Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Texas O-Lineman set to make 150K/year

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    At that time, TX wasn't guaranteeing him a scholly and 150k per year.
    Downvotes_Hype

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    They get away with it because they have a collective bargaining agreement with a union. A union would look a lot different for players that were in theory only going to be there for 5 years. It may be doable, but it will be different.

I think it would be good if the P5 schools could convince players to unionize. Maybe give them six years of eligibility, require that players either be passing 24 hours a year or get a degree to stay eligible, and then set up a soft cap with a luxury tax that redistributes money either within the P5 schools or within each conference. Redistributing within the conference would allow us to pay more compared to other P5 programs outside of the SEC, but probably make it harder to compete within the SEC.
    Why would Bama, TX, aTm or GA agree to this?
    Downvotes_Hype

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgface View Post
    I wonder how the NFL gets away with a cap? Seems like the Supreme Court would frown on it. I'm like another poster tho.....my level of interest in college sports is quickly declining because of this crap.
    Good judicial question, butt apparently sports leagues are allowed to do so. NCAA is next once the bitchin starts. We need to roll with the punches and adapt or throw in the towel.

Still can't quit thinkin how some players cashing while others ain't will affect the locker room and the hunger for the NFL. Coddled and envious players mixed in could be bad.
    Last edited by OLJWales; 12-09-2021 at 01:54 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    No it is not enough. It all started when you locked these kids down, without the possibility to move freely from university to university. Then, sports became a gigantic business. Coaches salaries through the roof. Everyone making money, except the labor. Then they wouldn't allow people like Johnny Football sign autographs for money. Then they cracked down on as much as they could.

Any player should be able to get anything they can actually get within the law for payment. Some say they should do away with scholarships. Well, that would put MSU at an even bigger disadvantage. It is almost like College football players are demanding the same negotiating and earning potential rights as any other person on this planet for their efforts. Sounds reasonable to me.

There is only one option in my opinion. You either excel at this new system and get all the players guaranteed NIL money, or you will watch your entire athletic department get smoked. It is only a matter of time until Alabama guarantees so much money, they don't even have to put players on scholarship. Basically giving them 120 spots instead of 85. Just wait. We either start excelling at this new potential pathway, or we get trampled.
    Other people on this planet have to pay rent, for food, healthcare, clothes, and taxes. The last thing 95% of college athletes want is to be treated "as any other person this planet" Bc they are not worth the 100k a year they receive in all the things I just listed. And I was one of the 95%.

vCash
    It wouldn't be their decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgface View Post
    I wonder how the NFL gets away with a cap? Seems like the Supreme Court would frown on it. I'm like another poster tho.....my level of interest in college sports is quickly declining because of this crap.
    Bc they have a CBA. College will too soon.

vCash
    Because NCAA football is currently an arms race (or tournament structure, whichever you're more comfortable with) where the participants will largely be losers. By agreeing to a luxury tax, they would still keep their advantage over other schools, but there would also be something that keeps all the value that is generated by the university brand from being captured by minor league athletes. Other minor league athletes get paid basically nothing outside of what they get in exchange for tying future pro services to a particular major league franchise. There's really no reason that college football or basketball players should make 5 or 10 or 20 times the amount of other minor league athletes.

vCash
    Why do the Cowboys and NY/LA teams agree to NFL rules that help the small market teams at their expense?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    They get away with it because they have a collective bargaining agreement with a union. A union would look a lot different for players that were in theory only going to be there for 5 years. It may be doable, but it will be different.

I think it would be good if the P5 schools could convince players to unionize. Maybe give them six years of eligibility, require that players either be passing 24 hours a year or get a degree to stay eligible, and then set up a soft cap with a luxury tax that redistributes money either within the P5 schools or within each conference. Redistributing within the conference would allow us to pay more compared to other P5 programs outside of the SEC, but probably make it harder to compete within the SEC.
    This sounds good. I'm all for players getting whatever the market wants to give them, but it is much better for the game to spread that talent out amongst all of the major conference teams. Keeping all schools within an attainable set budget is a great way to do that.

I also think the conference networks should start paying players en masse, and do so in a way that incentivizes talent to spread out instead of concentrate.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Why do the Cowboys and NY/LA teams agree to NFL rules that help the small market teams at their expense?
    Survival of the enterprise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Survival of the enterprise.
    Bingo.

vCash
    No it is not enough. It all started when you locked these kids down, without the possibility to move freely from university to university. Then, sports became a gigantic business. Coaches salaries through the roof. Everyone making money, except the labor. Then they wouldn't allow people like Johnny Football sign autographs for money. Then they cracked down on as much as they could.

Any player should be able to get anything they can actually get within the law for payment. Some say they should do away with scholarships. Well, that would put MSU at an even bigger disadvantage. It is almost like College football players are demanding the same negotiating and earning potential rights as any other person on this planet for their efforts. Sounds reasonable to me.

There is only one option in my opinion. You either excel at this new system and get all the players guaranteed NIL money, or you will watch your entire athletic department get smoked. It is only a matter of time until Alabama guarantees so much money, they don't even have to put players on scholarship. Basically giving them 120 spots instead of 85. Just wait. We either start excelling at this new potential pathway, or we get trampled.
    If they kill the golden goose, no one gets paid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    If they kill the golden goose, no one gets paid.
    Yep.

I think that after a couple of years the "newness" will wear off and NIL is going to do what it was designed to do - the SEC and other leagues will establish better rule making allow players to benefit from autograph sessions, endorsements with local restaurants and car dealers, and low dollar benefits and see that the playing field becomes more level by restricting deals like Texas'. I wouldn't be surprised if they force any cash deals to be put into a pool to benefit the whole team not just singular position units or players.
    Each school will have an un-official NIL "broker" or 2, and instead of hearing whats her name say "Downtown Louisville" on the jumbo tron, it will be Will Rogers and Jaden Walley, and the program you buy will have players in all the ads.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash

Solution to P2W

Start new leagues for schools who want p2p players. TX, AL, A&M would leave the SEC and play in the new semipro college league. Other non sec who like the pay to play model will do the same. This would keep the relative purity of college athletes in effect and operate the same way as it always has. The P2P leagues wouldn't be subject to the "you only won because you paid players " demonization because they partnered with other teams that share the same interests. Once you are in the "premium" league you don't get back for 8 years and only after a vote of conference members. Same for other sports. State and Vandy and LSU for baseball maybe OM. Auburn, Ark, mO for basketball, etc...