Thread: Perspective

vCash

Perspective

2021 was the perfect benchmark year. The benchmark for us, in my opinion, is a 7-5 season and going to the Liberty Bowl. Other factors may nudge the feeling a bit more positive or negative - direction of program, Egg Bowl results, who we beat, etc. And, I think there more more positive nudges this year than negative.

Perspective is from the eye of the beholder. I was born in Greenville in '71. Raised in Montgomery County. Pretty sure that my first game at MSU was 1979 when we played Marshall. We went to more games in Jackson than at MSU. My dad graduated from University of Arkansas - and grew to really love MSU. I think the common hatred of Ole Miss was one reason. I believe that the only thing I ever heard him say that he hated were - liars, thieves and Ole Miss. Ron Polk and the agriculture theme were other reasons. He guided me to major in engineering at MSU. I knew he had my best interest at heart - and I was more than happy to align. When I enrolled as a freshman at MSU in 1989, MSU had been to 6 bowl games - ever. I vaguely remember us making the 1980 Sun Bowl and 1981 Hall of Fame classic bowl. I don't think they were on TV - so I probably didn't find out who won until the next day. (Topic for another day - as a kid at Little League baseball practice, I remember my coach listening to Jim Ellis call the MSU baseball games. It's really mind boggling that I'm now 50 - and he's still calling the games!!!).

6 bowl games in our history when I set foot on campus in 1989. Since then, we've been to 19. 25 total bowl games - counting this year's Liberty Bowl. This will be our 5th trip to the Liberty Bowl. 3 times to the Orange Bowl (although 2 of them were 1936 and 1940). 3 to the Peach, 3 to the Gator, 2 to the Sun, 2 to the Music City Bowl. 1 time each to 7 different bowls.

I love bowl season. It's like a celebration of your team. My interest in college football goes way up when MSU is bowling and way down when we're not. I've attended 9 bowls - and can't wait to go to this years.

Attendance of prior Liberty Bowls.... We'll skip the one in Philadelphia in 1963....
    1991 was a huge one - broke a 10 year bowl-less streak. 61,497. I was offshore GOM and reluctantly missed this one.
    2007 was also a fun one - broke a 7 year bowl-less streak - 63,816. I brought my kids to this game - their first MSU game. Man, that was a cold game. But fun that we won!
    2013 was a bit of a ho-hum one - but Dak lit it up against Rice and we had 57,846 there. This was a fun one to be at too.
    We've been to the Liberty Bowl once per decade for the last 4 decades. Leach, Mullen, Croom (!), Sherrill all coached a Liberty Bowl.

I sure hope we get 60,000 plus at this year's bowl game. It would be great if our fan base became known as one who would travel & really support our team. Maybe that would make a difference in future bowl selections. Buy a ticket & go to the game.

It was a benchmark year - but I love MSU football & enjoy celebrating hitting the mark. For the youngsters - don't take a bowl game for granted.....

Hail State!
    Last edited by oildawg; 12-07-2021 at 04:44 AM.

vCash
    Great post. Hail State!

vCash
    Excellent post!

vCash
    Good post!

vCash
    Very good post.

Every time I think of the 2013 Liberty Bowl my ass feels like it's sitting on ice cubes. I couldn't feel my ass for a couple hours after that one. It was damn cold where I was sitting.

vCash
    Bowl games are like a 3rd nipple. Not everybody has one, but the novelty has worn off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Every time I think of the 2013 Liberty Bowl my ass feels like it's sitting on ice cubes. I couldn't feel my ass for a couple hours after that one. It was damn cold where I was sitting.
    It's really something how they managed to construct a stadium that amplifies the effects of both hot and cold weather so efficiently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    It's really something how they managed to construct a stadium that amplifies the effects of both hot and cold weather so efficiently.
    Well you nailed that one. Hottest and coldest I have ever been in a stadium. 1980 Memphis State. At night in September. People passing out. Water going for a premium. Absolute misery. John Bond had his debut that night. And of course Jackie and his debacle against Air Force in the Liberty Bowl. Felt like Antarctica.

vCash
    rep

vCash
    Good post. How'd it feel when you turned 50?

vCash
    It feels great. I'm sure others here can share their experiences ....but I'm thinking the keys to a long, happy life are - Sun, Steel, Steak, Sex (within holy matrimony for my personal religious beliefs) and throw in a little cowbell.