Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas O-Lineman set to make 150K/year

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash

Texas O-Lineman set to make 150K/year

vCash
    Wow. Going to be hard to compete. I guess it already is though.

vCash
    Better get right or get left.

vCash
    When texas and aTm figure out how to use their money, they're gonna be a handful

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    When texas and aTm figure out how to use their money, they're gonna be a handful
    In the world of big money, you are right. They are not going to keep being stupid. Bama about to have some competition.

vCash
    I don't think it changes things that much. They will get the same guys they would get anyways. They are just bidding between themselves as to which TX school they go to. All those TX schools have money. It will get deluded.

vCash
    This is just the start. 150K is the opening bid. Once other schools start to bid, the price will go up from there. This sets the price for the 3 and 4 Star Recruits that Texas already gets.

vCash
    I love MSU with all my heart, but if I'm an offensive lineman and I have offers from MSU and Texas....

I'm going with the 50k. Sorry, not sorry.

We better get with the program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I love MSU with all my heart, but if I'm an offensive lineman and I have offers from MSU and Texas....

I'm going with the 50k. Sorry, not sorry.

We better get with the program.
    One thing that could factor in to it though is which program is more likely to develop a kid into an NFL draft pick. Some kids will take the up front money, some will look at what's best in the long run. Still, we need to try to be competitive with the NIL money.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Not to worry guys, we have the Legacy Group who has done??oh yea that?s right absolutely nothing. The only thing they will ever help us with is MAYBE baseball. Which as much as I hate to admit it, that is probably exactly how Cohen wants it.

vCash
    I struggle with this NIL thing so much. These kids are getting a free 100k plus education with room and board, and most meals taken care of as well. Like seriously is that not enough?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    I struggle with this NIL thing so much. These kids are getting a free 100k plus education with room and board, and most meals taken care of as well. Like seriously is that not enough?
    Totally agree. What our world needs more of is more entitled people being entitled some more. It will be the end of a great nation. Already is the end of college sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Totally agree. What our world needs more of is more entitled people being entitled some more. It will be the end of a great nation. Already is the end of college sports.
    It’s just sad! I get your family might be in a bad spot, a lot of families are. But the difference is you are getting a free education, and those other kids aren’t. So you both get out with a degree to help your family except the regular student has 10s of thousands in student loan debt.

vCash
    I worry this is going cause me watch college football about like I watch pro ball now(not very much).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    I worry this is going cause me watch college football about like I watch pro ball now(not very much).
    Yeah! Which sucks, college football is the last bastion of hope for purity in sports.

vCash
    A kid my son played pee wee football with was a true FR lineman for UT this year. I have no idea if he red shirted or not.

MSU is going to have to get organized around NIL, and if JC can?t do it we are going to have to find someone to bring in to organize it for him.

vCash
    What if I said your salary was too high, and some lower amount was "enough" ?

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    No it is not enough. It all started when you locked these kids down, without the possibility to move freely from university to university. Then, sports became a gigantic business. Coaches salaries through the roof. Everyone making money, except the labor. Then they wouldn't allow people like Johnny Football sign autographs for money. Then they cracked down on as much as they could.

Any player should be able to get anything they can actually get within the law for payment. Some say they should do away with scholarships. Well, that would put MSU at an even bigger disadvantage. It is almost like College football players are demanding the same negotiating and earning potential rights as any other person on this planet for their efforts. Sounds reasonable to me.

There is only one option in my opinion. You either excel at this new system and get all the players guaranteed NIL money, or you will watch your entire athletic department get smoked. It is only a matter of time until Alabama guarantees so much money, they don't even have to put players on scholarship. Basically giving them 120 spots instead of 85. Just wait. We either start excelling at this new potential pathway, or we get trampled.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    No it is not enough. It all started when you locked these kids down, without the possibility to move freely from university to university. Then, sports became a gigantic business. Coaches salaries through the roof. Everyone making money, except the labor. Then they wouldn't allow people like Johnny Football sign autographs for money. Then they cracked down on as much as they could.

Any player should be able to get anything they can actually get within the law for payment. Some say they should do away with scholarships. Well, that would put MSU at an even bigger disadvantage. It is almost like College football players are demanding the same negotiating and earning potential rights as any other person on this planet for their efforts. Sounds reasonable to me.

There is only one option in my opinion. You either excel at this new system and get all the players guaranteed NIL money, or you will watch your entire athletic department get smoked. It is only a matter of time until Alabama guarantees so much money, they don't even have to put players on scholarship. Basically giving them 120 spots instead of 85. Just wait. We either start excelling at this new potential pathway, or we get trampled.
    If they kill the golden goose, no one gets paid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    If they kill the golden goose, no one gets paid.
    Yep.

I think that after a couple of years the "newness" will wear off and NIL is going to do what it was designed to do - the SEC and other leagues will establish better rule making allow players to benefit from autograph sessions, endorsements with local restaurants and car dealers, and low dollar benefits and see that the playing field becomes more level by restricting deals like Texas'. I wouldn't be surprised if they force any cash deals to be put into a pool to benefit the whole team not just singular position units or players.
    Each school will have an un-official NIL "broker" or 2, and instead of hearing whats her name say "Downtown Louisville" on the jumbo tron, it will be Will Rogers and Jaden Walley, and the program you buy will have players in all the ads.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18