Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: James Webb telescope launch

vCash

OT: James Webb telescope launch

The James Webb space telescope (successor of Hubble) is scheduled for launch in the next day or two. A day or two ago, it was scheduled for Dec 24 at 6:20 a.m. CST, but it appears now that it'll be Christmas morning at the same time. Launch will be on an Ariane V from French Guyana, on the equator.

It'll take a few months to get to his final destination at a LaGrange Point, but its results should be much superior to Hubble.

Let's hope the launch goes well. The project has been in the works for many years.

vCash
    Really cool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    The James Webb space telescope (successor of Hubble) is scheduled for launch in the next day or two. A day or two ago, it was scheduled for Dec 24 at 6:20 a.m. CST, but it appears now that it'll be Christmas morning at the same time. Launch will be on an Ariane V from French Guyana, on the equator.

It'll take a few months to get to his final destination at a LaGrange Point, but its results should be much superior to Hubble.

Let's hope the launch goes well. The project has been in the works for many years.
    And a ton of $$$. I hope it does go well

Banned
    vCash
    Space. The Final Frontier. To Boldly go where no Man has gone Before!#

vCash
    Any of y'all see Comet Leonard?

vCash
    Hope all the smudges were wiped clean. Got no shuttle to go capture and fix it this time.

vCash
    Will it be able to find Major Tom? He has been missing for fifty years, and dam its been that long.

vCash
    Very excited for this. (And will be a little nervous for the next few months.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    More like this/

https://youtu.be/AXS8P0HksQo

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Will it be able to find Major Tom? He has been missing for fifty years, and dam its been that long.
    And don't forget Rocket Man Burning up a fuse up HERE Alone.

Banned
    vCash
    Amazing no? 5000 yrs and the best we had were horses. 1840's or so the steam locomotives then 120 yrs or so later Armstrong's Hoping his Legs don't break Walking on the Moon.

vCash
    Amazing no? 5000 yrs and the best we had were horses. 1840's or so the steam locomotives then 120 yrs or so later Armstrong's Hoping his Legs don't break Walking on the Moon.
    I don't think kids these days understand how important that was to the kids of the 60's like myself. I remember waiting for that moment like it just happened. Every kid in the neighborhood was outside looking at the moon and t5hen went inside to watch the landing and then Armstrong going down the ladder.

vCash
    I don't think kids these days understand how important that was to the kids of the 60's like myself. I remember waiting for that moment like it just happened. Every kid in the neighborhood was outside looking at the moon and t5hen went inside to watch the landing and then Armstrong going down the ladder.
    Neil Armstrong, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
    One of the greatest experiences of my youth.
    Last edited by Catfish; 12-24-2021 at 12:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

I’ve been tracking this project for years. I discovered my love of space and astrophysics in my late 20’s and was too entrenched in my current career to make the change. In another life I would have worked toward a career in the space industry or at an academic level. Needless to say I consume a lot of info on the subject. This space telescope is going to be a game changer I think. The data it will gather will be phenomenal. Sitting on pins and needles for this launch. Hoping and praying everything goes well. About every other year we go to Huntsville to tour the space and rocket center. I’m trying to convince my boys that they want a career in space science. Haha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Neil Armstrong, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
    One of the greatest experiences of my youth.
    Pictures.... or it never happe....... oh yeah.... we have pictorial proof! God Blessed the United States of America!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Pictures.... or it never happe....... oh yeah.... we have pictorial proof! God Blessed the United States of America!
    LOL, so............you don't believe Apollo 11 landed on the moon?

vCash
    Space. The Final Frontier. To Boldly go where no Man has gone Before!#
    Awesome!!!!! Memories.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Back...and to the left.....Back....and to the left....Back...and to th....

vCash
    I agree. Let?s hope it gets up there safely. Many times, I?ve been over at Nexolve in research park and seen the JW sun shield being developed.