Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Georgia bball game tonight

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDawgB View Post
    Iverson played last night.
    I think Molinar is our best too; but when I see teams score with ease in the paint without tolu, I think maybe it's closer than I thought

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reunion Dog View Post
    Howland had a hell of a true freshman or guard from Georgia and he ran his ass off. Starts for GA Tech now.

Ran his ass off.

This team is soft and has no leadership. Moore would be riding the bench for me. He sucks. Brooks is soft. Doesn?t want to bang down low. Garcia tries? but he is 2 steps slow. Jeffries isn?t even one of our top 6 players. He is slow and doesn?t hustle unless he thinks he can dunk.

Mathews hustles more than anyone else on this team. But he ain?t SEC material. And #1?. Where has THAT effort been all season long? He will never make it in the NBA. PERIOD?

The only thing positive about tonight? is we do know there is a worse team in the SEC? but they lead us at halftime.

We have been sold a bill of goods about how this team had such GREAT Chemistry and we had such unbelievable talent. 🐂💩

I wish we would show as much emotion DURING a game as much as they do AFTER a games when they r in the locker room yelling at each other in a damn circle jerk.

That while coaching staff can?t get out Starkville fast enough.
    $2.5M for this crap.

The male cheerleader from Jackson Prep is STILL 17ing us.
    Deivon Smith isn't doing much at Georgia Tech, I'd take Shakeel Moore over him.

I agree about Brooks he should be a double double every night, living here in NC I watched alot of his games and wished we had him when he played for UNC but I'm not seeing that same guy.

Same goes for Jeffries, he was highly rated coming out of high school, he should be the x factor for us but he just isn't consistent.

I disagree about Matthews he is definetly SEC material, he is really athletic and plays really good defense, every team needs a guy like him.

We do need Tolu Smith, he and Molinar are our best two players, this chemistry thing that was talked about all off season just hasn't happened yet but those two are consistent. I've taken up for Howland for years but I'm starting to feel different about him, this is his best team on paper since he has been at State and we just don't look very good, I'm glad we beat GA but they were 5-10 coming in, we were supposed to beat them. I hate to say it but I have lost alot of confidence in this team and the coaching staff

vCash
    We won the game by 16 without one of our best players. Georgia came in with a bad record, but their game at Kentucky was basically a mirror of ours... Georgia down 4 at half, and Kentucky pulled away in 2nd half to win by 15 (92-77). Georgia. aTm hit a 3 with 1 second left to win by 2 at Georgia.

OM game was horrible, but I still think some of it was flukish (murrell). Not sure what else you guys want more than last night's solid win. We have a shot at a Q1 win Saturday, so maybe we should do our part to help instead of trashing this team all the time

And while we have a good team, we're far from great. LSU, auburn, and maybe Kentucky will run thru the sec, but the rest will have difficult games and yo yo for the most part. This is one heck of a conference now
    Last edited by msstate7; 01-13-2022 at 09:59 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    We won the game by 16 without one of our best players. Georgia came in with a bad record, but their game at Kentucky was basically a mirror of ours... Georgia down 4 at half, and Kentucky pulled away in 2nd half to win by 15 (92-77). Georgia. aTm hit a 3 with 1 second left to win by 2 at Georgia.

OM game was horrible, but I still think some of it was flukish (murrell). Not sure what else you guys want more than last night's solid win. We have a shot at a Q1 win Saturday, so maybe we should do our part to help instead of trashing this team all the time

And while we have a good team, we're far from great. LSU, auburn, and maybe Kentucky will run thru the sec, but the rest will have difficult games and yo yo for the most part. This is one heck of a conference now
    Bottom line is getting wins. We need to win Saturday. At Home, Bama doesnt defend very well. Really a must-win for us and Tourney hopes. Come out and support this team. Need this game
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    Deivon Smith isn't doing much at Georgia Tech, I'd take Shakeel Moore over him.

I agree about Brooks he should be a double double every night, living here in NC I watched alot of his games and wished we had him when he played for UNC but I'm not seeing that same guy.

Same goes for Jeffries, he was highly rated coming out of high school, he should be the x factor for us but he just isn't consistent.

