Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would an Ole Miss win in the Sugar Bowl

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    I may be off on this but weren?t we slated to the Sugar Bow slot in 2014 NY6 bowls had it not been in the rotation for the playoffs? Playoffs were Rose and Sugar I believe. We went to Orange bowl and Don drowned our season in orange juice.

I could be way off but had we beaten OM in 14 we had a shot at the Sugar outright. Just another turd in the Merlin toilet.

Eta. I had completely forgotten the asshat KlanSharts were even playing in it, and even live in Nola.
    We were ranked 1 when we lost to Bama. We dropped to 4. Then we slaughtered our next opponent and stayed at 4. Had we beat Ole Miss, the committee was going to have to choose between a 1 loss Mississippi State by 5 to New Number 1 Alabama or 1 loss Ohio State who I believe has been blown out in their 1 loss. Nevermind that Ohio State proved they deserved to be in by winning the whole thing. There is no way of knowing whether State would have done the same thing had they finished Regular Season 11-1 with only loss to #1 and SEC champ Alabama.

Amazing the opportunity that was right in front of Mullen that year!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    We were ranked 1 when we lost to Bama. We dropped to 4. Then we slaughtered our next opponent and stayed at 4. Had we beat Ole Miss, the committee was going to have to choose between a 1 loss Mississippi State by 5 to New Number 1 Alabama or 1 loss Ohio State who I believe has been blown out in their 1 loss. Nevermind that Ohio State proved they deserved to be in by winning the whole thing. There is no way of knowing whether State would have done the same thing had they finished Regular Season 11-1 with only loss to #1 and SEC champ Alabama.

Amazing the opportunity that was right in front of Mullen that year!
    I imagine we probably drop to #5 in the final rankings that year if we beat Ole Miss to finish 11-1, although Archie Manning said in an interview around that time that we would have stayed #4.

However, if we beat Alabama and then lose to Ole Miss, but then beat Missouri in the SECCG, we are likely the #1 seed in the playoff.

vCash
    Y'all are insane.

Cohen needs to wake up? And do what? Let's hear what Cohen needs to do to suddenly make us a contender in college football.

The only concrete ideas in this thread are to talk to people...and make the freaking Kiss Cam happen at a different time each game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    7-9 wins a year and beat OM more than they beat us..
    That’s as realistic in today’s football landscape as we should be. It just is what it is..

And as shitty as most of you feel about our program and I agree the Liberty bowl was a total shit show we had a shot to win every game except for Bama
    I will take that every year ...

So maybe we aren’t as far away as most think , maybe we are trending in the right direction. We had a solid recruiting class and we return a lot of good pieces.. we need a couple of impact portal transfers and let’s ****ing go.!!

Year 3 is a HUGE year for our program and for CML going forward
    Most rational post in this thread and accurate.

vCash
    Right now Ole Miss football program is head and shoulders above the state football program. If they maintain that standing next season and we stay at 6 wins and a bowl loss you may as well fold the tents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Right now Ole Miss football program is head and shoulders above the state football program. If they maintain that standing next season and we stay at 6 wins and a bowl loss you may as well fold the tents.
    Head and shoulder's? I admit they had a good season but should have lost three or four games but didn't just like we should have won three more games but didn't. Football is a funny game sometimes the ball bounces your way ala OM this year or it doesn't ala us this year.
    One more thing that even I lost sight of after Tuesday. ML record might be worse than SloMos but SloMo had the benefit of playing 4 non conference teams in his two years ML had four this year and an all SEC schedule last year. No to mention the issues ML took over and then add in covid issues. It's easy to see the difference
    And finally wether you agree or not but we are upgrading talent all across the board while OM is struggling to get transfers in. We are building LK is trying to build his resume out of Oxford

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Why? Every time either Mississippi State or Ole Miss thinks they're on the verge of burying the other forever it all evens out again. Every. Time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Why? Every time either Mississippi State or Ole Miss thinks they're on the verge of burying the other forever it all evens out again. Every. Time.
    This can?t be overstated. As much as it pains me, from a 100 ft view, we are basically the same team.

I just wish we could reach the higher highs that they?ve seemed to get.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    This can?t be overstated. As much as it pains me, from a 100 ft view, we are basically the same team.

I just wish we could reach the higher highs that they?ve seemed to get.
    Would you trade there lows for ours??

vCash
    In the last 30 yrs, they?re not that much different. We are on a bowl streak that includes an academic year. They spent 3 seasons on probation with a few years of scrutiny and still have 3 NY6 bowls. They also seem to find ways to win their bowls. I?m not sure our lows are better. Liberty felt as low as I?ve felt in a long time. So, would you trade our lows for theirs to get their highs? I?m inclined to say that I would.

vCash
    In the last 30 yrs, they?re not that much different. We are on a bowl streak that includes an academic year. They spent 3 seasons on probation with a few years of scrutiny and still have 3 NY6 bowls. They also seem to find ways to win their bowls. I?m not sure our lows are better. Liberty felt as low as I?ve felt in a long time. So, would you trade our lows for theirs to get their highs? I?m inclined to say that I would.
    I'll take 12 bowls including a New Years six. I also think this is there cap while we have shown to have more longevity success and now recruiting much better.
    In the next 5 years or less we will equal there ny6 appearance's. But I do understand your thoughts

vCash
    ESPN announcer said this is Ole Miss' tenth Sugar Bowl and that they lead NCAA football in all time bowl winning percentage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FoggyBottom View Post
    ESPN announcer said this is Ole Miss' tenth Sugar Bowl and that they lead NCAA football in all time bowl winning percentage.
    Maybe true about sugar bowls but woefully inaccurate on all time bowl
    Winning pct.. om all time bowl winning pct is .658 there are many teams greater than that including app State, arky and Utah.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    They don't have too. They've been to 2 sugar bowls in the past 12 years. I've been waiting 50 years for us to go to one.
    I get that for the first 30 of those years... that's when the SEC champion went to it. But for the last 20, the Sugar is no better than the Orange.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    I get that for the first 30 of those years... that's when the SEC champion went to it. But for the last 20, the Sugar is no better than the Orange.
    This. With the rotating bowls for cfp orange and sugar are same. They have 2 we have 1.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Maybe true about sugar bowls but woefully inaccurate on all time bowl
    Winning pct.. om all time bowl winning pct is .658 there are many teams greater than that including app State, arky and Utah.
    It?s highest/2nd highest for teams with 30+ Bowl appearances. Not anything to hang your head over.

https://www.si.com/college/olemiss/....llege-football

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This. With the rotating bowls for cfp orange and sugar are same. They have 2 we have 1.
    This will be their 3rd NY6 per radio this morning. 1 Peach and 2 Sugars.

vCash
    And we have 12 in a row that only 8 other teams in the country have at this point. Nothing to hang your head over.

vCash
    It?s highest/2nd highest for teams with 30+ Bowl appearances. Not anything to hang your head over.

https://www.si.com/college/olemiss/....llege-football
    Fact remains the statement made was incorrect.

vCash
    Cohen needs to do a better job with marketing. Marketing has taken a huge hit under his leadership.