Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let the Diamond Girls on the Field

vCash
    Interesting. If it's true he left the meeting after 10 minutes, that's disappointing.

vCash
    It probably wouldn't help as it sounds like the "All Knowing" Cohen has made up his mind but there should be a petition to flood his email.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    He's using the hurry up and let it go away approach.

vCash
    The girls just need to go straight to Lemonis. Lemonis should have more power at this point than Cohen if he chose to flex. If lemonis is not against the girls (and there is a solid chance he is), then that route should suffice. I wonder why we had cheerleaders***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerMomofaDawg View Post
    I am posting to update everyone after the meeting of the Diamond Girls and John Cohen. This information is secondhand. I was not able to attend the meeting because I had a class to teach, but here is what my daughter told me:

No real progress made. The girls and their parents made valid points that were not really refuted by administration. Basically, they are hiding behind the Covid excuse despite the Covid arguments being illogical. Cohen left the meeting after 10 minutes. He basically thanked them for their service and said that they are treasured members of the State baseball community. His decisions, however, do not align with that professed belief. The girls feel diminished by the athletic department.

I am not sure what the next move will be. Again, this is secondhand information. I did not personally hear what he said.

The girls appreciate the support they have received from everyone and hope it continues.
    I may be mistaken but isn?t there only like 4/5 girls on the field at a time retrieving bats and such? Isn?t on field stuff a minor part of what the DGs do? And and am I correct in that only on field duties is all that is being eliminated this year? Genuinely curious

vCash
    There are usually 4-5 on the field at a given time. They rotate 3-inning stints on the field and greeting fans and such. The field work is the main part of the job, though. The on-field duties are not the only thing eliminated this year. All travel has been eliminated since the pandemic started. Girls who were told they could travel if they sold enough ads for the calendar have not been allowed to do that. They have been fundraising but have not been allowed to access that money. All girls who went to Omaha did it on their own dime. In the past, they were included in the trip and the money they had fundraiser paid their way.

I like the idea about going straight to Lemonis. One of the girls has a dad who played at State and was an MLB player. He might be the one to ask to get involved.

The thing that really drives me crazy is how long are we going to let a mild virus hold us hostage? This pandemic is not the same now as it was earlier. Omicron is a cold. That is it. We also have tools now that we did not have in the early days of Covid. At what point do we get on with living normal lives and refuse to take their ridiculous tests? Treat it like any other virus. If you have a fever, stay home. If you get sick, treat the symptoms. We have created a bizarro world in which hospitals are now having to divert people with real problems (heart attacks, car crashes, etc.) because Covid folks are clogging up the ERs. We are testing symptom-free athletes. That is nuts.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    The girls just need to go straight to Lemonis. Lemonis should have more power at this point than Cohen if he chose to flex. If lemonis is not against the girls (and there is a solid chance he is), then that route should suffice. I wonder why we had cheerleaders***
    No inside information here, but it seems unlikely that the national championship winning head coach was not involved in or consulted about any and all decisions involving what takes place on the baseball field while his team is playing.

Senior Member Vandownbytheriver's Avatar
    vCash
    It kind of sounds like to me they might be trying to save the girls feelings by not saying, "unfortunately your services are not needed any longer." Like many have said, baseball is a very superstitious sport and you don't mess with the juju. If Lemonis thinks they are a distraction to the team, he's gonna put a stop to it. Not saying that's the case, but it could be a deciding factor.

vCash
    And how many daughters does Lemonis have? Just what I thought. This is simply more liberal leadership from Cohen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    And how many daughters does Lemonis have? Just what I thought. This is simply more liberal leadership from Cohen.

vCash
    I seriously doubt he'd be in favor of this Cohen stipulation then.

vCash
    Good God who the 17 cares. Are you people permanently 14.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaChicagoDog View Post
    No inside information here, but it seems unlikely that the national championship winning head coach was not involved in or consulted about any and all decisions involving what takes place on the baseball field while his team is playing.
    Even more reason to go to him. Find out if it's just Cohen or if it's an unified front.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    I seriously doubt he'd be in favor of this Cohen stipulation then.
    So you're quietly taking back the "just what I thought" and hope no one notices the error?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    It probably wouldn't help as it sounds like the "All Knowing" Cohen has made up his mind but there should be a petition to flood his email.
    Cohen didn't make this decision....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Cohen didn't make this decision....
    So Keenum made the decision?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I assumed he was implying Lemonis.

Are these girls on some sort of scholarship or is it purely a volunteer thing?

vCash
    Ding ding

vCash
    Volunteer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Ding ding
    So much for the politics bitching