Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hesitant to post this early as confidence very low

vCash

Hesitant to post this early as confidence very low

But due to the timing I am. Last few days the GFS has been pretty consistent showing at least a marginal severe threat for New Year's Eve. I'm still pretty skeptical but when it gets as warm as it's going to get the next few days here in late December that usually comes at a cost. There's also hints at a pattern shift and cold weather coming in and when you go from record warmth to cold that also can hint at severe weather. Please, don't cancel any plans but just keep this tucked away in the back of your mind.

vCash
    Yeah, almost 80 degrees on Christmas Day..... I was wondering when the other shoe would drop.

Please please stay warm and dry through the Liberty bowl day.

vCash
    I always appreciate the heads-up you provide. Thank you and Merry Christmas.

vCash

Week 2 of GFS has been bringing up storms from Tejas/GoM from middle of Oct

Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    But due to the timing I am. Last few days the GFS has been pretty consistent showing at least a marginal severe threat for New Year's Eve. I'm still pretty skeptical but when it gets as warm as it's going to get the next few days here in late December that usually comes at a cost. There's also hints at a pattern shift and cold weather coming in and when you go from record warmth to cold that also can hint at severe weather. Please, don't cancel any plans but just keep this tucked away in the back of your mind.
    and slowing down progressive weather. Don't think its panned out 1x

vCash
    Here is the latest discussion from the SPC regarding middle to late week next week:

...Beyond Day 6...
    The chances for more significant severe weather will increase beyond Day 6. Most guidance suggests 70 degree dewpoints across the entire Gulf of Mexico by D6/Tue. This is anomalously high Gulf moisture content for this time of year and will set the stage for severe weather potential. The exact magnitude of any severe weather threat will depend on the evolution of the upper-level and surface pattern, but with a broad warm sector in place across the Southeast and mid-Mississippi Valley it is more likely than not that there will eventually be a severe weather episode somewhere from the Southeast into the Midwest/Great Lakes.

vCash
    But has PHGdawg gone out and looked at the sky? We need his second opinion. ***

vCash

Don?t apologize. This is no earlier than TAM deciding they can?t play the gator bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    But has PHGdawg gone out and looked at the sky? We need his second opinion. ***
    ?due to COVID?
    Thanks for the heads up

vCash
    Please go away until June...I just got back from Kentucky! Would you be interested in a one-way ticket to Afghanistan for the winter. JUST sayin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    Please go away until June...I just got back from Kentucky! Would you be interested in a one-way ticket to Afghanistan for the winter. JUST sayin
    Glad you back for Christmas!!

vCash
    We desperately need rain and cold weather. But.....

vCash
    GFS has been pretty consistent about the strong storms along the Miss/Tenn border. The jet stream looks like it goes bottoms out around Vicksburg and the jet goes up along the River.

vCash
    And here we go. SPC has now outlined a severe threat for next Wednesday. Still too early to know exact threat levels. Currently, the Euro is trending towards a more significant threat while the gfs is a more subdued threat. Usually, my money is on the euro but that is to be determined.

Last edited by starkvegasdawg; 12-25-2021 at 06:52 AM.

vCash
    Latest GFS has the main severe threat to the north along the Tenn KY border area. Of course subject to change in 6 hrs.

vCash
    And here we go. SPC has now outlined a severe threat for next Wednesday. Still too early to know exact threat levels. Currently, the Euro is trending towards a more significant threat while the gfs is a more subdued threat. Usually, my money is on the euro but that is to be determined.

I'm far more interested in New Year's weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowDawg View Post
    I'm far more interested in New Year's weekend.
    Yeah, that's looking like it has potential, too. Just taking them one at a time.

vCash
    I just want some cold weather, because the duck hunting currently sucks.

vCash
    In addition to the severe threat Wednesday, SPC has now also mentioned the possibility of a significant severe weather threat next weekend. There's still some differences among the models so they haven't outlined a threat area yet, but expect it to be anywhere from the southern plains into the Deep South. This would be the threat I mentioned in my original post.

vCash
    Well damn.......... 60% chance of rain and 20mph winds Tuesday in Memphis???? Is that what you are seeing forecasted?

Maybe that changes between now and then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Well damn.......... 60% chance of rain and 20mph winds Tuesday in Memphis???? Is that what you are seeing forecasted?

Maybe that changes between now and then.
    This week is looking very active weather and wind wise. I was trying to pick a couple days to go deer hunt. Best days looking like Thursday and Friday.

Next weekend is starting to get some attention in the weather world. There's some indications we're about to see a pattern flip to colder weather and a big severe threat may be the price we pay. But not really focusing on that yet. First threat is Wednesday so getting through it before looking at next weekend.

vCash
    Seems like 2011 all over again with this weather