I disagree about Matthews he is definetly SEC material, he is really athletic and plays really good defense, every team needs a guy like him.

We do need Tolu Smith, he and Molinar are our best two players, this chemistry thing that was talked about all off season just hasn't happened yet but those two are consistent. I've taken up for Howland for years but I'm starting to feel different about him, this is his best team on paper since he has been at State and we just don't look very good, I'm glad we beat GA but they were 5-10 coming in, we were supposed to beat them. I hate to say it but I have lost alot of confidence in this team and the coaching staff
    I agree with all this - good post.
    Moore is our best transfer.
    Brooks and DJ have under performed.
    Matthews is an work pal guy, every team needs one.
    Tolu out really hurting us.
    This year is put up or shut up in my opinion on Howland's coaching abilities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    I didn't expect a ton from DJ, having watched him with Memphis the past few years and thinking he was being somewhat overrated by our people coming in, but I'm pretty disappointed with Brooks thus far. He wasn't All-ACC in 2020 for nothing, and despite the step back last year it seemed more likely than not he'd find that mojo again with only one more season to play for draft stock.

vCash
    Some of you guys are forgetting the Rick Ray era. I?m excited we got an SEC win and have a great chance to make the tournament this year

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    I didn't expect a ton from DJ, having watched him with Memphis the past few years and thinking he was being somewhat overrated by our people coming in, but I'm pretty disappointed with Brooks thus far. He wasn't All-ACC in 2020 for nothing, and despite the step back last year it seemed more likely than not he'd find that mojo again with only one more season to play for draft stock.
    What grade would yall give Howland's Player Development?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    I agree with all this - good post.
    Moore is our best transfer.
    Matthews is an work pal guy, every team needs one.
    Tolu out really hurting us.
    This year is put up or shut up in my opinion on Howland's coaching abilities.
    Agreed, if Howland can't at least get this team to the tournament and possibly win a game or two it's probably time for change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Renardo Sidney View Post
    Some of you guys are forgetting the Rick Ray era. I?m excited we got an SEC win and have a great chance to make the tournament this year
    We have been to the NCAA tournament one time under Howland and lost against Liberty. Howland has been at MSU since 2015.... Its 2022.. Yes Rick Ray was horrible but Howland hasn't lit the world on fire at State either. His resume is what keeps him relevant, let's face it he has put alot of players in the NBA to include Perry, Woodard and Q. Weatherspoon who have all played in NBA games this year. I actually like him, I just don't like the fact that he can't win regularly anymore.

I like the name by the way... I wonder what Sidney is up to now a days

vCash
    Agreed, if Howland can't at least get this team to the tournament and possibly win a game or two it's probably time for change.
    So if we make the tourney and lose 1st round, you'd fire him?

I'm reserving judgement on this team till we at least see tolu play 3 games in a row.

vCash
    So if we make the tourney and lose 1st round, you'd fire him?

I'm reserving judgement on this team till we at least see tolu play 3 games in a row.
    Ive never liked calling for coaches jobs, even if its obvious they need to be fired.. I said possibly time for change which can mean changing coaching styles, hiring some new up and coming assistants with fresh ideas etc... bottom line is Howland just hasn't been all that good. He has been a great recruiter I'll give him that... but 1 tournament appearance in almost 7 years is pretty bad. I'd love for him to change my mind back because I used to defend him all the time.... but I can't defend underachieving with this type talent

vCash
    Ive never liked calling for coaches jobs, even if its obvious they need to be fired.. I said possibly time for change which can mean changing coaching styles, hiring some new up and coming assistants with fresh ideas etc... bottom line is Howland just hasn't been all that good. He has been a great recruiter I'll give him that... but 1 tournament appearance in almost 7 years is pretty bad. I'd love for him to change my mind back because I used to defend him all the time.... but I can't defend underachieving with this type talent
    As of today, he's in if you trust lunardi. I won't hold the first 3 years against him... hell, it took a monster of a coach (Pearl) 4 years to get auburn in. It also took howland 4 years to get us in. Year 5, the tourney was canceled, so who knows if he'd have made it or not. Year 6 was retooling, and we did better than we were projected. So, I think he's made it 1 out of the 2 judgeable years since 1 was canceled. Now, he needs to make it this year.

