Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Let the Diamond Girls on the Field

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    So you're quietly taking back the "just what I thought" and hope no one notices the error?
    No, not at all but he does just wish many boosters simply had no opinion or just stayed quiet. Nice try there though. Nothing quiet implied in the least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    No, not at all but he does just wish many boosters simply had no opinion or just stayed quiet. Nice try there though. Nothing quiet implied in the least.
    Honest advice here - Take the L before you rack up another one.

Senior Member Vandownbytheriver's Avatar
    vCash
    Not trying to be insensitive here, but I'm not understanding the outrage. They are volunteers and not a part of the team. It sucks for the ladies who've put in the work, but I'm assuming the university is trying to eliminate any sort of liability. It's a bad situation for the young women, but the team itself must come first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Honest advice here - Take the L before you rack up another one.
    Another what? I was under the assumption that we could freely offer opinions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beerfarley View Post
    Not trying to be insensitive here, but I'm not understanding the outrage. They are volunteers and not a part of the team. It sucks for the ladies who've put in the work, but I'm assuming the university is trying to eliminate any sort of liability. It's a bad situation for the young women, but the team itself must come first.
    Agree that the team must alway be the top priority. However, the Diamond Girls in no way are a distraction. I do not think this decision is coming from the team or Coach Lemonis. My daughter is friends with those guys. In fact, one of them gifted us our tickets to Omaha. The players and Diamond Girls have always had a good working relationship.

The general outrage comes because they are a baseball tradition. Fans, alumni, and former players want to see them doing their jobs. My personal outrage comes because I am the parent of one of them, and this raw deal has really crushed her. If it made sense, she could understand that, but it does not make sense. There is no liability to letting them on the field. In fact, other schools (Ole Miss, USM, Delta State, and more) are allowing their Diamond Girls on the field. None of those schools has a Diamond Girl tradition as well-established as the one at State.

What really bothers me is that I really bought into the State is a faMily mindset. From the moment my daughter moved in, she felt that way, until this. Like I said, if the decision had been rational, if it made sense, and if that had been clearly communicated from the start, she would have been disappointed but not crushed. There is a difference. These girls are crushed because they feel like they are not even being heard. Cohen left the meeting 10 minutes after it began. That is not how you treat members of your faMily.

Again, these girls and their families wish nothing but the best for the baseball team. Also, I did not perceive your comment as insensitive. I am just posting to answer your questions.
    Last edited by TigerMomofaDawg; 01-16-2022 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Get rid of ?

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    The virus isn?t mild, and it is the administrations responsibility to protect the players and the students in their charge. Diamond girls are not absolutely necessary for baseball to be played.

Our university have a responsibility in giving the players a platform to showcase their talent for future sports related opportunities. Fans have spent money on tickets etc. the schools are trying to eliminate as much contact as possible while near the baseball field. All of that seems logical.

vCash
    Are diamond girls given scholarships to be a diamond girl? Is so, did the university not keep paying their scholarships during this Covid time? What are the perks that the diamond girls get? If not, is there some restrictions on them attending games as students?

I am just trying to figure out what the diamond girls are missing out on, other than just not being on the field? I mean, what is their connection to the athletic department? What is the arrangement?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Are diamond girls given scholarships to be a diamond girl? Is so, did the university not keep paying their scholarships during this Covid time? What are the perks that the diamond girls get? If not, is there some restrictions on them attending games as students?

I am just trying to figure out what the diamond girls are missing out on, other than just not being on the field? I mean, what is their connection to the athletic department? What is the arrangement?
    They are not on scholarship no. They are volunteers and get nothing in return other than the "prestige" that comes with it

vCash
    I am having a really hard time with this entire situation. Do I want the diamond girls to have every opportunity to experience everything they want, absolutely. I do disagree with you though, it does make sense to remove as many exposures as possible from the team. I am not sure that this does much in the grand scheme of things, but it is one of the things the administration actually does control.

What is so bad with these diamond girls just going to game as a fan?

