Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Please stop testing athletes for Covid

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    I didn't mean to imply that per se, but probably? Seems very silly (or nakedly political) to single out the COVID vaccine to be "against" but support others.
    I've actually gotten one dose of the vaccine, but that's Bc I'm in my mid-40s. If I were in my 20s or 30s, there's no way I'd get the vaccine willingly. This vaccine is doing nothing but reducing how hard it hits you, and young, healthy people aren't at risk. Why do you have to believe that all people should be vaccinated or you're anti-vaccine?

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    I didn't mean to imply that per se, but probably? Seems very silly (or nakedly political) to single out the COVID vaccine to be "against" but support others.
    Why would that be silly? Other vaccines have a long history of success in PREVENTING infection and known long term effects, positive or negative. This one, not so much. Seems very silly to think that if everyone is vaccinated, there is no more COVID. I guess if everyone got the flu vaccine, there would be no flu?

vCash
    Agree, except I'm being serious instead of sarcastic. Who wants to go to a hospital and be treated by or attended to by someone who doesn't believe in vaccines? What other "alternative" beliefs might they have, and how would it affect their approach to work?
    Healthcare is completely based off of risk vs benefit. All of it. For a large majority of people, the risk profile of lasting negative effects from contracting and enduring a Covid infection is well below half of 1%. There is no vaccine, none that carry a lower risk profile than that. That?s why they pivoted to- it?s not about protecting yourself, but you have to be vaccinated for others, which is not how vaccines work. You are in a constant state of acquire and shed. Vaccines protect you from reacting when exposed, but doesn?t eliminate the shedding that you do after exposure. It helps to reduce your rate of infectiousness, but your vaccination status does not protect me or anyone else. You just remain asymptomatic. So, knowing this, it doesn?t mean that HC workers don?t believe in vaccines, but rather that they are having a hard time swallowing the turd that this vaccine is wrapped in.

vCash
    Vaccinated or unvaccinated, I don’t care. It’s your right to do as you see fit for yourself.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    A those who have had it (me twice)
    B those who have it
    C those who WILL get it

It’s not avoidable even with vaccines. That’s been proven by pro sports. Let’s move on and live. I choose to live like I’m alive not like I’m about to die. Every time you meet a car on the road you are with in 3 to 6 feet of death. Every time!!! Who is going to stop driving because of that? Nobody.

Merry Christmas y’all!!!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I've actually gotten one dose of the vaccine, but that's Bc I'm in my mid-40s. If I were in my 20s or 30s, there's no way I'd get the vaccine willingly. This vaccine is doing nothing but reducing how hard it hits you, and young, healthy people aren't at risk. Why do you have to believe that all people should be vaccinated or you're anti-vaccine?
    Agree. Power people ignore the science of natural immunity, data shows it is better than the shot. People die with the shot and studies just coming out of UK show 90% of cases are vaccinated people.

BTW, it isn't a vaccine. The narrative using the word vaccine is a mind game as well. It does not protect you as the name suggest so why keep pushing it?

BTW I am not anti vaccine or shot either but this one is different on so many levels.

vCash
    That's just not true. Breakthrough infections are possible (as with any vaccine), but it absolutely makes you less likely to get it.

Source: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...vaccine-status

Banned
    vCash
    Agree, except I'm being serious instead of sarcastic. Who wants to go to a hospital and be treated by or attended to by someone who doesn't believe in vaccines? What other "alternative" beliefs might they have, and how would it affect their approach to work?
    I would have no problem being treated by an unvaxed health worker and they shouldn't have to choose between their jobs and vax.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    ...they are having a hard time swallowing the turd that this vaccine is wrapped in.
    If this vaccine doesn't work, it's the greatest placebo in Earth's history. -\_(ツ)_/-

Banned
    vCash
    I am cool with that, if they are all vaccinated. But as long as we protect people's right to choose whether they are allowed to compete without having the vaccination, then it is our responsibility as a school to ensure our athletes are competing in as safe an environment as possible in the areas we can control. And that means testing.

I always look at it through the lens of who is responsible for a players health when they are in the care of the university. The university and the players share that responsibility. We all want the players to compete because they bring pride and happiness to the students and alumni. I will tell you, if the buck stopped with me, and I was responsible for the health of students in my care, every single one of them, teachers, guest lecturers, venders, concession workers, ticket collectors, hell the guy that changes the light bulbs, would be required to have full vaccination and any and all booster shots to touch the campus in any way possible. That would be the requirement for me to be responsible for their well being.

The vaccine has been taken at about 8.66 billion doses. It has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, to lessen the effects of the virus. The side effects are so slight, statistically they are not even worth mentioning. If everyone had the vaccine and boosters, there is practically a zero percent chance 18-22 year old players would have a single issue with the virus, even if they caught it.

