Thread: Being #2

vCash

Being #2

So, I was listening to Matt Wyatt and as the discussion swung over the portal from a 1000 ft view, what occurred to me from what Matt was saying is that the portal without penalty is kinda a 1 time thing. You can transfer once without penalty, then it?s the same as it had been. So, the question arises, is it not better to be the transfer landing spot rather than the school signed out of HS? Maybe this is why NIL deals are so big on proven commodities. You pay to land them knowing that transfer out now carries penalties. Not exactly, but kinda like killing a present playing white elephant. In essence, is it better to be a kid?s second choice?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    So, I was listening to Matt Wyatt and as the discussion swung over the portal from a 1000 ft view, what occurred to me from what Matt was saying is that the portal without penalty is kinda a 1 time thing. You can transfer once without penalty, then it?s the same as it had been. So, the question arises, is it not better to be the transfer landing spot rather than the school signed out of HS? Maybe this is why NIL deals are so big on proven commodities. You pay to land them knowing that transfer out now carries penalties. Not exactly, but kinda like killing a present playing white elephant. In essence, is it better to be a kid?s second choice?
    I'm not familiar with the transfer portal or how it works. Are you saying they can transfer more than once with penalties? If so, what are the penalties?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    I'm not familiar with the transfer portal or how it works. Are you saying they can transfer more than once with penalties? If so, what are the penalties?
    From what I understand, you can transfer more than once, but only the first time is penalty free. Any after that require an athlete to sit, unless, I assume, that grad transfer rules remain unaffected and they have graduated.

vCash
    Yes, there is more security with a portal player. He is only leaving your program for the NFL. And he is further along the development curve. The portal was good to us last cycle. We need to hit hard again and we are.

Banned
    vCash
    The portal taught me that more players wanna bolt to another than I thought. Didn't know so many regretting their NLI.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    The portal taught me that more players wanna bolt to another than I thought. Didn't know so many regretting their NLI.
    Oh I'm sure they loved getting it and spending it but the portal will give them that opportunity to double it or more.

vCash
    Oh I'm sure they loved getting it and spending it but the portal will give them that opportunity to double it or more.
    Yep. The first NIL deal for stars out of HS, the second for production so far in CFB. Essentially 2 CFB paydays for elite players.

vCash
    Yes, Portal guys get one transfer.

I can see teams that lean heavily on the portal having the same fate as teams that lean heavy toward JuCo players. You miss on too many and you are toast quick.

I do think that Mississippi State has benefited from the Portal and JuCo's but it always makes me nervous to know we gotta have guy from the portal or JuCo to start next year or we could have a problem area.

Banned
    vCash
    Shits getting out of hand. Need NIL Limits on Portal otherwise chaotic whoredom.

vCash
    Shits getting out of hand. Need NIL Limits on Portal otherwise chaotic whoredom.
    I agree. Question is, who is going to control it and how. We know the NCAA can't. Money has been a factor for years.

vCash
    I agree. Question is, who is going to control it and how. We know the NCAA can't. Money has been a factor for years.
    That is the thing for me. This was going on before the NIL monies. Players went where the money took them. I don't see that much difference with the NIL monies other than you can hear about it now.

Banned
    vCash
    Investing all that time Crootin and player development then bolts for another pay day seems awfully unfair to coaches. Lets hope it's used primarily for those not sniffing the 2 Deep & want playing time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    That is the thing for me. This was going on before the NIL monies. Players went where the money took them. I don't see that much difference with the NIL monies other than you can hear about it now.
    Somebody already posted this but one thing NIL money does is it re recruits players that are already on a team's roster. Waving that cash around enticing them to change teams.

vCash
    Investing all that time Crootin and player development then bolts for another pay day seems awfully unfair to coaches. Lets hope it's used primarily for those not sniffing the 2 Deep & want playing time.
    Exactly!

vCash
    Chaotic whoredom is a term that should be used more often. Well done.

vCash
    The individual states could start taxing the shit out of the NIL money. They could also eliminate any business tax deductions the business is taking for the NIL. Just pass the law. I think sooner or later the Federal Government is going to step in.

vCash
    I think the taxes on NIL money will be high already. 1099 worker with no write offs. They will see almost half of their money go to taxes due to State, Federal, Social Security, etc.
    Honestly, I think the government loves the NIL. It takes a lot more legal money and now they get their cut of an even bigger pie.

Thing to consider on this will be- do states with low/no state income taxes gain a huge advantage in recruiting because of it?
    Last edited by Dak Holliday; 01-07-2022 at 05:18 PM.

vCash
    Rouge, what are your thoughts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    From what I understand, you can transfer more than once, but only the first time is penalty free. Any after that require an athlete to sit, unless, I assume, that grad transfer rules remain unaffected and they have graduated.
    I'm pretty sure the new rule replaced the grad transfer rule and the whole exemption shit. Now everybody gets 1 free transfer, then that's it. After that you have to sit out a year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Chaotic whoredom is a term that should be used more often. Well done.
    Chaotic Whoredom, new band name, called it!