Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT: My Mom is losing her memory and I need advice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Yep. Means testing is a major issue with all welfare systems, but dammit if a large portion of our country just cannot stand someone getting something for free when it isn't them or their family. youtube channel 2 cents just had a video on means testing and the welfare system keeping people poor. Almost impossible to break out of the cycle, because at a certain limit that isn't a comfortable living, a person losses so much assistance it is prohibitive for them to grow.
    That's not really a problem with means testing. It's a problem of us spreading out welfare over dozens of programs and administering them separately. You are going to have pretty high imputed tax rates (>50%) if you phase out benefits over a reasonable income range, but we could easily avoid them approaching 100% if we had central administration for all our welfare benefits and designed them to make sense together.

vCash
    Sometimes I think Dr. Kevorkian wasn?t the monster every one made him out to be. Nothing worse than going to some of these nursing homes and seeing people in the shape they are in. He just got to the point where he enjoyed his work a little too much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Sometimes I think Dr. Kevorkian wasn?t the monster every one made him out to be. Nothing worse than going to some of these nursing homes and seeing people in the shape they are in. He just got to the point where he enjoyed his work a little too much.
    Agree with you, but man, it would be hard to make that decision facing a terminal illness. I don't know if I could do it. Life is precious even though it's temporary.

vCash
    Assisted suicide is common in some European countries, including Switzerland. I believe there's too much money in keeping old people alive for it to gain much traction here.
    Last edited by viverlibre; 01-14-2022 at 08:54 PM.

vCash
    This sucks in general. The healthcare system in this country is so broken from top to bottom. Commercial coverage is designed with a mindset to maximize profits for the executives. They don't give two shits about actual health care of the policy owner. Then once you're 65 you get thrown to the wolves with Medicare (if you're lucky), which doesn't cover 90% of shit people over 65 actually need.

vCash
    I will just say there is a huge difference between assisted living facilities and long term care/nursing facilities.

Medicare only pays up to 90 days of care at a facility after that it’s private pay, LTC insurance, or Medicaid. Some facilities will not accept Medicaid.

If you decide on a facility, look for one with memory care.