Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emerson opts out per the twitters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    I agree the game means something. Here is the issue, though. Dave Nichol isn?t going to be there. He?s in Southern Cal recruiting for a completely different school. It?s hard to expect young men to follow a different example set by those who lead them.
    No, it's not even remotely hard to expect yound men to make their own decisions. They are adults at this point. If you honestly think the tipping point for Cross or Emerson to opt-out was when they saw Dave Nichol go to another school before the end of bowl season then you are pathetic.

Quit blaming others for personal decisions.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    No, it's not even remotely hard to expect yound men to make their own decisions. They are adults at this point. If you honestly think the tipping point for Cross or Emerson to opt-out was when they saw Dave Nichol go to another school before the end of bowl season then you are pathetic.

Quit blaming others for personal decisions.
    17 this. Coaches have careers; Emerson & Cross have yet to start theirs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    17 this. Coaches have careers; Emerson & Cross have yet to start theirs.
    So everything is just fun and games while they are at college? Career decisions aren't made when they enroll at a particular college at 18 or whenever they enroll? Signing as an athlete, with any school at this point, even before NIL is just as much of a business decision as any other opportunity given to them once they turn 18.

I couldn't care less if anyone with NFL potential sits out their last bowl game unless it's in the CFP. And even a NY6 bowl. But the liberty bowl? C'mon, it means nothing competitively. They've done what they were supposed to do and earned their scholarship if they are draftable as a junior. Pass the torch and let the young guys have some fun and build experience.

They certainly shouldn't give a damn about owing you or me anything after earning a place at the table in the draft. Get over yourself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    It doesn't bother me at all he's not playing to be honest.
    I actually understand him quitting more than Cross. Cross is getting drafted high regardless. If he gets hurt in the bowl game, there just aren't a lot of injuries that are career ending and somebody will still draft him and pay him. I'm not sure what it does to Emerson if he gets a nagging injury and his 40 time is slow at the combine. It might be the difference between getting a good first contract and not.

Banned
    vCash
    So everything is just fun and games while they are at college? Career decisions aren't made when they enroll at a particular college at 18 or whenever they enroll? Signing as an athlete, with any school at this point, even before NIL is just as much of a business decision as any other opportunity given to them once they turn 18.

I couldn't care less if anyone with NFL potential sits out their last bowl game unless it's in the CFP. And even a NY6 bowl. But the liberty bowl? C'mon, it means nothing competitively. They've done what they were supposed to do and earned their scholarship if they are draftable as a junior. Pass the torch and let the young guys have some fun and build experience.

They certainly shouldn't give a damn about owing you or me anything after earning a place at the table in the draft. Get over yourself.
    You're arguing with selfish stubbornness personified. He'd rather be outraged at his perceived "problem" than list to reason or solutions. There was another thread on here discussing options (paying for player's draft insurance, etc.)

None of it stuck. He's formed his opinion and any discussion is a perceived threat to his psyche. He refuses to be wrong at all costs. Facts aren't on his side? Ignore em.

This is becoming a more pervasive problem in general as people have become as tribalistic about their opinions as they have about sports. Maybe even more so. Welcome to social media's endgame. Grab some popcorn, have a seat, and enjoy the decline.

vCash

Understood. I only speak for myself. Emerson can do what he feels is best for him. But that phrase "it means nothing competitively" is the phrase that gets to me personally. There is nothing I've ever done "that means nothing competitively". That's why I can't understand how guys opt out. I just can't fathom it. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I don't dislike Emerson and wish him well. I certainly don't disown him. Hope he represents us well in the NFL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Understood. I only speak for myself. Emerson can do what he feels is best for him. But that phrase "it means nothing competitively" is the phrase that gets to me personally. There is nothing I've ever done "that means nothing competitively". That's why I can't understand how guys opt out. I just can't fathom it. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I don't dislike Emerson and wish him well. I certainly don't disown him. Hope he represents us well in the NFL.
    I respect that and believe me, I'm as competitive as they come. If I'm stepping foot on the field I'm all in. If I'm opting out for the draft I'm not longer stepping foot on the field for my college career.

Mentally they've closed the book on this chapter. Once I actually decide I'm moving on to the next thing it's easy and nothing to get hung up on.

