Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lemonis seems excited about a new commit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Let him have a couple, if that, off years and people will want him gone. Can't win w his players etc etc. He knows it and knows the next season is what's important
    Exactly. I honestly believe he's only gonna get better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Why not just start all the backups and develop some depth? Likely 2 and done anyway, but if you make a run with your subs then that's like getting extra bowl practice. In other words, I'm fine with whatever happens in the SECT if we have a National Seed locked up...but I dont understand why it HAS to be a strain on pitching. Just pitch your guys as usual, and no more.

That being said, it should 100% be single elimination or pod play. The current format is garbage.
    Yeah if you've got your seed wrapped up use it as a "spring training" type situation. Get your starters a couple
    of abs, get your big pitchers a few innings to keep them sharp, and get your backups plenty of playing time to keep them sharp cause you may need them. I honestly believe arky lost their shot at playing for the nc last year with the injuries they got in the sect. Lost their #1 starting pitcher and hard hitting first baseman for the rest of the year and it cost them

And yes single elimination is the way to go.

vCash
    Why not just start all the backups and develop some depth? Likely 2 and done anyway, but if you make a run with your subs then that's like getting extra bowl practice. In other words, I'm fine with whatever happens in the SECT if we have a National Seed locked up...but I dont understand why it HAS to be a strain on pitching. Just pitch your guys as usual, and no more.

That being said, it should 100% be single elimination or pod play. The current format is garbage.
    I always figured if there was nothing at stake, starters were using it to practice things with their swings and pitchers were doing the same with their weakest pitches to get in-game training.

I don't think there is any way we look like total ass in the SEC tourney then just flip the switch back to great team the next week unless some of that was going on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I believe 82 was just kidding on that as he added the *****
    Ok.. Im not sure what ***** means. I went back and edited that post, thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by Catfish; 01-04-2022 at 10:02 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Ok.. Im not sure what ***** means. I went back and edited that post, thanks for the heads up.
    The **** means a poster is being sarcastic or funny. They call them sarcasterisks, lol!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    You know as well as I do no baseball team wants to take 2 weeks off.
    Simple solution. We typically have a rainout or two causing us to play 54-55 games. We could easily get Mississippi Valley or someone like that in for a game or two. Polk used to schedule games like that in the late 80's after the SEC Tournament ahead of the regionals. Not sure why but it happened a couple of times.

Let him have a couple, if that, off years and people will want him gone. Can't win w his players etc etc. He knows it and knows the next season is what's important
    I think he would have to have losing seasons though for it to get to that point though. He will get a longer leash from the MSU fan base than a lot of coaches would. See Stansbury, Polk, etc. MSU fans are pretty loyal.

But I agree with Commerce. I think he is actually going to get better. He was already talking to coaches in the offseason that have won National Championships about how to handle the season after. I think he wants to be a Bertman type legend if he can. He's far from done and I think we are going to win a LOT under him. I do think we may have a hangover this year and it may take a couple of years for him to get his guys in but as you know we're recruiting a lot more nationally to add to what we are doing in state. But odd as it sounds once he gets everything situated I think we are going to see an era of MSU baseball that we only dreamed about.

You could but remember the roster isn't infinite. We can only carry 35. We typically in a weekend are going to use around 20-23 players depending on game situations and how the pitching does. The thing I've found about coaches is they are competitive people and when they get into a game they may intend to throw Bednar say 50- 60 pitches but then he has everything working in the SEC Tournament and so hey let's let him go another inning. Still looks good- OK one more won't hurt. And then before you know it he's up to 110.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    You know as well as I do no baseball team wants to take 2 weeks off.

Yeah if you've got your seed wrapped up use it as a "spring training" type situation. Get your starters a couple
    of abs, get your big pitchers a few innings to keep them sharp, and get your backups plenty of playing time to keep them sharp cause you may need them. I honestly believe arky lost their shot at playing for the nc last year with the injuries they got in the sect. Lost their #1 starting pitcher and hard hitting first baseman for the rest of the year and it cost them

And yes single elimination is the way to go.
    I think Arkansas got too cocky too. And when that happens in baseball you usually end up like they did too. They blew out NC State in game one and thought it would be easy and even if they lose game two they would "Call the Kopps". Yeah well....

vCash
    I thought Arkansas took a similar trajectory that we did in 2019. Even though they went deep in the sec tournament, you could see that for the last month of the season, they had come back down to earth quite a bit. Their offense cooled off and the few pitchers they had started to wear out. They were still winning but it was a struggle compared to the first 2/3 of the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think Arkansas got too cocky too. And when that happens in baseball you usually end up like they did too. They blew out NC State in game one and thought it would be easy and even if they lose game two they would "Call the Kopps". Yeah well....
    That NC State team was really talented and peaked at the right time. I still contend we caught a bit of a break by not having to deal with them in the Championship, at full strength they were a better team than Vandy. Not saying we wouldn?t have beaten them as well, but I?m sure their fans feel like COVID cost them a national championship.

