Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NET #45

Banned
    vCash
    Quasar's Chart Proves Stans > Howland.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I still think our best case is us stay the course with howland. Hopefully he gets us in the tourney a couple years in a row, and then he retires. Our opening would be much more attractive that way than firing a coach that's winning
    this is 100% correct

vCash
    Some of you guys attitude shows why we will continue to suck at basketball. I remember, even with some of those inconsistent Stan's teams, the house was packed and it was a good product. I remember when womens basketball here was a joke. We hire a guy that knows how to put a good product on the floor and what do you get - full houses and fan support. And it was like that before the title runs. If I would have told you guys 20 years ago that our girls team would come closer to winning a title than our baseball team before 2020 you would have accused me of drinking magic coffee. Get out of here with this we will never be anything bull crap. At this point, it ain't about talent, making the tournament, etc. We need to hire someone to get fans excited about our basketball program again. Heck, the girls team may already have done that. We got nothing to lose at this point. What do we lose if we fire Howland and the next guy doesn't work out? Tell me? Because we are out the bottom of the barrel in terms of support and excitement around this team long-term.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Some of you guys attitude shows why we will continue to suck at basketball. I remember, even with some of those inconsistent Stan's teams, the house was packed and it was a good product. I remember when womens basketball here was a joke. We hire a guy that knows how to put a good product on the floor and what do you get - full houses and fan support. And it was like that before the title runs. If I would have told you guys 20 years ago that our girls team would come closer to winning a title than our baseball team before 2020 you would have accused me of drinking magic coffee. Get out of here with this we will never be anything bull crap. At this point, it ain't about talent, making the tournament, etc. We need to hire someone to get fans excited about our basketball program again. Heck, the girls team may already have done that. We got nothing to lose at this point. What do we lose if we fire Howland and the next guy doesn't work out? Tell me? Because we are out the bottom of the barrel in terms of support and excitement around this team long-term.
    Truth. Well don't OWE Howland anything anymore; he owes US a no buyout retirement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    Aside from a few turds at the end, at least Stans had us playing hard defensively. If it's one thing I think turns State fans off the most, it's not appearing to be giving it 100%. Our guys often look disinterested on defense. And the troubling part is toughness and defense is supposed to be Howland's calling card.

Getting really good talent and losing by looking disinterested or poorly coached is far worse to me than playing hard and smart but just not having enough talent.
    This is basically Kermit vs Howland and why the results over the 4 years have been the same for both programs. Kermits teams are less talented because he is not a good recruiter, but they win at the same rate because he demands 100 percent effort. This is a major problem I had with Stansbury and Howland. Ironically, I think Rick Rays teams actually played really hard they just had no talent and Ray was a terrible floor coach.

Banned
    vCash
    Regardless of sport, Mississippi State fans expect toughness, grit, want, and intensity. It's not an expectation of success. We expect to be a tough game. We expect to be the team no one wants to play.

That's why Moorhead didn't work and didn't energize the fanbase but Leach is starting to energize us. You see the dedication. You see the heart. Vic created a winner that played with tons of heart. That's why the women had such great support. Ray and Howland have given us products that have none of that. Hell our volleyball team plays with more displayable heart.

If you're gonna suck (read not make the tournament consistently), at least be entertaining and give me something I can root for. We're not even an enjoyable underdog to root for in basketball for neutral fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    When are you guys going to realize that Howland is washed up? I keep hearing about all the great talent we bring in and I keep seeing us lose. Well, that's coaching. He's Stans 2.1. Just doesn't have the disciplinary issues etc.
    Question is, who can we get that will do a better job? I'd say that's a question for Adidas if they want to keep our business.
    Stans went to the ncaa tournament 6 times in 14 seasons.
    Ben's time here is nowhere close to Stans's time here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    It's similar to the late half of Stansbury's tenure (though without the off the court drama), but as we all know, nothing like the early half.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Regardless of sport, Mississippi State fans expect toughness, grit, want, and intensity. It's not an expectation of success. We expect to be a tough game. We expect to be the team no one wants to play.

