Thread: Question for the board

vCash

Question for the board

Since y'all responded so overwhelmingly to my request for subscriptions to our YouTube channel, I thought it only right to ask your opinion on content. I'm going to be making a video series of severe weather terms and topics to probably start releasing in March before our spring severe weather season ramps up. Basically explaining some of the terms I use or you may see elsewhere so what I'm saying makes more sense. So, anything severe weather related you'd like me to talk about? I've got about 20 topics already in my mind to talk about but would like more. Once I get my list, I'll group them into like topics and start filming. Also downloaded an app on my phone I hope will let me edit in graphics. Otherwise, it'll be 5-10 minutes a video looking at my ugly face.

Also, any other topics. Once our severe weather season is over it can be hard to come up with content so always looking for ideas to use in the slow weather times. Maybe something with hurricanes?

And I'll admit the obvious. After a couple of years of our YouTube channel and Patreon site struggling and limping along, I've decided to start busting my ass trying to improve content and gain new subscriptions and members to both. There's a lot of things we, as a team, would like to be able to do, but we're all paycheck to paycheck regular folks it can be hard to splurge on some of the necessary items.

vCash
    How about the different types of Radar es[ the ones the Doppler effect and the ones that show the debris flying through the air

vCash
    Would like some info on sheltering from storms and storm shelters in general. Difference between sheltering from a tornado vs a hurricane. Being in the Pine Belt I need to be able to shelter from either.

vCash
    I would be interested in knowing how to spot a tornado on radar. I always hear meteorologists talking about "hook echoes" and how that's a radar signature for a possible tornado but it looks all the same to me lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I would be interested in knowing how to spot a tornado on radar. I always hear meteorologists talking about "hook echoes" and how that's a radar signature for a possible tornado but it looks all the same to me lol.
    Definitely will be a topic covered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Awesome!

vCash
    Thank you!!!!!! This is still hard for me to figure out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Thank you!!!!!! This is still hard for me to figure out.
    But I will say a hook echo is not always present. That's when velocity and some dual pol radar products come into play.

vCash
    May not be directly severe weather, but I'd like to know the +/- of the various weather models, NMFS, UK, etc. Also some help reading and understanding barometric charts and the effect upon forecasting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redstickdawg View Post
    May not be directly severe weather, but I'd like to know the +/- of the various weather models, NMFS, UK, etc. Also some help reading and understanding barometric charts and the effect upon forecasting.
    Oh yeah this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redstickdawg View Post
    Wow. That second part is a hell of a question. I assume you're talking about isobar maps. I'll add that to my list.

vCash
    Wow. That second part is a hell of a question. I assume you're talking about isobar maps. I'll add that to my list.
    I was referring more to the first part that second part is way to far over my head lol

vCash
    yes, the isobar maps.

vCash
    ON anniversary dates of some of the US (world’s) great storms, hurricane, tornado, ice, tsunami, heat wave, rain deluge, or anything anywhere in the world with footage or info for learning I’m for it. Best of everything Stark.....best of luck, I think this is great.

vCash
    I'm not sure if the exact number of models and that's fluid on if you count ensemble models as individual models or subsets of the main one. Of the main models the ones I can think of are the GFS, euro, Canadian, NAM, UKMET, NWS blend of models, HRRR, and RAP, and the cfs. Although I really don't count the cfs because it is a steaming pile of shit. Now the euro and gfs each have probably 20 ensemble members each. They're part of the parent model but tweaked just slightly. Aside from the main NAM there is the NAM3k and nam8k. Those are just higher resolution models of the nam but they have their own algorithms so they can give different outputs.

The models all go it different lengths of time so some don't come into play until just before the event.

vCash
    I think I have all my topics that I'll be doing on the video series. I tried my best to include all the items y'all asked about. If any don't make it to final cut I'll reply back to you on this board with your answer. I'm going to try and target a late January to early February start so they'll all be posted before our spring severe weather season cranks up. I'm guessing these will post to our Patreon site first and then later on our public YouTube channel...which is now at 792 subscribers. Thanks again. Besides being able to monetize our channel the hope is it'll push people to our Patreon site, too.

vCash
    I have some airborne radar shots that would be great for hook effects. We call them gates to hell in our industry but that is a total other topic. We fly through all kinds of crap in the Gulf, and most of it never gets reported because the line never makes it to land. But Gulf waters being so warm and how certain areas are just storm creators due to depth of water is pretty interesting. Unfortunately, due to us flying around at 3-5k we never actually punch out of the top so we fly by radar a lot and had a few of those “never again” moments.

vCash
    I think I have all my topics that I'll be doing on the video series. I tried my best to include all the items y'all asked about. If any don't make it to final cut I'll reply back to you on this board with your answer. I'm going to try and target a late January to early February start so they'll all be posted before our spring severe weather season cranks up. I'm guessing these will post to our Patreon site first and then later on our public YouTube channel...which is now at 792 subscribers. Thanks again. Besides being able to monetize our channel the hope is it'll push people to our Patreon site, too.
    Keep going! So close!

vCash
    Hey SVD how about deciphering the different types of GEO Sats. Dam they are confusing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Hey SVD how about deciphering the different types of GEO Sats. Dam they are confusing.
    You just skedaddled right out of my area of knowledge.