Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To all of our fans complaining about

vCash

To all of our fans complaining about

The Liberty Bowl and Memphis where were you when we played in the Outback Bowl? We had a piss poor showing ? Iowa had us out numbered 5-1. Music City in 2019 was worse ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolfer View Post
    The Liberty Bowl and Memphis where were you when we played in the Outback Bowl? We had a piss poor showing ? Iowa had us out numbered 5-1. Music City in 2019 was worse ?
    I'm happy when our fans complain, it means they want something more. Hopefully we never become "happy" with the Liberty bowl. Now that being said, Cohen and company are going to have to come up with some kind of program to try to get more of our fans to participate financially. We have way too many people that give zero, and expect us to compete with the best teams in America. The fact that we only have about 14K donors ranked in the BC is pretty bad.

vCash

Good point?

My issue is the fact that we have been given opportunity to show up as a fan base we have not represented well? ( Outback Bowl, Music City Bowl) msybe it?s just that bowl games have lost their appeal no matter the location ? But many of our ?Twitter expert fans ? just want something to complain about on Twitter-Verse? That said, we went all out in Omaha this year so we have the ability to show up when we are energized ?

vCash
    You are either in the playoff or you are playing a glorified scrimmage. The players should have a good time in Memphis and that's what is most important. I will enjoy the game on TV. If I was in my 20's, I would probably go to Memphis and have a good time.

vCash
    I was at Outback Bowl. set me back about $3k I live an hour from Memphis, not going to Liberty Bowl. I dont go to Memphis unless I have to for work.
    As far as BDC what good does it do you to be in it? Fans from other schools get better tickets at our own home games from Faculty or Stubhub.
    Last edited by Leeshouldveflanked; 12-05-2021 at 08:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    I was at Outback Bowl. set me back about $3k I live an hour from Memphis, not going to Liberty Bowl. I dont go to Memphis unless I have to for work.
    As far as BDC what good does it do you to be in it? Fans from other schools get better tickets at our own home games from Faculty or Stubhub.
    Maybe the faculty should get free UPPER deck tickets. Or lose ticket privileges for selling them to opposing fans. They are reserved seats so should be easy to find the guilty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    I'm happy when our fans complain, it means they want something more. Hopefully we never become "happy" with the Liberty bowl. Now that being said, Cohen and company are going to have to come up with some kind of program to try to get more of our fans to participate financially. We have way too many people that give zero, and expect us to compete with the best teams in America. The fact that we only have about 14K donors ranked in the BC is pretty bad.
    I think specific to Memphis, it's more people on this board are the suburban type or never left their small MS town of 10,000 and scared to go to Memphis because their friends told them it's too scary. In general though, I think half this board likes to bitch about attendance while going to 1 game a year and posting about how Cohen and Keenum need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    See above, what an embarrassing thing to say when you live so close and won't go support your school on a day trip.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    I think specific to Memphis, it's more people on this board are the suburban type or never left their small MS town of 10,000 and scared to go to Memphis because their friends told them it's too scary. In general though, I think half this board likes to bitch about attendance while going to 1 game a year and posting about how Cohen and Keenum need to go.

See above, what an embarrassing thing to say when you live so close and won't go support your school on a day trip.
    I don't doubt a bit that memphis can be a dangerous city, but I've been countless times and never felt threatened

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolfer View Post
    My issue is the fact that we have been given opportunity to show up as a fan base we have not represented well? ( Outback Bowl, Music City Bowl) msybe it?s just that bowl games have lost their appeal no matter the location ? But many of our ?Twitter expert fans ? just want something to complain about on Twitter-Verse? That said, we went all out in Omaha this year so we have the ability to show up when we are energized ?
    It wouldn't matter...

Senior Member Vandownbytheriver's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't doubt a bit that memphis can be a dangerous city, but I've been countless times and never felt threatened
    It's like any other big city. There are parts you stay out of. The Liberty Bowl isn't in the best area, but it's also not the worst. I never felt any danger at the Memphis game myself, their fans are just asses. I go to the Nike Clearance store in Whitehaven all the time and never feel like I'm in any danger. As long as you're not drawing unnecessary attention to yourself you'll be fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Maybe the faculty should get free UPPER deck tickets. Or lose ticket privileges for selling them to opposing fans. They are reserved seats so should be easy to find the guilty.
    Again, there is this narrative that faculty sells tickets to opposing team fans. Are people saying they do this on purpose?

