Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's talk tight ends

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    I'm going to be the the devils advocate here and defend our lack of TE.

1) All those years of Mullen starting a TE, and the TE never did anything. Waste of an on field coach

2) the TE has to be able to block blitzing LBs that already have a head of steam, help the OT block NFL 1st round DEs, get out in space and block, and -to be useful pass catchers- be able to get free of a LB/S and or leap over them and make a grab. Have you seen SEC LBs? This is a true freak athlete. It's hard to find someone that can be anything other than an undersized OT. Which can be useful in certain situations, but not often.

3) How many TEs have truly been "dominant"? The best TE in the SEC has 846 yards this season, meaning there are 7 WRs with more yards. The 2nd best TE has 515 yards, meaning 19 WRs have more yards. Last year Pitts had the most dominant TE seasons I've ever seen, and he still didn't lead the team in yards or receptions. It's simply really really hard to find the freak athlete needed fro the position

4) "But TEs block! A WR can't protect the QB". I'd argue that my having a TE, you're allowing the other team to place another man in the box. If you replace the TE with a WR, the D takes a man out of the box.

5) "You can use a TE like a chess piece to out scheme the D!". That's true, you can use the TE to take advantage of an undisciplined LB/S. But that's hard to do vs competent defenses. And if we concede to the TE not being a schematic advantage vs the best 4-5 teams we see every year, then why not have a WR on the field and give us some speed and big play potential? It's hard to be smarter than everyone you play, and I'm not so confident in our ability to do that that I'm willing to give up WR speed for the chance for our coach to find a flaw in their D.

6) Every team uses a TE. Maybe being different is the best way to catch defenses making mistakes
    I think this is basically it. I remember before people figured out Joe Lee Dunn's defense, they would try to counter it by bringing in TEs to have extra blockers to pick up blitz's, which of course was the exact wrong thing to do, because it just gave him even more options as far as how to blitz and from where.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    And if Brock Bowers were here, they would have him in the slot unfortunately.
    Go watch UGA's highlights - Bowers is almost exclusively in the slot. They don't use him as much in run situations because he has been bad at run blocking and has been prone to missing assignments.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I think this is basically it. I remember before people figured out Joe Lee Dunn's defense, they would try to counter it by bringing in TEs to have extra blockers to pick up blitz's, which of course was the exact wrong thing to do, because it just gave him even more options as far as how to blitz and from where.
    Joe Lee's defense stop working because the DL towards the end of his career couldn't win one on one battles and teams could max protect causing those DB's who were no longer Smoot and Bean to be torched.

vCash
    Taylor Swift?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Joe Lee's defense stop working because the DL towards the end of his career couldn't win one on one battles and teams could max protect causing those DB's who were no longer Smoot and Bean to be torched.
    This
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    We have a TE- his name is Austin Williams

I also would love a TE-type that presents a matchup problem for the defense in the middle of the field. But alas, it's not happening anytime soon
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    He'd use tight ends all day long if it wasn't nearly impossible to get unicorns with everything he needs a receiver in his offense to do in a tight end's body to come to the places he's worked. Same reason you don't see dual threat QB's on the field for him.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Bowers is the best prospect coming out next season. Dude is an absolute beast. It is like seeing Gronk coming out of college all over again.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Bowers is the best prospect coming out next season. Dude is an absolute beast. It is like seeing Gronk coming out of college all over again.
    He runs a 4.5 forty and has a 40 inch vertical. If you watch his highlights he outruns defensive backs and just steamrolls would be tacklers.

He’s going to go very high first round. He’s a better athlete than Gronk IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Why the need to max protect if the DL can't win 1v1? Seems bassackwards.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    No one on one wins = No worry from the DL getting to your QB which usually forces the Def to blitz. The extra guys from max protect pickup blitz and release late into routes. Your QB will stay upright and no pressure even late into play. Most good QB's will pick you apart in that scenario.

Plus, those long sustained pass rush downs will tire out the defense quicker, making every play more effective.

vCash
    On the bright side at least we wont have 10 scholarship tight ends and barely get any production from them like in the Don years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Hey I'm all for having some positive conversation around here. The powder blue only looked good on the cheerleaders...
    Not as good as the Red looked on the Utah Cheerleaders and Dance Team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Not as good as the Red looked on the Utah Cheerleaders and Dance Team.
    If only they went to BYU, then you could have more than one***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    No one on one wins = No worry from the DL getting to your QB which usually forces the Def to blitz. The extra guys from max protect pickup blitz and release late into routes. Your QB will stay upright and no pressure even late into play. Most good QB's will pick you apart in that scenario.

Plus, those long sustained pass rush downs will tire out the defense quicker, making every play more effective.
    The most aggressive DCs only blitz about 30% of the time. That means that 7 out of 10 times you would have people protecting with no one to block.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    For the dog safties Joe Lee blitzed every other play.