That's why Moorhead didn't work and didn't energize the fanbase but Leach is starting to energize us. You see the dedication. You see the heart. Vic created a winner that played with tons of heart. That's why the women had such great support. Ray and Howland have given us products that have none of that. Hell our volleyball team plays with more displayable heart.

If you're gonna suck (read not make the tournament consistently), at least be entertaining and give me something I can root for. We're not even an enjoyable underdog to root for in basketball for neutral fans.
    Good post!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Care to look at percentages? One 17ing ASSHOLE Player derailed Stans who had and maybe still does have 10 X the passion and love for his job than Howland. Stans knows how to win in Oxfart; even with WKU Talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Sounds like we had a tough road loss in the conference without one of our best players, but we're still in line to be a Tournament team, like we optimistically expected going into the season.
    And Ole Miss had a 10 point home win without their best player. Who?s points was Tolu going to replace? How much defense was he going to apply to Murrell who went for 30 points on 10-11 shooting, 5-6 from 3? If their best has played GM he probably gets some of Murrell?s points. If ours had, he definitely would have got all of Davis and some of Brooks. And he might have stopped their Brooks more inside.

With regards to instate Mississippi players, it is the same as it always has been. The best of the best are either in JPS(struggle academically, Meridian(same situation) or obscure 2A and 3A schools in rural areas. Ruffin was the State?s top player last year as a 5?9? point guard at a JPS school. He signed with Ole Miss. Raymond has an excellent young basketball coach that honed his skills at Meridian before getting the job and then won a State title and played for 2 more in his first 3 seasons. Raymond is on pace to play for another one this year. But they are a great collection of good players, no significant height, who work hard for the name on the front. Not D1 prospects. Who are this years top 3 players in state?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Care to look at percentages? One 17ing ASSHOLE Player derailed Stans who had and maybe still does have 10 X the passion and love for his job than Howland. Stans knows how to win in Oxfart; even with WKU Talent.
    That's a complete rewrite of history to blame the entirety of Stansbury's downfall of Renardo Sidney (assuming that's who you're referring to). There were about a dozen headcases and locker room cancers who brought him down over the last 7 years. Lots of suspensions, drug uses, class cutting, stupid behavior, fights, various disciplinary issues, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Many of us Msu fans are delusional, fact is none of the schools in Mississippi have much of a history with successful basketball history. Yes, we can win occasionally, but don't bet your house on the success. History just doesn't lie!
    That may be true to a point but we have produced Chris Jackson, Monta Ellis, Travis Outlaw, Jonathan Bender, and many more. There has been some basketball talent in Miss. I played against two SEC freshman POY players in late 80s in just one section of the state.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    And Ole Miss had a 10 point home win without their best player. Who?s points was Tolu going to replace? How much defense was he going to apply to Murrell who went for 30 points on 10-11 shooting, 5-6 from 3? If their best has played GM he probably gets some of Murrell?s points. If ours had, he definitely would have got all of Davis and some of Brooks. And he might have stopped their Brooks more inside.

With regards to instate Mississippi players, it is the same as it always has been. The best of the best are either in JPS(struggle academically, Meridian(same situation) or obscure 2A and 3A schools in rural areas. Ruffin was the State?s top player last year as a 5?9? point guard at a JPS school. He signed with Ole Miss. Raymond has an excellent young basketball coach that honed his skills at Meridian before getting the job and then won a State title and played for 2 more in his first 3 seasons. Raymond is on pace to play for another one this year. But they are a great collection of good players, no significant height, who work hard for the name on the front. Not D1 prospects. Who are this years top 3 players in state?
    Kimani Hamilton 6-9 from Clinton. Sam Murray 6-9 Harrison Central. George Marshall 6-3 Forest Hill. I think all these will get D1 looks.

vCash
    Hamilton is former MSU dog, Tang Hamiltons son and is a state commit

vCash
    devin Ree 6-8 from Terry MS is an LSU commit and is ranked higher than Hamilton

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    That may be true to a point but we have produced Chris Jackson, Monta Ellis, Travis Outlaw, Jonathan Bender, and many more. There has been some basketball talent in Miss. I played against two SEC freshman POY players in late 80s in just one section of the state.
    I was talking bout university and colleges with basketball history. Overall it’s not much. Yes there are stars every year in high schools in Mississippi.