Until they meet the vaccine requirement, the people actually responsible for their health gets to make that decision to test. Not me, you, or anyone else not responsible.

Banned
    vCash
    That's just not true. Breakthrough infections are possible (as with any vaccine), but it absolutely makes you less likely to get it.

You lost me at "CDC.GOV"

vCash
    Doesn't matter what the nurse or whoever believes because they have to execute the orders from the doctor regardless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    You lost me at "CDC.GOV"
    Good call. I'm pretty sure "science" says you can ignore numbers if you don't like them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Doesn't matter what the nurse or whoever believes because they have to execute the orders from the doctor regardless.
    Orders like "get yourself vaccinated to greatly reduce your risk of getting COVID and being unavailable or help patients (or even worse, spread it to them)" ?

vCash
    If this vaccine doesn't work, it's the greatest placebo in Earth's history. -\_(ツ)_/-
    No one says that it doesn?t work. In fact, I didn?t say anything about it?s effectiveness. Nice try, though.
    I explained why healthcare workers can choose against taking this vaccine and not be antivax. You seem like an all or nothing guy. Your obtuseness will always work against reason because you will desperately cling to the tree hoping folks will ignore the forest.

Banned
    vCash
    You lost me at "You lost me at "CDC.GOV""

Their numbers are about as clear as it gets. Your dismissal of their numbers says more about you, than you could ever say about yourself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    I am cool with that, if they are all vaccinated. But as long as we protect people's right to choose whether they are allowed to compete without having the vaccination, then it is our responsibility as a school to ensure our athletes are competing in as safe an environment as possible in the areas we can control. And that means testing.

I always look at it through the lens of who is responsible for a players health when they are in the care of the university. The university and the players share that responsibility. We all want the players to compete because they bring pride and happiness to the students and alumni. I will tell you, if the buck stopped with me, and I was responsible for the health of students in my care, every single one of them, teachers, guest lecturers, venders, concession workers, ticket collectors, hell the guy that changes the light bulbs, would be required to have full vaccination and any and all booster shots to touch the campus in any way possible. That would be the requirement for me to be responsible for their well being.

The vaccine has been taken at about 8.66 billion doses. It has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, to lessen the effects of the virus. The side effects are so slight, statistically they are not even worth mentioning. If everyone had the vaccine and boosters, there is practically a zero percent chance 18-22 year old players would have a single issue with the virus, even if they caught it.

Until they meet the vaccine requirement, the people actually responsible for their health gets to make that decision to test. Not me, you, or anyone else not responsible.
    Shall we take their driver?s license during their playing days at MSU? Take away their ability to swim? Socialize unsupervised? Choice of food? These are all things that carry higher negative risk factors for their health and age demographic than Covid.

vCash

Cleveland browns have 24 fully vaccinated players out with Covid. Nfl roster sizes are 53. Rare indeed...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    No one says that it doesn?t work. In fact, I didn?t say anything about it?s effectiveness. Nice try, though.
    I explained why healthcare workers can choose against taking this vaccine and not be antivax. You seem like an all or nothing guy. Your obtuseness will always work against reason because you will desperately cling to the tree hoping folks will ignore the forest.
    I'm the god damn King of Nuance. However, this particular situation doesn't have any. People should get vaccinated. There's no more "wait and see" - it's been given over 8 billion times worldwide. There's no ambiguity over whether it works. Nearly 300,000 people in America have died since the vaccine was available to everyone, and virtually all of them have been unvaccinated. Imagine what their families go through, knowing their loved one would almost certainly be alive today had they just gotten the shot.

I realize that a lot of you just don't think about stuff in the same way that I do, but it's just heartbreaking to watch hundreds of thousands of Americans (and counting!) die in vain when they didn't have to.

vCash
    Oh it works exactly like they hoped it would

In a presentation to investors, Pfizer Chief Scientific Officer Mikael Dolsten explained the company "expects some regions to continue to see pandemic levels of COVID-19 cases over the next year or two," per Reuters.

Pfizer expects to make nearly as much revenue just from COVID-19 vaccine sales alone in 2021 as it earned in all of 2020, the drugmaker said on Tuesday.

The company said it expects revenue from the vaccines to be $36 billion by the end of 2021, up from an estimated $33.5 billion the company had predicted earlier in the year.

In 2020, it brought in $41.9 billion in revenue.

vCash
    Cleveland browns have 24 fully vaccinated players out with Covid. Nfl roster sizes are 53. Rare indeed...
    I mean, I think you understand about small samples vs. large samples, don't you?

And it seems like just a few weeks ago we had a very prominent case (Aaron Rodgers) of a player lying about his vaccination status (and therefore breaking the NFL's rules about the behavior and masking of unvaccinated players), so how can we even trust whether that 24 number is true?