Thread: Last question for the board - I promise

vCash

Last question for the board - I promise

Y'all have been so helpful I figured I'd ask one more question. This one involves our chase team Patreon site you've seen me mention previously. No, still not going to ask you to join. But I would like to ask what kind of content would we need to produce to make someone want to join. We currently have over 69,000 followers on our Facebook site but only 36 Patreon supporters. We have three membership levels ($1, $3, $5 a month). Obviously, the content we currently have is not making people excited enough to want to join. So if you came across our site at random, what would you want to see to tell yourself that's worth up to $5/month? Any marketing gurus on here care to take a stab at it?

vCash
    What service/information can you offer that other, more established sites can?t? Does your site have the ability to do push notifications? Is your information limited to regional coverage?
    Please excuse the questions, but they will help in finding a niche and assisting with answering your question.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    What service/information can you offer that other, more established sites can?t? Does your site have the ability to do push notifications? Is your information limited to regional coverage?
    Please excuse the questions, but they will help in finding a niche and assisting with answering your question.
    This. If you could set up some type of push weather alerts that are tailored to a persons specific location that would be valuable. I?m assuming they have to use their zip code at signup, but if not add that option for people. Maybe tie in some brief video warnings/updates that get pushed out similarly. Because the current tornado warning system has sent me alerts about a min or two after I?ve heard the tornado pass.

If you can set up some type of alerting and forecast update messaging, I think people would value that. I?ll think a little more.

Oh and don?t sent out warnings for people to put their jacket on and bring their pets in when it?s cold**. The news people must think we are stupid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    This. If you could set up some type of push weather alerts that are tailored to a persons specific location that would be valuable. I?m assuming they have to use their zip code at signup, but if not add that option for people. Maybe tie in some brief video warnings/updates that get pushed out similarly. Because the current tornado warning system has sent me alerts about a min or two after I?ve heard the tornado pass.

If you can set up some type of alerting and forecast update messaging, I think people would value that. I?ll think a little more.

Oh and don?t sent out warnings for people to put their jacket on and bring their pets in when it?s cold**. The news people must think we are stupid.
    Or don't run Generator or fuel based heater inside an enclosed structure with all windows shut because everyone knows not to do this/ Oh wait. ***

vCash
    Right now we don't have push notifications. I mentioned it to our tech guys to see what may be needed to do that if we can. Our website is www.nmscas.org. You can go to it and see what we offer at each level to see what we may can improve on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post

I like this idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Right now we don't have push notifications. I mentioned it to our tech guys to see what may be needed to do that if we can. Our website is www.nmscas.org. You can go to it and see what we offer at each level to see what we may can improve on.
    I like the logo, but I think your name might cause confusion. Are you storm chasers or bad weather forecasters? Most people want to be on the front side of bad weather information. I know it seems silly, but in marketing, your name is paramount to conveying your message.

Push notifications are a must. If people have to seek you out for the information, you will lose out to services that do push.

You seem focused on the NMS area. That really limits your target audience. Where do your services end- northern state border/I20 to the south? I?d include at least just south of I20 and north of Memphis.

Be first. How quickly and confidently can you warn people of impending bad weather?

Don?t ever forget that sex appeal sells. You don?t need a naked girl, but an extremely attractive, articulate, young woman that both a male and female audience can appreciate would be huge. Funny, relatable, down to earth, but as fine as you can get, and she?s only available on your premium content.

These are quick observations that I would recommend to you.
    Last edited by Dak Holliday; 01-07-2022 at 05:06 PM.

vCash
    We do have a guy that on severe wx days does nothing but post warnings to our FB page. We do basically cover all of MS north of 20 and parts of AL. We do a lot of everything. We are chasers but we also post forecasts and other information. If it's weather related we usually cover it.

vCash
    I would focus on the service of supplying people with fast reliable warnings of impending bad weather first. Then as added content, have your adventures in storm chasing available. Clips on free version/full adventures on the pay version. If you?re funny enough, you can get an audience willing to pay just to watch some silly southern boys chasing twisters. Broadens your target. Who?d have thought people would watch swamp people?!?

Realistically, you should build an app. Free version with advertising/ pay version with limited advertising and premium content. It also addresses push notifications.
    Last edited by Dak Holliday; 01-07-2022 at 05:26 PM.