Regarding Hoover, if last season didn?t prove that it means absolutely nothing for the top teams in the league, anyone who thinks otherwise is just being hard headed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    I don't understand this line of reasoning. We bitch that we don't win the SEC title, regular season and the tournament, but yet when we are a national Seed, it becomes a waste of time. Did other teams or fans feel that way in the past that were in similar position? I don't think so. This seems to be a recent revelation.

Pride in oneself and the team says win them ALL!
    That worked out well for UPig. Seemed like Kopps threw 1000 pitches in a 3 week period and the rest of the arms were burnt too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    That NC State team was really talented and peaked at the right time. I still contend we caught a bit of a break by not having to deal with them in the Championship, at full strength they were a better team than Vandy. Not saying we wouldn?t have beaten them as well, but I?m sure their fans feel like COVID cost them a national championship.

Regarding Hoover, if last season didn?t prove that it means absolutely nothing for the top teams in the league, anyone who thinks otherwise is just being hard headed.
    People need to remember that we were at a disadvantage as well because with how it worked out it allowed Vanderbilt to reset their pitching staff on full rest basically. Fortunately Preston Johnson and Sims were lights out and that offset the advantage somewhat.

vCash
    Basically if you were paying attention during that month and a half. Lemonis gave a free doctoral class on pitching management and team morale management. He earned every bit of praise last year especially after the SECT which is the most worthless tourney in all of sports, because you either play hard or too much or play bad and lose confidence and get rusty. Two weeks is a LONNNGGG time for a pitching staff to sit and flat ground and bullpen work just doesn’t cut it.

vCash
    People need to remember that we were at a disadvantage as well because with how it worked out it allowed Vanderbilt to reset their pitching staff on full rest basically. Fortunately Preston Johnson and Sims were lights out and that offset the advantage somewhat.
    This. They had their 2 first round pick starters rested and ready. It was our year, and our players and coaches were not being denied.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    Basically if you were paying attention during that month and a half. Lemonis gave a free doctoral class on pitching management and team morale management. He earned every bit of praise last year especially after the SECT which is the most worthless tourney in all of sports, because you either play hard or too much or play bad and lose confidence and get rusty. Two weeks is a LONNNGGG time for a pitching staff to sit and flat ground and bullpen work just doesn’t cut it.
    Yes he did! Lemonis played the long game perfectly.

vCash
    This. They had their 2 first round pick starters rested and ready. It was our year, and our players and coaches were not being denied.
    Our determination was so strong you could smell it all the way from Omaha.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Our determination was so strong you could smell it all the way from Omaha.
    Yes it was! And just about everyone on the roster contributed in some way. It was a real TEAM!

vCash
    You could but remember the roster isn't infinite. We can only carry 35. We typically in a weekend are going to use around 20-23 players depending on game situations and how the pitching does. The thing I've found about coaches is they are competitive people and when they get into a game they may intend to throw Bednar say 50- 60 pitches but then he has everything working in the SEC Tournament and so hey let's let him go another inning. Still looks good- OK one more won't hurt. And then before you know it he's up to 110.
    That may be true of coaches in general, but Lemonis consistently kept Simms on the bench in the regular season when the short term play was for him to get in the game. Whether that was in order to protect Simms arm, develop other pitchers, keep the possibility of using him twice in a weekend, or whatever combination of those, if he can layoff using sims because of looking forward to other SEC conference games, I can't imagine he's going to have trouble sticking to a plan in the SEC tourney so that he can maximize his chances in the NCAA tournament.

I think Cadaver has it right. It's basically a combination of spring training and bowl practice for us. Play starters enough to keep them fresh and "on schedule", but pull them early enough to actually get some rest. May not be able to pull every position player because of roster limitations, but the ones that are in need of a break should be able to get one.

vCash

I have a feeling it will move to single elimination with Oklahoma and Texas joining the league

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    Meh. I don't know. He needs to show me something substantial**
    Lemonis asked would ?DEEZE NUTZ? work?.

vCash
    Yes he did! Lemonis played the long game perfectly.
    When I saw that he was "passing on the SECT" I realized that he was playing the long term strategy game and he was prepping for Omaha.