Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bringing a little New Year Cheer to the board?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    That's awesome! Years ago the Roses here used to have a halfway decent diner in it. Couldn't tell you the last time I was in Roses.
    did you ever make it to the hourly Turkey drop from the roof of Gibson's Discount Center on Thanksgivings ? ... Every hour they would drop a live turkey for the crowd to catch - it was fun and hilarious to watch
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    did you ever make it to the hourly Turkey drop from the roof of Gibson's Discount Center on Thanksgivings ? ... Every hour they would drop a live turkey for the crowd to catch - it was fun and hilarious to watch
    Was it like this?

https://youtu.be/BGFtV6-ALoQ

vCash
    HA! That was awesome! I also just found out another poster on here went to elementary school with my wife. It's a small world!
    My wife, our daughter and I joke about "small world" things like this all the time. It is crazy how often when you take the time to get to know people, you find out you have a connection somehow.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    It's possible then. I think maybe she did overlap into the early 70s. She taught 10th grade English.

(https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...ry?id=23928436)
    Last edited by MagicDawg; 01-05-2022 at 02:05 PM.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Beats the heck out of the "we suck at everything but baseball" threads! Glad you started this one Rouge! Extra rep for you!
    Thanks. And just like many other threads here, it was inspired by the pitiful looking Confederates, as if they were on their way home from Appomattox Courthouse circa 1865.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Thanks. And just like many other threads here, it was inspired by the pitiful looking Confederates, as if they were on their way home from Appomattox Courthouse circa 1865.
    You're welcome! They do bring us much joy and laughter don't they? Kudos Rouge!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to RougeDawg again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    I remember!!!!!!

vCash
    Gibsons. Young kids, Anyone under 35, will never hear of the great choices before Wal Mart. TG&Y, Roses, Newberrys and the Green Stamp Store.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Gibsons. Young kids, Anyone under 35, will never hear of the great choices before Wal Mart. TG&Y, Roses, Newberrys and the Green Stamp Store.
    Got my first baseball glove with green stamps. My mom filled those green stamp books religiously. Loved going with her to that store. Long time ago.

vCash

Ahhh ..... Gibson?s. I wonder if the other Gibson?s had an annual scavenger hunt like the one, in Greenwood, my old hometown. It was the early 80s I think, and they would hide small pieces of colorful poster board throughout the store, with names of prizes written on them. If you found any, you won whatever was written on it.
    A friend and I went one year, and arrived early enough to be near the doors when they opened. Ha! Problem was, by then, it was a huge mob behind us and once they did open my feet never touched the ground until I was at least 20 feet inside the store. But, hey, I won a nice food processor. They were a fairly new kitchen appliance in those days.
    BYW, Greenwood had a Pasquale?s too, next to the movie theater.
    * Foghorn Leghorn-isms *

> about as subtle as a hand grenade in a barrel of oatmeal.

> more mixed up than a feather in a whirlwind.

> gettin so deep the farmers have to jack up the cows so they can milk em.

> making more noise than a couple of skeletons dancing on a tin roof.

vCash
    Wow that's some blasts from the past. My mom still has a stereo/record player she got with green stamps back in the early 70s lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg_Lover View Post
    Ahhh ..... Gibson?s. I wonder if the other Gibson?s had an annual scavenger hunt like the one, in Greenwood, my old hometown. It was the early 80s I think, and they would hide small pieces of colorful poster board throughout the store, with names of prizes written on them. If you found any, you won whatever was written on it.
    A friend and I went one year, and arrived early enough to be near the doors when they opened. Ha! Problem was, by then, it was a huge mob behind us and once they did open my feet never touched the ground until I was at least 20 feet inside the store. But, hey, I won a nice food processor. They were a fairly new kitchen appliance in those days.
    BYW, Greenwood had a Pasquale?s too, next to the movie theater.
    There's still a pasquales in Greenville too. Ate their last summer when I was up there on business

vCash
    There's still a pasquales in Greenville too. Ate their last summer when I was up there on business

I did not know they still existed. The one that was in Greenwood closed long before I left in the 90s. Still miss their open face beef sandwiches, smothered in gravy, on those egg bread buns. I can still recall the aroma as you walked through the door. (Forgive me. Haven?t had dinner yet.)
    Which makes me think. Does anyone remember the name of a Columbus restaurant owned by Greeks on Hwy 82 east? We ate there several times in the late 60s. Their food was excellent. I believe the name was two initials.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg_Lover View Post
    I did not know they still existed. The one that was in Greenwood closed long before I left in the 90s. Still miss their open face beef sandwiches, smothered in gravy, on those egg bread buns. I can still recall the aroma as you walked through the door. (Forgive me. Haven?t had dinner yet.)
    Which makes me think. Does anyone remember the name of a Columbus restaurant owned by Greeks on Hwy 82 east? We ate there several times in the late 60s. Their food was excellent. I believe the name was two initials.
    There's still one here in Laurel and I know the one in Greenville. It's still says Pasquale on them but food not the same as it used to be.

vCash
    Since we didn't have them on the coast whenever we had a swim meet in Laurel or Columbus dad would take us there after the meet. Now that was a treat.