I do think he's underachieved in relation to the talent he's had, but you have to ask yourself who else could get these players here. If you get better coaching, but less talent, have you accomplished anything?

Our best outcome is howland make the tourney this year and next, and then retire. Our job is much more attractive for the next hire esp considering the hump will be renovated.

ETA... in the judgeable years (last 4), we're 77-53 (30-26). I think most people outside of miss st circles see this as pretty solid
    Last edited by msstate7; 01-13-2022 at 09:13 PM.

vCash
    Howland has no excuse to not make the Tourney. I dont care if Tolu plays or not. I'm behind him altho I cant stand that we dont mix up anything on D. That sagging ass M2M D 24/7 with no trapping or pressing is so 1990's. It makes me wonder wtf we do at practice day after day.

This team should make the Tourney. That would make 2 times in 6 seasons and could have been 3 times in 7 seasons depending how 2020 panned out. We were looking good down the stretch that year. That would make the last 5 seasons:

NIT Semis
    NCAA
    2020 what could have been
    NIT Finals
    NCAA

That means our program is where it needs to be

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Howland has no excuse to not make the Tourney. I dont care if Tolu plays or not. I'm behind him altho I cant stand that we dont mix up anything on D. That sagging ass M2M D 24/7 with no trapping or pressing is so 1990's. It makes me wonder wtf we do at practice day after day.

This team should make the Tourney. That would make 2 times in 6 seasons and could have been 3 times in 7 seasons depending how 2020 panned out. We were looking good down the stretch that year. That would make the last 5 seasons:

NIT Semis
    NCAA
    2020 what could have been
    NIT Finals
    NCAA

That means our program is where it needs to be
    I agree. I don't see how we can realistically be unhappy with the program if we make it this year

vCash
    Glad we won last night but we still haven't proven anything. We've lost to every team with a pulse we have played so far this season. And we've lost to Ole Miss who doesn't have a pulse. I've tried really hard to stay on the Howland bandwagon but I've finally fallen off. He got several good transfers in but failed in his biggest recruiting job when he lost DJ Stewart who wasnt even in line to get drafted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    but failed in his biggest recruiting job when he lost DJ Stewart who wasnt even in line to get drafted.
    DJ Stewart would rather play in NBA minors or make 100K overseas than play for Miss State. You cant blame Howland for that. Thats ridiculous

vCash
    As of today, he's in if you trust lunardi. I won't hold the first 3 years against him... hell, it took a monster of a coach (Pearl) 4 years to get auburn in. It also took howland 4 years to get us in. Year 5, the tourney was canceled, so who knows if he'd have made it or not. Year 6 was retooling, and we did better than we were projected. So, I think he's made it 1 out of the 2 judgeable years since 1 was canceled. Now, he needs to make it this year.

I do think he's underachieved in relation to the talent he's had, but you have to ask yourself who else could get these players here. If you get better coaching, but less talent, have you accomplished anything?

Our best outcome is howland make the tourney this year and next, and then retire. Our job is much more attractive for the next hire esp considering the hump will be renovated.

ETA... in the judgeable years (last 4), we're 77-53 (30-26). I think most people outside of miss st circles see this as pretty solid
    Good points, and your right he has brought alot of talent to Starkville, good recruiting typically outweighs good coaching in basketball. That's why it's so hard for me to understand why we aren't better every year. Look at our roster over the past few years, it's full of 4 star guys and even some 5 star players to include a couple McDonald's AA's in Newman and Perry, but it never panned out

vCash
    I agree. I don't see how we can realistically be unhappy with the program if we make it this year
    If Bucky is wills dad, you are howland jr. Our basketball offense is more boring and vanilla than our football offense....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Our basketball offense is more boring and vanilla than our football offense....
    There's nothing wrong with our offense. It's pretty typical by college standards. It's fair to argue that we don't do much to adjust when we start to struggle against particular defensive looks or get in a cold shooting spell, but even then we're in the top 20% in points per game in D1, so it's not like we're struggling to score enough night in and night out.