Thread: Where we at in basketball headed into sec play

vCash

Where we at in basketball headed into sec play

Net - 38th
    Rpi - 43rd
    Kenpom - 40th

We're in good shape to make the tourney

vCash
    The issue is the committee likes to use lack of good nonconference wins against teams on the bubble. Going to need to get some big wins in conference to make it.

vCash
    Agree on being in good shape.
    11-7 in sec play should do it. Maybe 10-8 if we beat Texas Tech.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Net - 38th
    Rpi - 43rd
    Kenpom - 40th

We're in good shape to make the tourney
    A win in our home SEC opener against Arkansas would go a long way. We need fans to show up to that game.

vCash
    I’m seeing 64th in RPI

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    I’m seeing 64th in RPI
    http://www.realtimerpi.com/college_M...tball_rpi.html

vCash
    I?m seeing 64th in RPI
    For some reason sites will have small discrepancies, not sure why. I've seen 64, 65, and 43. I could be wrong, but I think RPI is either not used at all, or very minimally at this point. It is a very weak metric compared to so many others.

vCash
    Howland needs to learn from his mistake vs Louisville. We were undefeated and rolling. It was Tolu's first game back and he immediately put him in the starting lineup. This time, when Tolu is ready, bring him off the bench for a few games.

vCash
    https://masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Massey has a composite ranking which currently has 40 different rankings compiled. In that, we are 42.

Braketology has us as the 1st team out. All the rankings seem to be pretty consistent that we would be squarely in the bubble discussion right now, but probably closer to out than in. We'll need to improve in SEC play to get in. And if we want a good seed (6 or better), we're going to have to dominate which seems pretty unlikely at this point but still doable if we flip a switch right now.
    Last edited by sleepy dawg; 12-22-2021 at 11:52 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    https://masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Massey has a composite ranking which currently has 40 different rankings compiled. In that, we are 42.

Braketology has us as the 1st team out. All the rankings seem to be pretty consistent that we would be squarely in the bubble discussion right now, but probably closer to out than in. We'll need to improve in SEC play to get in. And if we want a good seed (6 or better), we're going to have to dominate which seems pretty unlikely at this point but still doable if we flip a switch right now.
    Had there been a lunardi update since 12/17? We've won 2 games and jumped 10 spots in net since then

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Howland needs to learn from his mistake vs Louisville. We were undefeated and rolling. It was Tolu's first game back and he immediately put him in the starting lineup. This time, when Tolu is ready, bring him off the bench for a few games.
    I agree.

vCash
    Had there been a lunardi update since 12/17? We've won 2 games and jumped 10 spots in net since then
    No there hasn't been. I didn't know we'd jumped 10 spots since then. Must've had some help above us b/c I'm pretty sure wins agains Winthrop and Furman aren't moving that needle much.

vCash
    We will make the tourney as long as we win 10 SEC games.

We need to beat Mizzou SC twice and Ole Miss twice Vandy, UGA

Win two of the Auburn/Arkansas/Tennessee/@TAMU group. Do that and we make the tournament.

Bama either time, @UK, @LSU @UF @TTU @Ark is probably not happening. We really need to not have dumb losses though to anyone in that first group

vCash
    This is a tourney team. Book it

vCash
    Gotcha, Warren Nolan has us at 64 that’s what I usually go by

vCash
    Gotcha, Warren Nolan has us at 64 that’s what I usually go by
    Probably a better site than mine. Regardless, NET is the one we need to look at anyway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    The issue is the committee likes to use lack of good nonconference wins against teams on the bubble. Going to need to get some big wins in conference to make it.
    We'll pick up 1 or 2 nice wins that boost us up and drop 1 or 2 head scratchers that puts us on the edge of being in or out. It's classic Howland at this point. Rinse, wash, repeat.

vCash
    Minnesota down 1 at the half to Green Bay. We really need them to win this game esp considering they play Alcon st next. Would be a good thing for us if they straight up canceled Alcorn st game

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Minnesota down 1 at the half to Green Bay. We really need them to win this game esp considering they play Alcon st next. Would be a good thing for us if they straight up canceled Alcorn st game
    Well Minn won by 16. Must?ve been in the Howland half court in the first half.

vCash
    We have played the entire pre-conference without one of the best players on our team. This team will gel more the more they play together. Their best basketball is ahead. Lots to be excited about
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is