aTm #65
    Vandy #81
    Ark #93
    SC #98
    OM #111
    Missouri #201
    Georgia #226

vCash
    Im surprised Arky is that high and OM is that low.

vCash
    Ole Miss 82 MSU 72 is all that is relevant right now.

vCash
    When are you guys going to realize that Howland is washed up? I keep hearing about all the great talent we bring in and I keep seeing us lose. Well, that's coaching. He's Stans 2.1. Just doesn't have the disciplinary issues etc.
    Question is, who can we get that will do a better job? I'd say that's a question for Adidas if they want to keep our business.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    When are you guys going to realize that Howland is washed up? I keep hearing about all the great talent we bring in and I keep seeing us lose. Well, that's coaching. He's Stans 2.1. Just doesn't have the disciplinary issues etc.
    Question is, who can we get that will do a better job? I'd say that's a question for Adidas if they want to keep our business.
    Odds are we can't bring in better - which is why you see threads about people wanting Andy Kennedy, who is just the Dollar General version of Rick Stansbury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Odds are we can't bring in better - which is why you see threads about people wanting Andy Kennedy, who is just the Dollar General version of Rick Stansbury.
    Then tell Adidas to kick rocks. They're who sold us Howland. They need to get involved and find someone. Their products suck. They need a reason to be kept around anyway.

Banned
    vCash
    The Hell we Can't get Better. After 7 years of Low Energy Ben, it's obvious he ain't gonna improve. We need to forget about his last name and prior successes and focus more on his tenure thus far at STATE. How anybody could be concerned or the slightest bit interested this morning about NET confuses me.
    Last edited by OLJWales; 01-09-2022 at 11:12 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    The Hell we Can't get Better. After 7 years of Low Energy Ben, it's obvious he ain't gonna improve. We need to forget about his last name and prior successes and focus more on his tenure thus far at STATE. How anybody could be concerned or the slightest bit interested this morning about NET confuses me.
    We. Aren't. A. Basketball. School.
    Mississippi. Is. Not. A. Player producing state.
    We are not a program that is or will be attractive to hot mid-major coaches. It's just facts.

Being a bubble team is about as good as it will get. We periodically should be able to put together seasons good enough to make the NCAA's but likely not with any consistency. Basketball really isn't any different than football in the sense that outside of a fluke season, or a murder scandal bringing us a great player, being competitive and winning more than losing is going to be the end result.

vCash
    We are not a program that is or will be attractive to hot mid-major coaches. It's just facts.

Being a bubble team is about as good as it will get. We periodically should be able to put together seasons good enough to make the NCAA's but likely not with any consistency. Basketball really isn't any different than football in the sense that outside of a fluke season, or a murder scandal bringing us a great player, being competitive and winning more than losing is going to be the end result.
    We made the final 4 25 years ago, brah. We are Duke lite.

vCash

Many of us Msu fans are delusional, fact is none of the schools in Mississippi have much of a history with successful basketball history. Yes, we can win occasionally, but don't bet your house on the success. History just doesn't lie!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    We made the final 4 25 years ago, brah. We are Duke lite.
    And Stans won all those West titles!!!

Don't mistake any of this as a ringing endorsement of Howland either. It's more about our status in general. I think most adequate coaches could come to State and have us in the 18-22 win range every year. Williams, Stans, and Howland prove that. But a young Rick Pitino (nor an old one) is gonna walk through the doors and take up coaching us to glory - because in todays game we don't offer anything that a mid-major doesn't. A mid-major coach won't take a risky move just to be in the SEC like they will in football. Thinking we can get better than adequate is how we got Rick Ray.

vCash

Don't mistake any of this as a ringing endorsement of Howland either. It's more about our status in general. I think most adequate coaches could come to State and have us in the 18-22 win range every year. Williams, Stans, and Howland prove that. But a young Rick Pitino (nor an old one) is gonna walk through the doors and take up coaching us to glory - because in todays game we don't offer anything that a mid-major doesn't. A mid-major coach won't take a risky move just to be in the SEC like they will in football. Thinking we can get better than adequate is how we got Rick Ray.
    I still think our best case is us stay the course with howland. Hopefully he gets us in the tourney a couple years in a row, and then he retires. Our opening would be much more attractive that way than firing a coach that's winning

vCash

Not true at all. Chris Jans at NMSU makes 250,000/yr. Howland makes 2.5 million. That's not a risky move...Its a smart one.

vCash
    Sounds like we had a tough road loss in the conference without one of our best players, but we're still in line to be a Tournament team, like we optimistically expected going into the season.

vCash
    When this season began there was discussion if we would make the NCAA tournament and what it would take to make it. As I recall, most said we would not make it or be a bubble team. I was one that thought bubble team and still do.

We lost yesterday on the road and we have people ready to jump off a damn cliff. How dare a bubble team do what bubble teams do.

Road teams in the SEC are 5-12 so far this year. We a middle of the conference team just like Ole Miss, Florida, Texas A & M and possibly Missouri.

Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, LSU and Tennessee are the guaranteed tournament teams. Vandy, Arkansas, South Carolina and Georgia are bringing up the rear.

Three of our next 4 are at home with the road game being Florida. Let's see what Howland and Co. do in that stretch before we start claiming the sky is falling.

vCash

It doesn't matter if your state produces top talent or not. There isn't a team out there that has a majority of their players from within their state. Maybe lucky if you have 2 or 3 even. Go look at LSU, Bama, TN, heck every team. Its a giant mix of everywhere and internationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Aside from a few turds at the end, at least Stans had us playing hard defensively. If it's one thing I think turns State fans off the most, it's not appearing to be giving it 100%. Our guys often look disinterested on defense. And the troubling part is toughness and defense is supposed to be Howland's calling card.

Getting really good talent and losing by looking disinterested or poorly coached is far worse to me than playing hard and smart but just not having enough talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Down 8 spots

Sec...
    LSU #3
    Auburn #6
    Tenn #11
    Kentucky #16
    Bama #22
    Us #45
    Florida #50
    aTm #65
    Vandy #81
    Ark #93
    SC #98
    OM #111
    Missouri #201
    Georgia #226
    What makes the NET the go-to for NCAAT now? What makes it better than RPI? Genuine question

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    What makes the NET the go-to for NCAAT now? What makes it better than RPI? Genuine question
    It's what the Selection Committee uses to choose and seed teams now instead of RPI.

Is it better than the RPI? Both are pretty bad from a mathematical perspective, but at least the NET allows margin of victory to count for something. It's a contrived made up formula though, not one that really represents which teams are actually better and worse like the KenPom does.

vCash

You are correct. We might not be able to do better than Howland but there is no fire in the program. Our team and the style of play he coaches is boring and hard to watch. I would rather take a chance and end up sucking than just already knowing we suck. A change will at least breathe a little fire and energy into the program. At this point I don’t even know why Howland wants to be here anymore. Would not surprise me if he hangs it up after this year, I mean he has to know the game has passed him by at this point.