You finish one game to move on to a new game that could change your entire family's trajectory for generations. Actual life-changing money. Plain and simple. The university and fans will get over it and appreciate it later when a fat donation is made. But maybe not if a bunch of folks tell him to 'kick rocks' or 'pound sand'. We gots der liberty bowl on the line fellas!!!

Banned
    vCash
    Coaches are many times left with little to no option when to bolt to another team when an opportunity arises that can help your career and/or help your family.

So what new team has Cross & Emerson signed contracts with? What new team is putting heat on them to bolt?
    Last edited by OLJWales; 12-27-2021 at 10:40 PM.

vCash
    Coaches are many times left with little to no option when to bolt to another team when an opportunity arises that can help your career and/or help your family.

So what new team has Cross & Emerson signed contracts with? What new team is putting heat on them to bolt?
    Well if Emerson goes and gets hurt in the liberty bowl no one probably. Would likely be a very unfortunate mistake.

I'm not going to step into your pretend world and act like Cross isn't just short of having a piece of paper in front of him to sign to become an instant millionaire.

You are wrong. Period.

ETA: Do you believe if Emerson or Cross came out and showed out in the liberty bowl it would dramatically increase where they land in the draft?
    Last edited by StateDawg44; 12-28-2021 at 01:34 PM.

vCash
    I think that is because 99% of us on message boards have never faced this exact issue. We may face opportunities that advance our career or provide us with a better life/work balance, but we don't face the exact decision players do.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

Banned
    vCash
    Well if Emerson goes and gets hurt in the liberty bowl no one probably. Would likely be a very unfortunate mistake.

I'm not going to step into your pretend world and act like Cross isn't just short of having a piece of paper in front of him to sign to become an instant millionaire.

You are wrong. Period.

ETA: Do you believe if Emerson or Cross came out and showed out in the liberty bowl it would dramatically increase where they land in the draft?
    Got it all figered out there don'tcha?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I think that is because 99% of us on message boards have never faced this exact issue. We may face opportunities that advance our career or provide us with a better life/work balance, but we don't face the exact decision players do.
    That's very fair and very true. And I totally agree. But by that same logic, we can't question why a coach chooses to punt on 4th and 1 rather than go for it because we've never faced the exact same issue. But we can say "if I was coach, this is what I would do". What I'm saying is that if I was Emerson or Cross, I would show up and play. You couldn't keep me off the field.

vCash
    That's very fair and very true. And I totally agree. But by that same logic, we can't question why a coach chooses to punt on 4th and 1 rather than go for it because we've never faced the exact same issue. But we can say "if I was coach, this is what I would do". What I'm saying is that if I was Emerson or Cross, I would show up and play. You couldn't keep me off the field.
    I was a 120% balls out guy when I played too - so I get the idea that my competitive juices would make me want to play. Hell, the last summer I was without kids I played on 7 softball teams (I have an awesome wife).
    But, I really do think if all my advisors said that skipping a bowl game (not a playoff game) was in my best interest to assure I make the most money I possibly can in the draft, my ass would spend the day training for the draft. Your combine results can be the difference in 6th round and 3rd round - which is good money. But, for a projected 1st round guy, the range in contracts from #1 pick to #32 last year was $20 million - with most of that range coming in upfront bonus money. If I were Charles Cross, who everyone is charting as a 1st round guy, that makes my decision damn easy, I'm off training to get as high of a draft spot as I can.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Got it all figered out there don'tcha?
    Yes. It is that easy to figure out.

Good to see you understand it now.*

vCash
    All I know is, I'm sitting in this God forsaken stadium to root for my team that's playing for my university.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dogshiek View Post
    All I know is, I'm sitting in this God forsaken stadium to root for my team that's playing for my university.
    How's the weather?

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    If by not playing I was virtually guaranteed Millions of dollars and many more games in the future, I would be on the sideline cheering for my backup and dreaming of buying a kick ass car and trying to get that day-walking redhead in the stands digits.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Windy and occasional drizzle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dogshiek View Post
    Windy and occasional drizzle.
    I don't suppose you noticed anyone from TT with a wheelbarrow full of money headed towards Coach Leach?

vCash
    Got some tech boys to ring my cowbell. Jealous of the dawg.