Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Genealogy? Any of you traced your family history?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeCannotGo View Post
    Looks like I've got a couple of uncles or cousins or both on here. My paternal grandmother was a Sullivan twice over: her mother was a Sullivan who also married a Sullivan. Thus, I'm afraid my family tree doesn't fork as often as it should.

I've been to a few funerals at Sardis Church near Mize. At the last one I went to about five years ago, the preacher (not a Sullivan) was about 30 years old. He told a story about his mother warning him as a child not to be caught in the Hollow after dark.

Went to a family reunion a few years ago and enjoyed seeing the long sheets of butcher paper listing the descendants from each of Pappy Tom's wives.

For those unfamiliar with the lore of Sullivan's Hollow, the family patriarch had 11 children with his wife. He had another 11 or so with his common law wife at the opposite end of the Hollow.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/miss...ans-hollow-ms/
    Isn't it Sullivan's Holler lol? Was told the stories about it when I was just a youngun years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Isn't it Sullivan's Holler lol? Was told the stories about it when I was just a youngun years ago.
    22 kids, somebody was doing some hollering at each end of the hollow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    22 kids, somebody was doing some hollering at each end of the hollow.
    Got that right.

Actually have a lot of friends from mize and that area.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    I sure am. My grandfather on mothers side is a direct descendant of Wild Bill Sullivan. Wild Bill's great grandson.

I have a ring shaped mark across my nose from drinking moonshine from a mason jar. Thing is, I don't think I've ever drank anything out of a jar and I certainly don't drink moonshine. My mother has it too.
    My grandma told me when my dad was 4 or 5 and acting up, all she had to do was look out the window and say "There comes Wild Bill" and he would run hide under the bed.

vCash
    I've traced my dad's side back to the 1500's (Scotch-Irish) and my mom's back to Charlemagne. Lots of doctors, judges, landed gentry and old, old royalty. Pretty cool, but wondering where all that 'generational wealth' went...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpile View Post
    I've traced my dad's side back to the 1500's (Scotch-Irish) and my mom's back to Charlemagne.
    Now that's damn cool!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    Now that's damn cool!
    I know, right? However, I've read that statistically speaking it isn't that uncommon, like the 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon. Had an ancestor on her side sign the Declaration too.

vCash
    Back in the 70's and 80's the Mormon church went into every county in the United States and recorded everyone who ever lived there, where they moved from and who was born there. They have done it in Central and South America. They have done it in Europe. One day they will have all the former Soviet Union. Some country's they will never be able to do. They also offered DNA test for every member to see where thier families came from. The church did all the hard labor and now everyone can use it. Each church has a genealogy center available to it's members. They do allow non-members to use it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    My grandma told me when my dad was 4 or 5 and acting up, all she had to do was look out the window and say "There comes Wild Bill" and he would run hide under the bed.
    Yep!! He was wild and crazy!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Lol. That's about right!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Roll Tide.**

vCash
    I haven?t ever traced my ancestry back further than when my ancestors originally came to the MS gulf coast. Descendant of two brothers that settled the Ms gulf coast. I have a book that was published by the Ms gulf coast genealogical society and written by Nap Casbry(sp).

Pretty interesting story: One of my ancestors lived on what is now Cat Island off the Ms Coast. He lived a very meager existence. One morning he awoke and looked out and there was parked the most potent navy of that time, the British Navy! They were staging for the battle of New Orleans. They captured my ancestor and tried to get him to be a guide to New Orleans or show them a short cut to New Orleans via the Bay of St. Louis. After convincing the British that he didn?t know of such route and his route to the mainland took him to Gulfport/Biloxi. The British released him and replaced some of the livestock that they had taken.