad's side, it's been more difficult to track due to all of the Native American ancestors.

vCash
    Have done a good bit on both sides but more on maternal side. Paternal side immigrated from Germany in mid nineteenth century so more difficult to trace. By the way, if you're going to "brag" on some of your relations you also need to own up to the horse traders and horse thieves as well.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    I got kinda obsessed with it for a while. Maternally, was fascinating. My great grandfather, who actually died the year I was born, actually killed his father. He apparently walked in the house one day and his mom was in the floor beaten up really bad. So he went out to the wood pile where his dad was and said “you will never touch her again” and then proceeded to axe him! And his grandfather came here from Germany stowed away on a boat which landed in Galveston. He lived to be 109 years old.
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Traced my paternal grandfather's side back to Ayton, Scotland in the 1500's. Found that my first ancestor from this side came to the new world in 1622. My paternal grandmother was a McLeod who traces back to the Isle of Skye and supposedly the McLeod's are of Nordic origin.

ETA: I started this search looking for Confederate veterans (Yes, if I were from the north I would have been looking for Union veterans) and found several dozen. I then kept digging further back to find any Revolutionary War soldiers. So far I have found a grandfather who was a Colonel in the Georgia Militia and whose brother-in-law was a signer of the U.S. Constitution for the state of Georgia. My grandfather with my surname is listed in the database as a Patriot. He was too old to fight but is listed as a patriot because he "furnished a horse and wagon to the war effort in Lancaster County, VA". My surname grandfather from the next generation was too young to fight but his older brother was in the 3rd Continental Dragoons under George Washington's cousin, William Washington, and fought at the Cowpens and Guilford Courthouse. I am currently putting together all of my documentation to join the Sons of the American Revolution. https://www.sar.org/

I think some of my relatives from my mother's side wore red during the rev war. Her side is almost exclusively English where my father's is Scottish and Irish.
    Last edited by Mjoelner34; 01-15-2022 at 06:14 PM.

vCash
    Great-Great Grandmother came over on a boat from Sicily in the 1800's and landed in Nola. Mom's side is German/Sicilian mutts

Dad was adopted so tracing that is much tougher
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Shit no!!! Don't want pawpaw to go to prison for all those Sullivan Hollow crimes!!

vCash
    Ulster Scot. Probably came over in the first great migration in the 1700s under James I. More than likely lowland scots from the SW of Scotland. Those were the majority of Scots that made up the Ulster population. As far back as we could go was 1800 in the states but know we had relatives here before that. I’m sure like most, landed in Pennsylvania, moved south into the Carolinas. Went west after the revolution. Ended up in Marshall county and then the delta after fighting against the Yankees.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Shit no!!! Don't want pawpaw to go to prison for all those Sullivan Hollow crimes!!
    You not kin to the Sullivan's too are you? Pappy Tom's youngest was my great-great grandpa. His fourth oldest is also my great-great-great grandpa.

vCash
    To this point I've found a Scottish Lord in the 1400s, the wife of U.S. Grant, and a famous agriculturist who fought for the south at Ft. Sumpter. It's been pretty cool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    You not kin to the Sullivan's too are you? Pappy Tom's youngest was my great-great grandpa. His fourth oldest is also my great-great-great grandpa.
    Did you spend your summers at Eagle River?**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    I sure am. My grandfather on mothers side is a direct descendant of Wild Bill Sullivan. Wild Bill's great grandson.

I have a ring shaped mark across my nose from drinking moonshine from a mason jar. Thing is, I don't think I've ever drank anything out of a jar and I certainly don't drink moonshine. My mother has it too.
    Last edited by DownwardDawg; 01-15-2022 at 01:15 PM.

vCash
    I?m a descendant of Marquis de Lafayette on my moms side. My great grandfather on my dads side was killed in a dispute with a baseball bat and another of my ancestors was killed by a mad dad after his daughter was ?ruined? by said ancestor.
    Last edited by Leeshouldveflanked; 01-15-2022 at 01:03 PM.

vCash
    Traced about 11,000 ancestors so far. Tons of fascinating stories and tall tales, from four ancestors on the Mayflower to how history books were re-written after the civil war, removing southern contributions to American History leading up to the Revolutionary War. Look up Captain Benjamin Merrill of the Rowan County, North Carolina Regulators.

vCash
    On my dads side , one of my great grandfathers came from Lancashire, England in 1676 to America

On my moms side , one of my grand grandfathers came to North Carolina from France in 1817 when he was 5 years old , his father probably was a veteran in the French army during the napolean of wars but can?t find anything about it

vCash
    I have gone back as far as Noah, but getting some good leads toward connecting to Adam.