Senior Member Vandownbytheriver's Avatar
    vCash
    I am having a really hard time with this entire situation. Do I want the diamond girls to have every opportunity to experience everything they want, absolutely. I do disagree with you though, it does make sense to remove as many exposures as possible from the team. I am not sure that this does much in the grand scheme of things, but it is one of the things the administration actually does control.

Sounds like a situation where things that don't need to be politicized are getting turned into that. It sucks they can't get their moment in the sun, but I'd rather them be in the stands in that capacity than to expose our players and have us forfeit games. Have them be ambassadors not at field level greeting fans, doing promos, pumping up the crowd, etc. Dont see why that couldn't be a compromise.

vCash
    They have also been deprived of traveling to away games and to Omaha in their official capacities, despite having fundraised to do so. The Covid excuses are nonsense. Those players are no more exposed to Covid on the field than they are at a bar or in class or at a party or at a camp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerMomofaDawg View Post
    They have also been deprived of traveling to away games and to Omaha in their official capacities, despite having fundraised to do so. The Covid excuses are nonsense. Those players are no more exposed to Covid on the field than they are at a bar or in class or at a party or at a camp.
    Deprived? We are an affluent, unserious, ridiculously self centered nation.

vCash

Bc they are going to be exposed to them, and. Thousands others, before and after the game. But it "sounds" great... So it's bullshit it's not hard to see...

vCash
    Homedawg hit a dinger right there.......

vCash
    No offense - but yalll are acting like this isn't happening all over the place with activities and student organizations of all kinds. It has been and will continue probably they the rest of this school year at least. Neither of my kids have had what I would call "normal" experiences at college the past 2+ years. In 2020, my daughter was the lead organizer for a major regional conference that is on campus every spring. It's a big deal in her department for post-grad networking. She had worked her tail off and gotten nationally prominent speakers to attend. COVID hit 3 weeks before the conference, and they had to go all on-line and wiped out all travel and all the events they had planned. She had to learn to roll with it and the disappointment. My son spent all Fall of 2020 going to marching band rehearsals 3 days a week so they could be prepared for "if" Valdosta State was allowed to let them play at games at some point - 14 weeks including band camp for shows they never got to play. Neither of them went crying to the university about it because they realize it's all about bigger things than them.

It's a damn world wide pandemic that has killed 850,000 Americans. I'm glad of the policies MSU and a lot of universities have enacted - it's kept both my kids from getting it over the past 2+ years. I'm glad they didn't get it like I did - where I was nearly intubated because my O2 levels crashed. I'm glad they didn't have to spend a week in the hospital and 3 weeks recovering like me. I'm glad they haven't caught it and died like 4 of my family members have. If missing a season of games, or going online, or wearing a mask, or having a conference and hard work cancelled - so be it.

vCash
    Deprived? They are students with no official capacity? Correct?
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Bc they are going to be exposed to them, and. Thousands others, before and after the game. But it "sounds" great... So it's bullshit it's not hard to see...
    Well to be honest, Diamond Girls serve no purpose. The fans do. And also, the fans do not interact with the players directly.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Agreed. All criticism of how the university is handling the pandemic is made by a bunch of people that do not have even close to the responsibility. I believe the school is doing a great job, and not caving to the diamond girls is the correct decision. Unless someone can tell me why they matter.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Well to be honest, Diamond Girls serve no purpose. The fans do. And also, the fans do not interact with the players directly.
    But they can wait outside the locker room and give them a hug. They can sit beside them in class. They can go to a bar and be 2' from them. They can go to their room. So they whole thing is about optics and that's it.... nothing more nothing less. By not letting diamond girls on the field, are we slowing the spread of covid? If you say yes I've got some land I'd like to sell you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    But they can wait outside the locker room and give them a hug. They can sit beside them in class. They can go to a bar and be 2' from them. They can go to their room. So they whole thing is about optics and that's it.... nothing more nothing less. By not letting diamond girls on the field, are we slowing the spread of covid? If you say yes I've got some land I'd like to sell you.
    Homedawg gets it.