Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sylvester Croom

vCash
    Is this for his playing career?!

vCash
    [QUOTE=BeardoMSU;1403086]

^^^^^^This guy does, though, lol...

Yeah the guy that has won a National Title as a player, a 20 year coaching vet in the NFL, an SEC head coach, SEC COY, Works for the Senior Bowl. Yeah,He doesn't know much about coaching** What have you done in your coaching career?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fader21 View Post
    Happy for Coach Croom. He is being inducted as a player I believe. Even though he wasn't a good HC, he was still a good player and good football coach.
    And a great man. Congrats Sly!

vCash
    A great man, terrible college coach!

vCash
    I will say this- if I had to hire a running backs coach I would hire Sylvester Croom.

As a head coach- not so much. He has coached some pretty impressive running backs like Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, and Derrick Henry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    No.
    ahem....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    And he had zero business being a HC in the SEC....and his record and attitude (both during and after) support that statement.

But of course we hired him and let him torpedo our already sinking ship.
    yep ... he was a baby sitter while we were on probation ... Much like Matt Luke was
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Sure you do. Exhibit A - Croom.
    Downvotes_Hype

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    You don't make it to the NFL, NFL OC, Head Coach in the SEC without being a good football coach.
    You can't be serious right ?

First of all, plenty of terrible coaches make it to the NFL. He sucked as an OC even with the greatest running back in history in his backfield. He won SEC coach of the year as a gimmick. We went 7-5 the year he won it. By the same standard Leach should be Coach of the Year this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    You can't be serious right ?

First of all, plenty of terrible coaches make it to the NFL. He sucked as an OC even with the greatest running back in history in his backfield. He won SEC coach of the year as a gimmick. We went 7-5 the year he won it. By the same standard Leach should be Coach of the Year this year.
    Barry Sanders was the whole offense. Everyone knows that Offensive Line was horrible. Starting quarterbacks were Scott Mitchell, Charlie Batch, and Gus Ferotte. A lot of no name receivers too. Wasn't really dealt a great offensive team, when everyone knew that Barry Sanders was getting the ball.

Also terrible football coaches can make it to the NFL, but they don't stay around for 20 + years
    Last edited by Fader21; 01-11-2022 at 09:18 AM.

vCash

Also terrible football coaches can make it to the NFL, but they don't stay around for 20 + years
    They absolutely do.

Some of our fans undying love for Croom is amazing to me. I know some of his former players. They all like him and still communicate with him some and say he's a good guy, but from a football perspective we were awful.

Home losses to Maine, A Katrina ravaged Tulane, etc. Just getting embarrassed in the SEC year after year.

2007 was a complete fluke (And it still wasn't even that good of a season) . Lucky defensive TDs turned the season from probable 4-8 to 7-5

vCash
    So using this logic with Croom, the State luck out by not getting Joe Judge? He is not burning it up with the Giants

vCash
    Some of our fans undying hate for Croom is unfathomable. I have never said he was a good HC. He wasn't, but I am not going to have hatred for the guy. He didn't workout here. We got a Liberty Bowl win under him. He is a great guy, who I have had a few conversations with outside of MSU football areas. I am happy that he is getting the distinction of being inducted into the College Football HOF. It is well deserved, (people at MSU think just because he wasn't a good HC means he shouldn't be) He is getting inducted because of his playing days. I don't understand why some hate him so much they can't be happy for the guy.

I guess I don't hate that many people because they didn't win many games here. I don't hate Joe Moorhead, and I hope he has a successful career.

vCash
    all you need to Know is after losing to Maine--the Slytanic said --Maine had the better team,, really, should have been fired on the spot.

vCash
    And he had zero business being a HC in the SEC....and his record and attitude (both during and after) support that statement.

But of course we hired him and let him torpedo our already sinking ship.
    Yeah at least Rick Ray acknowledged he sucked it up

vCash
    Some of our fans undying hate for Croom is unfathomable. I have never said he was a good HC. He wasn't, but I am not going to have hatred for the guy. He didn't workout here. We got a Liberty Bowl win under him. He is a great guy, who I have had a few conversations with outside of MSU football areas. I am happy that he is getting the distinction of being inducted into the College Football HOF. It is well deserved, (people at MSU think just because he wasn't a good HC means he shouldn't be) He is getting inducted because of his playing days. I don't understand why some hate him so much they can't be happy for the guy.

I guess I don't hate that many people because they didn't win many games here. I don't hate Joe Moorhead, and I hope he has a successful career.

No undying hate here. I have no ill wishes towards the man, but don't come in here and say he was a good football coach. He was the worst in my lifetime.

Go back and look at some of our box scores from 2004-2008. They are truly horrific.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    No undying hate here. I have no ill wishes towards the man, but don't come in here and say he was a good football coach. He was the worst in my lifetime.

Go back and look at some of our box scores from 2004-2008. They are truly horrific.
    3-2 Auburn

vCash
    Croom was in way over his head as a head coach. I really don't blame him. I blame Templeton. Other coaches with way more experience wanted the job but Templeton made the hire to appease the NCAA so they'd be more lenient on our impending penalties.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Croom was in way over his head as a head coach. I really don't blame him. I blame Templeton. Other coaches with way more experience wanted the job but Templeton made the hire to appease the NCAA so they'd be more lenient on our impending penalties.
    perfectly put
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Do good coaches say:

"I dont care if we only make 6 inches- we are gonna get foot to foot and go right at them" (Nick Saban led LSU defense)
    "Maine had more talent than we did"
    "I will lose my job before switching to the Spread offense"- and did in fact lose said job when told to switch to Spread or else

Do good coaches continue to run the same offense 5 years in a row that doesnt work?

Templeton....

wanted to hire Bobby Wallace over Jackie Sherrill but thank goodness Dr. Z stepped in and made the call.
    wanted to hire Dwayne Reboul over Stands but was talked out of it
    hired Croom over Jimbo Fisher.
    was going to promote Raffo before he was removed as AD but Fogelsong acted first
    was part of the braintrust that hired Rockey Felker over a guy named Steve Spurrier
    sold a home game vs Florida for one million dollars (insert Dr Evil here)
    Last edited by Coach34; 01-11-2022 at 01:05 PM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is