Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This needs to be Howland's last year

vCash
    3 previous years before Williams: 30-48 (18-38)

3 previous years before howland: 37-60 (13-41)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    3 previous years before Williams: 30-48 (18-38)

3 previous years before howland: 37-60 (13-41)
    If we could let Howland recruit and Williams be our floor coach you would probably have a much better overall basketball product.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    If we could let Howland recruit and Williams be our floor coach you would probably have a much better overall basketball product.
    Howland certainly is frustrating. I certainly think he underachieves with what he has. On the other hand, I think he overachieves in getting talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    ****ing stupid fans. That Minnesota team is clearly very good.

Let the team get deeper in the season.
    They will finish in the bottom half of the Big 10! They?re solid but they?re not ?very good?!
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    We just have to decide if going around .500 in the SEC and usually being a Bubble Out team, but maybe getting in the NCAA Tournament a little bit, and not having off-the-court drama and program embarrassments, is good enough for us.

If we go to coaching roulette, it can get a lot worse, like it did in 2012. Or maybe we can strike it rich.
    Maybe in? He's made one tournament here. He's past his expiration date. Let Adidas send us a new coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MCsMGs View Post
    Yes...our affiliation with Adidas is what got Howland here. Also, the shoe companies have big time influence in AAU ball which translates into big influence in recruiting.
    So, does that limit our ability to move off of Howland and dictate who we have to consider as replacement?

vCash
    It would help quite a bit to have an Adidas affiliated HC. Adidas will spend money we dont have to
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    It would help quite a bit to have an Adidas affiliated HC. Adidas will spend money we dont have to
    Thanks for the clarification. I knew basketball seemed different than other sports.

vCash
    The game has long passed Howland by. We shouldn't fire him, because who knows what we would end up with. It would probably be RickRay2.0.

Howland is a dinosaur whose best years are behind him. That meteor is coming soon if he doesn't give up the ghost first.

vCash
    Howland is kind of Stansbury-lite at this point. It's just kind of "meh" whether we keep him or not. But, there's really no reason to fire him unless we plan to get serious. By that, I mean, do what Alabama has done with Saban. Find the best, most sure thing out there, and offer him a truck load of money. Pay $10M/yr. Break the bank. Show you mean it. Get a "sure" thing, as much as there can be one in coaching. Another normal coaching search? Just keep Howland. Go big, or go home. I'm sure we'll go home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    Howland is kind of Stansbury-lite at this point. It's just kind of "meh" whether we keep him or not. But, there's really no reason to fire him unless we plan to get serious. By that, I mean, do what Alabama has done with Saban. Find the best, most sure thing out there, and offer him a truck load of money. Pay $10M/yr. Break the bank. Show you mean it. Get a "sure" thing, as much as there can be one in coaching. Another normal coaching search? Just keep Howland. Go big, or go home. I'm sure we'll go home.
    We could go the Gregg Marshall or Rick pitino route.

vCash
    We could go the Gregg Marshall or Rick pitino route.
    Yeah, it's definitely easier said than done. I never heard exactly what happened with Gregg Marshall, but it might be worth a shot. Unless whatever he did was pretty bad. I really don't know.

vCash
    I've generally remained a Howland defender and I'm still in his court, but man it's getting frustrating the more I see us throw the ball around the perimeter a few times, then jack a contested three and run back the other way. We don't need to go Princeton offense or anything, but it just seems like a little more consistent activity to get us more open looks in the half court would go a long way.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    I've generally remained a Howland defender and I'm still in his court, but man it's getting frustrating the more I see us throw the ball around the perimeter a few times, then jack a contested three and run back the other way. We don't need to go Princeton offense or anything, but it just seems like a little more consistent activity to get us more open looks in the half court would go a long way.
    What had me excited was the pre-season hype about our bigs in the paint. Sad.

vCash
    Anybody that thought this year was going to be any different was only kidding themselves. Howland is who he is. I like the guy but his best coaching days are behind him. The offense will be boring most games. We will win a game or 2 that's a highlight win. Your die hard fans will complain about not having full fan support. We will go and lose to a team we have no business losing to that kills any fan momentum. We'll mess around and probably squeeze our way into the tournament on talent alone, then exit in the first round or 2.

Could our program be better? Yes. Could our program be worse? Yes. The administration has to decide if they'll do away with "meh" results in exchange for potentially elevating or crashing the program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    What had me excited was the pre-season hype about our bigs in the paint. Sad.
    You realize those bigs have practiced together for all of 1 week tomorrow, right?
    Last edited by msstate7; 12-06-2021 at 01:22 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    Having been at MSU during the early '90's when Richard Williams had the place rocking with Mississippi kids and standard near sellouts, I can't even stand to watch these days. There were more students at Williams' open practices than fans in the Hump these days. We beat Shaq and LSU 6 straight with noone on the court over 6'7" tall. It's called coaching.
    True. 6-7 Cameron Burns tore Shaq and Roberts a new one back then. Shaq wasn't even the best player on the floor either - it was Chris Jackson.

We have so much talent now but just no chemistry or enough motivation. X&Os doesn't look good either. We have to do something. Howland can get talent but what is the point is you don't do anything with it.

Banned
    vCash
    You realize those bigs have practiced together for all of 1 week tomorrow, right?
    Thanks. Can you re
    mind me why that's the case?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Thanks. Can you re
    mind me why that's the case?
    T. Smith has been hurt

vCash
    While Howland is frustrating, he hasn?t done anything to warrant a firing. My hope is that after this year he retires. I don?t expect to land a top coach, but I think we have a better chance of finding someone from a mid major that would want our job. It?s not like after Stansbury where we had off court issues and shady dealings. Alabama made a great hire in Nate Oats so I don?t see why we can?t pull someone of that quality from the mid majors and bring them here.