Because, my guess is the faculty sells tickets to whomever will buy them. Seems if there was a market of Msu fans willing to buy, MSU fans would be sitting there.

Which is my next point, move the faculty to upper deck. Kick them out of the stadium. You will still have a mix of MSU fans and opposing fans sitting there. Because state fans are simply not coming to games.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 12-05-2021 at 10:07 PM.

vCash
    As lack luster as our home attendance has been since 2019, I thought the crowd was 50/50 for both the Outback and Music city. Maybe my memory is foggy. Anyways I was at both.

Also for the guy that spent 3k on the outback. Thanks! I don't feel so bad now. I spent $1.5k. BTW That white knuckle 90 mph thrill ride from Atlanta to the Orlando/Tampa split was worth every penny of the trip. Ha!

vCash
    I was very disappointed with our Outback showing especially after MSU fans complained about not going there in 1999.

Music City Bowl was probably hurt somewhat by Joe and the Shrader/Gay incident. Had that incident not occurred after I bought tickets I wouldn't have gone myself.

Now the Liberty Bowl let's examine our last few visits there:

1991- Jackie's first year after we ended a decade long bowl drought.

2007- After we ended a seven year bowl drought.

2013- After we ended the year on a strong note and Dak started to show that he was special.

Every one of those appearances was after an Egg Bowl win as well. The above reasons are why we historically draw well there.

The issue here is ESPN in part wants Mike Leach vs Texas Tech.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I go up there often and feel the same. If I can make any suggestion, I?d recommend staying in Olive Branch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    I go up there often and feel the same. If I can make any suggestion, I?d recommend staying in Olive Branch.
    I can't remember a time where MSU fans were actually robbed en masse. Usually for games there will be a police presence.

Birmingham at Legion Field was probably the worst area I remember for one of our games that I've gone to.

vCash
    The city is a dump, the stadium is a dump, the Bowl is crap. Good chance of it being 40 degrees and raining. I can support MSU a lot better by sending a check than sitting in the Liberty Bowl on a cold December Night. Next year beat Memphis, LSU, UPig and most of all Beat Ole Miss.
    Last edited by Leeshouldveflanked; 12-06-2021 at 06:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I can't remember a time where MSU fans were actually robbed en masse. Usually for games there will be a police presence.

Birmingham at Legion Field was probably the worst area I remember for one of our games that I've gone to.
    I guess a lot of fans didn't explore the area immediately around the GA Dome after the Peach Bowls & SECC. At the time, that area was as bad or worse than anything in Memphis is now. Now that area is full of loft apartments and great restaurants. Anyone whoever got lost and wound up on Luckie St. in the middle of Techwood Homes knows what I'm talking about.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    [QUOTE=DEDawg;1392731]I think specific to Memphis, it's more people on this board are the suburban type or never left their small MS town of 10,000 and scared to go to Memphis because their friends told them it's too scary. In general though, I think half this board likes to bitch about attendance while going to 1 game a year and posting about how Cohen and Keenum need to go.

You're just wrong .... a lot of us swore off that crap venue the last time we went .... And Memphis doesn't scare me - I live in Atlanta.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Last time I was there was 2007 and there was NO outside traffic control - Didn't see a cop until I got to the stadium gate. Then the crowds were trying to get into the stadium only to find their gates were closed ... By the time we reached our seat it was the end of the 1st qtr. Very bad experience is why a lot of folks don't want to go back
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    I think specific to Memphis, it's more people on this board are the suburban type or never left their small MS town of 10,000 and scared to go to Memphis because their friends told them it's too scary.
    This has basically nothing to do with it. If anything, it's the people who never leave their small MS town who might think going to Memphis for a weekend is appealing. Memphis is just not an appealing city to visit for the most part. If you look at the other bowl locations, ignoring the prestige of the bowl, I would say outside of Shreveport (I guess we still have some sort of tie-in there?), Memphis is probably the least desirable location or maybe ahead of Birmingham depending on your preferences. And just like with a lot of live sporting events, the improvement of the TV experience I think has put more pressure on bowl games to offer something besides the live experience. Nashville, Tampa, Jacksonville, Houston, etc. are all places I would be interested in going to for a long weekend trip. Memphis is definitely worth visiting once or twice because it does have some unique character, but it's not a place most people want to go back to over and over again, and most of our fans I'm sure have gone to Memphis many times.

In general though, I think half this board likes to bitch about attendance while going to 1 game a year and posting about how Cohen and Keenum need to go.
    I don't know about half, but certainly this is true of some people.