Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emerson opts out per the twitters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    It doesn't bother me at all he's not playing to be honest.
    I sorta like us getting a chance to play a decent team without cross and Emerson. We're gonna have to play without them next year anyway.

vCash
    I'm just hoping we get to play. Covid knocked out the Military Bowl and the Fenway Bowl today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I sorta like us getting a chance to play a decent team without cross and Emerson. We're gonna have to play without them next year anyway.
    I agree. I want to see what Cordarian Richardson and Nick Jones can do. Will allow us to evaluate the portal better although we already have Banks to replace Emerson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    I'm just hoping we get to play. Covid knocked out the Military Bowl and the Fenway Bowl today.
    I'd love it if we played, won, and the Sugar got canceled.

vCash
    This.

vCash
    Agree with this - especially since their best WR opted out

vCash
    We paid their scholarship for them to compete. If they opt out of competing, we ought to be able opt out of their scholarship. Looks to me like they ought to have their scholly revoked. They have their reasons for quitting, I understand that, but they shouldn't have their cake and eat it too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScooterDog View Post
    We paid their scholarship for them to compete. If they opt out of competing, we ought to be able opt out of their scholarship. Looks to me like they ought to have their scholly revoked. They have their reasons for quitting, I understand that, but they shouldn't have their cake and eat it too.
    I could be wrong but I don't think bowl games are part of their scholarships. Somebody who knows more about this, help us out.

vCash
    I doubt they will be in school any longer anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I doubt they will be in school any longer anyway.
    Correct, they'll be training off-site.

vCash
    While I can't really argue with this it would destroy recruiting. To keep players from opting out it would have to be incentive based. Something along the lines that the players on the winning team gets X amount of the bowl payout and the other team gets some amount less. That would not only maybe keep a few guys playing but would also make them take it seriously since winners get more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Call it what it is, quitting.

Now if you want to quit early, that is 100% your decision and you have the right to make the best decision for you. You will always be a bulldog, and I hope the nfl goes great.

But why we created the phrase "opting out," to make it sound better is weird. It is quitting.
    Not saying this is you but if we?re going to complain about players opting out, we better start throwing out the names of the coaches that leave before the season is over, but we don?t because we worship the ground they walk on and say business is business when it comes to coaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailState2008 View Post
    Not saying this is you but if we?re going to complain about players opting out, we better start throwing out the names of the coaches that leave before the season is over, but we don?t because we worship the ground they walk on and say business is business when it comes to coaches.
    Fair point.

vCash
    And I didn’t like it when Mullen left us high and dry and didn’t coach the Bowl game. I believe coaches shouldn’t leave until the season is complete. It may not be feasible, but I wish that was the process.

vCash
    Well if we lump the coaches in then that kind of blows the whole injury prevention excuse out of the water. Both circumstances are sorry.

vCash
    I'm not complaining about players doing it. I have no issue with it honestly. But just like when coaches quit one job to take another, the player is quitting to train for another job. Nobody says a coach opted out of the bowl game.

vCash
    Fans worship players too. It's why fans get upset the player opts out. Nobody cares Nichols is gone. Everyone does that Cross and Emerson are.

But this whole what about coaches counter point is fallacy. A coaches situation and players are different. Because of early signing day, coaches are offered jobs early and can take the job then or get passed over. Also fans demand coaches show up at their new job to recruit. The coaches have no option but to take the job at that moment or not get the job.

The nfl combine and draft are well after the college bowl season is over. The players can play bowl games and still have time to train for the combine.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 12-26-2021 at 09:12 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Fans worship players too. It's why fans get upset the player opts out. Nobody cares Nichols is gone. Everyone does that Cross and Emerson are.

But this whole what about coaches counter point is fallacy. A coaches situation and players are different. Because of early signing day, coaches are offered jobs early and can take the job then or get passed over. Also fans demand coaches show up at their new job to recruit. The coaches have no option but to take the job at that moment or not get the job.

The nfl combine and draft are well after the college bowl season is over. The players can play bowl games and still have time to train for the combine.
    Yep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    While I can't really argue with this it would destroy recruiting. To keep players from opting out it would have to be incentive based. Something along the lines that the players on the winning team gets X amount of the bowl payout and the other team gets some amount less. That would not only maybe keep a few guys playing but would also make them take it seriously since winners get more.
    Exactly. Probably going to have to be NIL money of like a million dollars or so to make it worth the risk of I had to guess.

Banned
    vCash
    Lloyds will sell a one game policy all day.